Mad About The Musicals - Reviews

Val4Gareth

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Today, 07:33 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing the reports Val .
Gareth has posted on his facebook , it's great to read. I hope Gareth means 'longest fans' not exactly oldest :D

I've played many of these sorts of shows in the past, but tonight was a milestone for me.

Singing musical theatre is very exposing and any problems can quite easily be heard and so I was quite anxious about tonight's performance. But thanks to a lot of hard work and preparation coupled with the support of some of my oldest fans, I got through it and actually enjoyed it!!!

There's still a long way to go but I'm getting there and I thank you all for your continued love and support.
Here's to singing!! smile emoticon

https://www.facebook.com/GarethGates

Wow! No time to write a full review at the moment - but what a fantastic show. The rapport between the cast members and especially between Gareth and Michael created a wonderful atmosphere - and they obviously have huge respect for each other. Chatted to Karen (Courtney) during the interval and she said that they both get on so well together.

Gareth's voice sounded amazing, back to his beautiful mellow tone, and his stage presence was as always brilliant. I read in a recent interview that he said he is a showman, which is so true when he gets on stage taking the audience on a real journey. Loved hearing Gareth singing songs from the musicals again - many of which I'd never heard him sing before.

Thanks also to Chris, Yvonne and Sharon for the great company - and, yes Heather, I hope Gareth didn't literally mean his 'oldest' fans!

Posted Today, 07:33 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing the reports Val .

Gareth has posted on his facebook , it's great to read. I hope Gareth means 'longest fans' not exactly oldest :D

I've played many of these sorts of shows in the past, but tonight was a milestone for me.

Singing musical theatre is very exposing and any problems can quite easily be heard and so I was quite anxious about tonight's performance. But thanks to a lot of hard work and preparation coupled with the support of some of my oldest fans, I got through it and actually enjoyed it!!!

There's still a long way to go but I'm getting there and I thank you all for your continued love and support.

Here's to singing!! smile emoticon

https://www.facebook.com/GarethGates

Heather thank you for posting up Gareth's heartfelt thanks

What a fabulous show on Thursday night.

It was full of great music and lots of laughter too.

Micheal Courtney has a way with the audience and his relaxed but informative approach leads the show through musical after musical. It is apparent he loves his musical theatre and there were unusual choices throughout the show, making it somewhat refreshing.

There were three girl singers and the choice of their songs exactly suited their voices.

Then there was Gareth!

As he walked on stage in his immaculate charcoal grey shiny suit he received a fabulous welcome.

His voice was excellent and so was his stage presence. He was at home on that stage.

It was so nice to hear Gareth sing so many different songs.

There was a classical duet between him and Micheal which was amazing.

Am sure Linda and Val will write about the content of the show but I will post over the weekend (after a very busy week) any snipetts I remember.

One thing I do remember clearly is at the end of the show, which received a full house standing ovation, Micheal thanked everyone and said something along the lines of " I have to say that we can have pre-conceptions of people but Gareth Gates is the nicest person I have ever met". Of course Gareth received it in his modest manner.

EDITS to say: I have altered the Mis-conceptions to Pre-Conceptions.

Thankyou to Yvonne, Linda, Joyce and Sharon for your company on the night.

Yvonne you should be now able to give anyone directions of Redditch Town Centre as we went round it so many times!

Thanks Chris,

So pleased you all enjoyed the show - it sounds fabulous. Doris and I are going to Stockport tonight, really looking forward to it.

I hope you both have a fantastic time tonight. The show is a real treat.

I had a fantastic time last night. Linda was so kind and drove down to pick me up, take me to the show and then drive me back again. I really can't thank her enough.

I'm going to leave her to give you the details because to be honest I can't remember half of it already, other than know that it blew me away. It was very obvious that Gareth and Michael have so much respect for each other and the rapport between them was a treat to watch. Gareth's hair has grown back quite a bit down the sides and I think it suits him so much better this way.

He had Missy with him last night and she was out in the foyer with Karen Courtney helping her with the CD's and programs. She looked so intense and was really enjoying herself. She made me laugh when I asked her who won when she played bowling with her Daddy and she said she did. She then went on to say she beats him at everything, so I said `yes but you can't beat him at singing can you'. `Oh yes I can she said' with a huge beam on her face. She is such a gorgeous little girl and such a credit to her parents.

I've been to this wonderful show twice - the first night at Redditch and then Yeovil. I've tried very hard to remember which songs Gareth sang or was involved with. Please add any that I've forgotten.

Now that I've been to Crewe as well, I'm editing the song list. (As you may realise, changes are in blue.)

• One Night Only (Dreamgirls) - first song of show, started by Gareth then joined by Michael and the girls
  • You're Nothing Without Me (City Of Angels) - Gareth and Michael
  • Why, God, Why? (Miss Saigon) (as full of emotion as ever)
  • Half A Sixpence - Gareth and Nichola (showed his personality and cheekiness, great facial expressions)
  • Granada - Gareth and Michael (hilarious)
  • We Will Rock You - Michael with Gareth, Nichola and Kerry (and Rosanne at Crewe - Michael did more banter to give her time to change her dress)
  • Hammer To Fall (We Will Rock You) - Gareth with Michael, Kerry, Nichola and Rosanne
  • Only The Good Die Young (We Will Rock You) - Rosanne and Nichola with Gareth, Michael and Kerry
  • Bohemian Rhapsody (We Will Rock You) - Kerry with Gareth, Michael, Rosanne and Nichola
  • We Are The Champions (We Will Rock You) - Gareth with Michael and girls

Interval

• Think Of Me (Phantom Of The Opera) - Gareth and Nichola
  • All I Ask Of You (Phantom Of The Opera) - Gareth and Rosanne
  • Starlight Sequence (Starlight Express) - Gareth and Michael
  • Heaven On Their Minds (Jesus Christ Superstar) (introduced by Michael as one of the best versions he'd heard - no pressure then)
  • At The End Of The Day (Les Mis) - full cast led by Michael
  • A Heart Full Of Love (Les Mis) - Gareth and Nichola (not performed at Crewe)
  • Empty Chairs At Empty Tables (Les Mis)
  • Finale (Les Mis) - full cast (starts with Valjean's death scene then reprise of Do You Hear The People Sing?, Gareth only in second part)
  • One Day More (Les Mis) - full cast (the encore)

I thought there was another song from We Will rock You that Gareth took the lead on but for the life of me I can't remember what it was - so if anyone can help ................ I've now added this and the one he was involved in.

