Mad About The Musicals Spring 2016 Tour

Yorksheather

Thanks for the report Linda, you're much better than I am at these things as I just get caught up in watching and don't register who's singing what!

As Linda said, Gareth's voice was excellent and even though it wasn't a large audience they were very vocal, especially for Gareth and there was a standing ovation and lots of cheering at the end.

Very envious of you going to Telford Linda, I'm hoping to see it again at some point but not sure where.

Love Val xx

We love to hear your reports too.

Each of us notices different things which help us all who aren't going to the show.

Good to hear Gareth was getting the support from the audience. :thumbsup:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems Empty Chairs wasn't in tonights show either

@Gareth_Gates well done, great performance! We'd like to have seen empty chairs rather than a half a 6pence but maybe that's an age thing

I'm starting to wonder that this is nothing to do with Gareth'as voice and it's just been taken out of the show.

Guest NicolaJayne

Thank you for your lovely report Linda and what a fantastic memory you have for who sang what.

I went to Momentous Musicals and have seen Mad about the Musicals but could never have remembered the difference or even what songs were in Momentous Musicals as it seems such a long time ago now.

I am looking forward to seeing the show again at Stevenage this weekend.

Glad you have enjoyed my report of seeing MATM in Warrington.

Elaine, I was comparing the show to the version performed last year not to Momentous Musical -. have a great time seeing the show in Stevenage tomorrow, I'm going to Telford tonight.

Guest NicolaJayne
Glad you have enjoyed my report of seeing MATM in Warrington.

Elaine, I was comparing the show to the version performed last year not to Momentous Musical -. have a great time seeing the show in Stevenage tomorrow, I'm going to Telford tonight.

Oh I see Linda, sorry for the misunderstanding, it's usually late at night when I read the news on here and must have been half asleep

Guest NicolaJayne

I went to see mad about the Musicals last night with Linda, in Stevenage, setting off at 4 30pm, show didn't start till 7 45pm so plenty

of time. But we had a bite to eat at McDonald's and no problem parking, so far too much time as it happened. But never mind better to be early.

Just before we went in to take our seats in the front row we saw some familiar faces a girl called Kelly and her Mum, who we met at St Albans in November the last time we saw the show. So had a little chat with them before we went in, they were also on the front row to the right of us.

The Gordon Craig theatre at Stevenage is a funny place, we saw Boogie nights there but it was downstairs in the Leisure Centre, this show was upstairs in what must be the main theatre.

Not a lot I can say about the show as it has all been said really, apart from the fact that I didn't think that Gareth sang as many songs as the last time we saw it and Linda thought the same too. . The girls and Michael seemed to sing more.

Gareth looked very smart in a dark shirt and bow tie for the first half and the beard really suited him, making him look very dapper.

For the second half he had changed his shirt to a white one and black normal tie.

His voice sounded fine and he didn't seem to be having any problems but didn't sing Empty Chairs and Empty Tables which he did the last time we saw the show last year.

We found it strange that there were no programmes on sale at this show, which didn't matter to us as we had our programme from last year, that he signed for us.

The theatre wasn't full but everyone there thoroughly enjoyed themselves! And Gareth got a huge cheer every time he came on stage.

At the end of the show Michael said Gareth was the nicest person he had ever met, and thanked the cast for being very supportive over the last few weeks as 2 weeks ago his partner had given birth to a new baby and he had had very little sleep.

Michael said just before the interval he wanted to liven things up a bit, to which I said bring Gareth on then. He then said to go to the stage door after downstairs in the car park. Which sounded promising.

So after the show we made our way to what we thought was the stage door but there were doors all around the theatre and parking on every side, so we weren't really sure where the stage door was and wished we had had a good look round in all the spare time we had before the show. Well no one was at the door we went to and a girl came up to say is this the stage door, to which I said it can't be as there is no one here and I knew Kelly was going to the stage door. So we walked all the way round the theatre and eventually found a little group, so knew we were at the right place.

But it was a good job that we went straight there as Gareth came out almost as soon as we got there, in fact the first which is unlike him, but think he was dashing to get back to London as he had Missy for the weekend.

I asked him why he didn't sing Empty Chairs and he pointed to his throat, so must still not be fully recovered, which is a shame.

I told I liked his beard and couldn't resist a feel of it, and found it was very soft and not bristly at all. I must admit I Wasn't sure about it at first but it really suited him.

I also asked him if his horse had run yet and he said no, 25th of May, so we will have to look out for that. But as usual lots of questions but so little time. My husband wasn't there to take pics for us this time and it was very dark at the stage door, so didn't think they would come out on my phone. So Gareth knowing what we are like with a camera took the pics himself, the reason that they are so close.

I was pleased to see someone else besides us had problems, so Gareth did the same for them too.

