Mad About The Musicals Spring 2016 Tour

Yorksheather

Had an amazing time last night. Felt just like old times again after such a long time. Gareth definitely isn't singing as many songs and by the end of the evening you could sense he was having a few problems, Can't really add anything more than has already been said about the show, just that it was amazing. I actually thought the new girl Kate was better than the one she replaced, but apparently she was in the show when it was first produced and then went off to do other things

My Sister really enjoyed the show and even agreed to wait with me to see Gareth after. She even had her pic taken with him. That made a perfect end to the evening.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NicolaJayne

Thank for your report Val. So pleased you had a good time seeing Gareth last night, and also saw him after the show. Was it the first time your sister has seen Gareth? if it was she must have been impressed.

It is such a shame though that he is still struggling with his voice, must be so frustrating for him.

Yes, it was the first time she'd seen him apart from on PI. She thought he was very good, but obviously not as obsessive as I am, :lol: I think she'd come with me again if I needed her to though.

Thought you all might like to see this pic from Wednesday, which Gareth actually took for me

post-132-0-94976300-1464375489_thumb.jpg

Guest NicolaJayne

It is a lovely pic Val and taken by Gareth too. It's always good to have someone close by to go see Gareth with, then you don't have to travel alone.

• 3 weeks later...

Not news as such but wonders if Gareth will be on this tour again if it happens, this was posted on FB by Micheal Courtney Productions https://www.facebook.com/michaelcourtneyproductions/?fref=nf

So ....the tour might have finished ...but there's lots to come on the horizon .... with pantos and more shows next year (Mad About the Musicals 2017) ...... so keep watching ....keep liking ...back very soon!

Yes was such a shame and ~I wonder why this was the case really as it was more of a sell out last year, well don't know if any were sold out but I mean nearly full and apparently was a huge success previous years which is why they have been able to do several tours of it.

Edits to say that may very well be why it wasn't advertised more because it was assumed to sell more by previous success.

Guest NicolaJayne

It was sold out at at least one venue Maria as I remember Gareth saying on Twitter that he would say to go but it was sold out,

Shame that some of the venues weren't as popular as others though and probably because it wasn't promoted enough.

• 1 month later...

Have just come across this rather interesting (and honest) review:

http://www.localsecrets.com/ezine.cfm?ezineid=5573~mad-about-the-musicals-show+theatre-and-shows

Cynics might say that you would have to be mad about musicals to sit through over two hours of songs from a variety of Broadway and West End shows. But 'Mad About the Musicals' the show featuring Gareth Gates, on its last night of a long national tour, was satisfyingly entertaining and the performers deserved their standing ovation. Though 'Mad About the Musicals' is billed as a starring vehicle for Gates, the singer star is far from being the show's main driver. In fact, of the five vocal performers on the stage of the Corn Exchange, he was probably on for the least time. This may have been due to some throat problem but whatever the reason, suffice ot say that the four others were equally up to the mark in terms of sheer vocal power and dramatic presentation.

The show, which has been on tour with more than 50 stops since mid April, is the brainchild of Michael Courtney. The entertainer has been on the road with his amalgam of popular hits from the musical stage and it is a credit to his astonishing professionalism that he seems to love every note. -

Apart from being a quite wonderful warbler, Courney is no mean comedian and audience warmer-upper. His experience in panto shone though with many a cheeky quip with delighted ticket holders. He holds the show together, joshing with the five-man band and occasionally acknowledging the projection screen announcing the show from whence a song came.

The billing is of course for the former Pop Idol star Gareth Gates. He has a lovely baritone voice, a trouper's way of selling a big ballad and an endearingly low-key persona. He never plays the big star and fits very well into what is essentially a very talented ensemble.

Apart from Courtney, who has an astonishingly big voice, the cast consisted of three famale vocalists: Rosanne Priest, Kerry O'Dowd and Kate Sniddy. Each has a commanding stage presence and like the men, can deliver a ballad with bold and brassy notes but with a soft and sweet tenderness where required. This was particularly true in the last medley of hit tunes from Les Mis and Miss Saigon. There were less well-known songs from Jekyl and Hyde contrasting with good old favourites such as 'Hey Big Spender'.

If there was a little gripe, it lay in the range of songs chosen. There were an awful lot of heartfelt torch songs and most were presented at maximum volume. It came then as a something of a relief when Courtney and O'Dowd gave a spirited and hilarious rendition of Irving Berlin's 'Anything you can do, I can do better'. That was a contrast to what were rather a lot of samey big belters such as 'Starlight Express' and Music of the Night from Phantom.

Another unexpected contrast came in a first-half finale giving a jolly good account of Queen's 'Bohemian Rhapsody'. It demanded, and got, some precise harmonies and pleasing dynamics. Though for this reviewer, the evening was about 10 minutes too long, and though a few more quieter or funnier mouthfuls from the musical stage would have been welcome. 'Mad About the Musicals' is a very sane choice for those who love Broadway. -