As you can see, Gareth does a lot of singing in this show, so it's not surprising that after four shows he has commented that his voice is tired and needs a rest. At least he has a couple of days off, but then there are many more to come. I'll try to write a review soon but thought you might like a song list. (This is not the complete list, just the songs Gareth was involved in.)

I hope so too Heather. I'm hoping Gareth is just being his modest self rather than that his voice actually was `awful' as he put it.

You did well remembering all those songs Linda. Seeing them written down makes you realize just how much singing Gareth does in this show. And I still wanted it to go on at the end.

Thank you for your lovely reports, Linda, Chris and Val :) I'm glad you could make it Val thanks to Linda bless her :) I agree you done so well Linda listing all those songs.

I think his voice is bound to be a bit sore after all this singing he's been doing in this show,some very powerful one's and he's only recently got back to singing again but at the same time it's still easy to worry that what if he gets another injury but if it's fully healed now i'm sure he will be fine and I agree he was being modest saying his voice was awful, by people who have been last night, it certainly wasn't, it makes me feel a bit sad that he thought that in his reply to Emma last night.

ValR and I went to Stockport on Saturday night,it was a brilliant show,loved every minute of it.Gareth's voice was fantastic,we said during the show that he certainly wasn't holding back with it.I have never sat on the front row before,it was comical seeing some of his facial expressions,he really acts out every song he sings, Michael and Gareth were so funny together you can tell they are great friends and have a lot of respect for each other.

It was'nt a full house and the audience were a bit slow on the uptake of Michael's jokes etc,he kept saying to the band "am I facing the right way".However in the 2nd half the audience came to life,they did cheer after each song and at the end gave a standing ovation.At the end when Michael acknowledged Gareth saying what a lovely talented man he was they clapped,cheered and shouted loudly.

There are 2 more venues near Manchester,would love to have gone to another where the audience are more vocal,unfortunately I will be on holiday.

The Stockport theatre is absolutely beautiful,it was closed down,eventually they managed to find funding for the restoration,it is run by volunteers,Michael asked the audience at the end to give generously on the way out to help with the upkeep.

Had a great time at mad about the musicals opening night in Redditch was lucky to go with my best friend maria and we met Hayley there. we got there about 4 as wanted to go for something to eat before show which there was a wetherspoons next door rather handy. had a nice meal there me kiddies menu lol im the awkward one lol. the show was great and unlike a lot of the ones I have seen of mad about musicals it had a lot of gareth in it which was good ofcourse. the show consisted of gareth and Michael signing and 3 ladies along with a band. gareth sang with Michael a few humorous songs like granaldi also one song where gareth called Michael a ignoramous that cracked me up.the song gareth sang with one of the ladies half a sixth pence gareth really showed off his cheeky side. why god why pierced my heart I was like that voice is back for sure was amazing. some of the musicals songs was from id never heard of like chorus line.i thought them all doing bohemian rhapsody was good as was gareth singing we are the champions I thought yes you are gareth lol.I loved the les mis section of songs probs cause I loved les mis and so familiar with the songs to it always makes me think of gareth as marius on the floor then john owen jones carrying him.i must say Michael had a great voice and it was so sweet that after he said gareth was one of the nicest people he ever worked with. was a great show great arrangement of songs and plenty of gareth. loved the suit he was wearing not sure what material it was leather I think had a kinda imprinted pattern on too not that I was looking that closely lol. was lucky to meet him afterwards he was his usual beaming smile and hugs to fans and signings.i know he said his voice was still iffy but to me its back for sure.love my photo with gareth maria always takes them so well for me still look pale even though I put on foundation lol look worse next to gareth lol like a ghostly white lol compared to his gorgeous tan lol. id deffo recommend seeing the show very different to all the other mad about musicals where gareths only sang 3 or so songs gareth was on lots more the better I say lol but course gotta watch those precious chords.love sarahjane xxx

Thank you for your report Doris. Glad you enjoyed the show, but what a shame the audience weren't too receptive.

Thank you also SarahJane. Your reports do make me chuckle. :jump: Lucky you having front row seats and able to see the pattern on Gareth's suit. It looked like leather to me too, but we were quite a way back so could be wrong.

I went to Stockport on Saturday night too, I thought Gareth was amazing and glad his voice is back, last time I saw him in Skipton he was definitely struggling to hit the note. His treatment has worked a treat and he had no problems this time. I just hope he hasn't taken on too much and gets up going again. I thought everyone was really good in the show but I did get a little bored when Gareth wasn't on I think this was due to the song choices. I think they are possibly must suited to the older generation or if you have seen all of the shows and can relate to the songs. I also think the majority of the audience was the older generation making it a little flat was such a shame it wasn't full too! However I wouldn't think twice about going to see Gareth in it again I'm not fussed what he sings as long as I get to see him. He was also looking extremely good looking in his suit and I think his hair was slightly longer at the sides.

kirsty