Gareth is so lovely, what other star would take their own pics.

We stayed to see Gareth have pics with the others and then in a flash he was off.

So we said Goodbye to Kelly and her Mum and gave her my Facebook details and set off for home.

Then as we were walking round to Linda's car in the car park, Gareths black Range Rover passed and he hooted his horn at us.

We went home happy as last time when we saw Footloose at Dartford in February, we didn't see him after.

Thank you Heather for the link to the video, really don't know how they managed to film it as we were told as we went in no photography allowed.

Thanks for your lovely report and pictures Elaine. They are very good. Gareth took pics for me when I saw him in MATM last year and they were the best pics I've ever had taken with him. He must have an eye for it. Glad you managed to see him after missing out last time.

Enjoyed your report Elaine as usual. Lovely photos too. I'm going in a few weeks to see this, but disappointed he isn't singing Empty chairs. According to press review I read recently many of the songs in the show are from little known musicals. Did you think that? Also don't like beard so hope it's not going to be permanent!!

Guest NicolaJayne

I wasn't keen on the song from Jesus Christ Superstar and did wish that he had sung something from Joseph, "Close every Door to me" would have been better. But maybe Gareth wasn't the person choosing the songs,

But no matter what Gareth sings, he puts such a lot into it, that he makes the song dynamic and special, even if it is not one of my favourites.

I noticed close Every Door wasn't in the show last year and would of been a good one but I do like the Jesus Christ Superstar one but maybe they could of left that one out and had Empty Chairs as I don't think that would of been more of a strain on his voice so like you say it may not of been Gareths choice.

Whilst I love everything that Gareth sings, I especially like to hear songs I've not heard him sing before and I now love all the songs he sings in Mad About The Musicals (even those new to me). This show is now in its 10th year, so can't just feature the best known songs from musical theatre or it would be criticised for not changing over the years. I think it contains a good mix of the well-known and the less-known. Also, for balance in the show, there is only one other number from Jesus Christ Superstar whereas there are five other songs from Les Miserables.

Guest NicolaJayne

Me too Linda and l love Gareth singing "Half a sixpence" .

I have neve seen "Jesus Christ Superstar" so not familiar with the songs from that.

I went to Mad About The Musicals again last Friday in Telford. I had an easy drive down mainly on A roads and arrived sometime after 4pm. As it was the start of rush hour, I parked near the theatre (rather than going into the centre of Telford) and had a bit of a wander around. Once again I did not spot a single poster advertising the show - not even outside the theatre. I did however find the stage door which was tucked well away round the back of the building with the tour vans and minibus parked outside. I also virtually bumped into Rosanne and Manny (the lead guitarist) and said that I was coming to the show (they seemed surprised to have been recognised).

Eventually it was time to go in. Karen was once again there selling programmes, etc. (I'm surprised there were none on sale in Stevenage, Elaine), although they were £4 each rather than £3 that I paid in Warrington. I'm also delighted to say that there is a DVD on sale (£15) of a recording of the entire show from last year (I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere so I checked with Karen that it was OK to say something about it). Of course I bought one. I haven't watched it properly but have skipped through it a couple of times and it is excellent (think trailer but much longer). Apart from the two songs from Jekyll and Hyde that I mentioned in my earlier post and Nichola is in it rather than Kate, it has everything from this year's show plus Granada, Hammer To Fall (with Gareth taking the lead), We Are The Champions and Empty Chairs At Empty Tables (all of which feature Gareth) and also Now (sung by Michael and Rosanne). I told Karen that I was extremely pleased that they had produced this - I shall certainly be watching this very often and evoking special memories.

There is not much to add about the show (sadly once again the theatre was only about half full, although there were plenty of cheers and applause, especially when a certain young man was on stage). When Bruce (the musical director) introduced his monkeys, Gareth came on to be compared with the chimp named Gareth. There were also plenty of 'beard' jokes from Michael. During Starlight Express the two sides of the theatre were lit up with hundreds of twinkling stars. After the song Michael commented that Gareth had just said the campest thing as he walked off - something like "Weren't the stars lovely", which led to a bit of ad-libbing and mickey-taking by Michael (all in fun though). The set list was exactly the same as in Warrington (you are correct, Elaine, that Gareth sang less songs than last year).

After the show I went to the stage door and, apart from one girl waiting nearer the car park, I was the only person there. Gareth's car was parked outside and after a while he came out and we had a quick chat. Then it was time to drive back home - again a much easier journey than the previous week.

Absolutely love this show and could watch it time after time.

Pleased you had a good time again :) I can imagine you'll be playing the cd lots, it's a shame the theatre was only about half full as it's such an amazing show. i'm guessing Gareth still sings a lot even though not as many as last year as last year i noticed it seems like he was included in tons, many more tha other shows of its type he's done.

Guest NicolaJayne

Thank you for your brilliant report of your visit to Telford Linda

Gareth didn't come out at Stevenage unfortunately when the monkeys were introduced.

I also found it very strange that no programmes were for sale as it generates a lot more money.

Also I never knew there was a DVD of the show, would definately have bought one had I known.

Pleased that you managed to see Gareth after As that is always a. Nice ending to the evening and puts a spring in your step for the journey back home.

I went to see mad about the Musicals last night with Linda, in Stevenage, setting off at 4 30pm, show didn't start till 7 45pm so plenty

of time. But we had a bite to eat at McDonald's and no problem parking, so far too much time as it happened. But never mind better to be early.

Just before we went in to take our seats in the front row we saw some familiar faces a girl called Kelly and her Mum, who we met at St Albans in November the last time we saw the show. So had a little chat with them before we went in, they were also on the front row to the right of us.

The Gordon Craig theatre at Stevenage is a funny place, we saw Boogie nights there but it was downstairs in the Leisure Centre, this show was upstairs in what must be the main theatre.

Not a lot I can say about the show as it has all been said really, apart from the fact that I didn't think that Gareth sang as many songs as the last time we saw it and Linda thought the same too. . The girls and Michael seemed to sing more.

Gareth looked very smart in a dark shirt and bow tie for the first half and the beard really suited him, making him look very dapper.

For the second half he had changed his shirt to a white one and black normal tie.

His voice sounded fine and he didn't seem to be having any problems but didn't sing Empty Chairs and Empty Tables which he did the last time we saw the show last year.

We found it strange that there were no programmes on sale at this show, which didn't matter to us as we had our programme from last year, that he signed for us.

The theatre wasn't full but everyone there thoroughly enjoyed themselves! And Gareth got a huge cheer every time he came on stage.

At the end of the show Michael said Gareth was the nicest person he had ever met, and thanked the cast for being very supportive over the last few weeks as 2 weeks ago his partner had given birth to a new baby and he had had very little sleep.

Michael said just before the interval he wanted to liven things up a bit, to which I said bring Gareth on then. He then said to go to the stage door after downstairs in the car park. Which sounded promising.

So after the show we made our way to what we thought was the stage door but there were doors all around the theatre and parking on every side, so we weren't really sure where the stage door was and wished we had had a good look round in all the spare time we had before the show. Well no one was at the door we went to and a girl came up to say is this the stage door, to which I said it can't be as there is no one here and I knew Kelly was going to the stage door. So we walked all the way round the theatre and eventually found a little group, so knew we were at the right place.

But it was a good job that we went straight there as Gareth came out almost as soon as we got there, in fact the first which is unlike him, but think he was dashing to get back to London as he had Missy for the weekend.

I asked him why he didn't sing Empty Chairs and he pointed to his throat, so must still not be fully recovered, which is a shame.

I told I liked his beard and couldn't resist a feel of it, and found it was very soft and not bristly at all. I must admit I Wasn't sure about it at first but it really suited him.

I also asked him if his horse had run yet and he said no, 25th of May, so we will have to look out for that. But as usual lots of questions but so little time. My husband wasn't there to take pics for us this time and it was very dark at the stage door, so didn't think they would come out on my phone. So Gareth knowing what we are like with a camera took the pics himself, the reason that they are so close.

I was pleased to see someone else besides us had problems, so Gareth did the same for them too.

Gareth is so lovely, what other star would take their own pics.

We stayed to see Gareth have pics with the others and then in a flash he was off.

So we said Goodbye to Kelly and her Mum and gave her my Facebook details and set off for home.

Then as we were walking round to Linda's car in the car park, Gareths black Range Rover passed and he hooted his horn at us.

We went home happy as last time when we saw Footloose at Dartford in February, we didn't see him after.

Thank you Heather for the link to the video, really don't know how they managed to film it as we were told as we went in no photography allowed.

Thanks for a great report Elaine.

Blimey it must be difficult for Micheal's other half having a new baby and him being on tour.

So the horse must be running today??

Thanks Linda for another report keeping us up date with all the songs being sung and the changes being made. Expect it keeps them all on their toes.

I can't help thinking that one advert taken out in a major newspaper giving details of the shows and its dates will have filled a few more seats.

Val the day has finally arrived. One year today you were given news that has tested your strength to the ultimate.

Exactly one year on and you are seeing Gareth sing, which is what you have longed for over this difficult year.

Enjoy every minute :jump:

Guest NicolaJayne

Yes Michael did say he had had lots of sleepless nights and the rest of the cast had taken the pressure off him.

I looked Gareths horse up and it was down to run in the 6 20pm at Kempton, but for some reason it was a non runner, it was 7/1

Hope everything went well for Val and she saw Gareth after the show, and then a safe journey home.