Mad About The Musicals - Reviews

Val4Gareth

Glad you enjoyed listening to Gareth Kirsty. To be fair, he wasn't not on stage for very long in this show. Like SarahJane said in her report normally we only get him singing a few songs in this kind of show, so we were spoilt in this one. I really, really want to see it again.

Thank you for posting up your report.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NicolaJayne

Thank you all for your fabulous reports and to Lindajan for the details of all the songs Gareth was involved with, amazing to remember all of them. Gareth certainly does a lot of singing. I just worry and hope that he has Not taken on too much too soon.

Thank you also to Khelda for putting Sharon's lovely Tweet pic on here.And

Thank you to Sarahjane for her report that always makes me laugh.would be good to have your pic and Maria's pic with Gareth on here too.

Hayley put some lovely pics on Facebook, would be Nice to see them all on here, but not sure if she is a member on here or not.

I really can't wait to see this fabulous show.

Thanks Doris for reporting about the show that we saw at Stockport. I loved it and when they played the beginning of the music for Les Mis I felt the same excitement I got seeing it on tour. I never thought I'd hear Gareth sing the songs live again so was so pleased they sang so many of them. :thumbsup:

PS - Loved all the dresses the girls wore - certainly no expenses spared putting on a very slick show.

Seeing this tour on Thursday was truly outstanding and an evening i'll never forget, it was definitely my fave of this kind of show and for me while I didn't think it was possible, Gareth's voice was more than just back, it was better than ever, I don't think it's possible for anyone to sing Why God why better than that, that song always gets me, not only does he sound so amazing, he puts so much into the performances to, I don't think there is an emotion he can't express. It was lovely to hear him sing some that he's never sang before. I hope by the end of the tour each and every one of us will of been able to see it, i'd recommend it to anyone, although of course Gareth was by far my fave, the others were all extremely talented to, it's lovely to see they all get on so well and I bet Gareth has them as friends for life, loved the banter between Gareth and Micheal and it was so lovely to hear him say at the end that Gareth is the loveliest person he has ever met, hearing people praise Gareth like that never gets boring.

My pic with Gareth after the show and one of him signing for people which is Hayley's mum.

post-156-0-23806300-1444074482_thumb.jpg

post-156-0-22330000-1444074497_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your report Maria and thanks for putting up your lovely pictures for us to see. I agree it was lovely to hear him sing some songs we've not heard before. And it was also lovely to be able to buy the CD so we can listen any time we want.

I've been to this wonderful show twice - the first night at Redditch and then Yeovil. I've tried very hard to remember which songs Gareth sang or was involved with. Please add any that I've forgotten.

• One Night Only (Dreamgirls) - first song of show, started by Gareth then joined by Michael and the girls
  • You're Nothing Without Me (City Of Angels) - Gareth and Michael
  • Why, God, Why? (Miss Saigon) (as full of emotion as ever)
  • Half A Sixpence - Gareth and Nichola (showed his personality and cheekiness, great facial expressions)
  • Grenada - Gareth and Michael (hilarious)
  • We Will Rock You - Michael with Gareth, Nichola and Kerry
  • Bohemian Rhapsody (We Will Rock You) - Kerry with Gareth, Michael, Rosanne and Nichola
  • We Are The Champions (We Will Rock You) - Gareth with Michael and girls

Interval

• Think Of Me (Phantom Of The Opera) - Gareth and Nichola
  • All I Ask Of You (Phantom Of The Opera) - Gareth and Rosanne
  • Starlight Sequence (Starlight Express) - Gareth and Michael
  • Heaven On Their Minds (Jesus Christ Superstar) (introduced by Michael as one of the best versions he'd heard - no pressure then)
  • At The End Of The Day (Les Mis) - full cast
  • A Heart Full Of Love (Les Mis) - Gareth and Nichola
  • Empty Chairs At Empty Tables (Les Mis)
  • Do You Hear The People Sing? (Les Mis) - full cast
  • One Day More (Les Mis) - full cast (the encore)

I thought there was another song from We Will rock You that Gareth took the lead on but for the life of me I can't remember what it was - so if anyone can help ................

As you can see, Gareth does a lot of singing in this show, so it's not surprising that after four shows he has commented that his voice is tired and needs a rest. At least he has a couple of days off, but then there are many more to come. I'll try to write a review soon but thought you might like a song list. (This is not the complete list, just the songs Gareth was involved in.)

Wow thanks for all the reviews. :jump:

Welcome Kirsty. Nice to have your input too.

I think Musical Theatre attracts a more mature audience hence any producers working hard to entice a younger audience, through the doors.

It's good to read Gareth's voice was still good in Stockport.

I would think there has been lots of rehearsing so good to know all was still well.

On seeing the list of songs it makes one realise how many songs Gareth actually sang. With times when I thought I wish Gareth was on stage now, it makes me realise how many songs were actually in the show. :thumbsup:

The one I remember most of the whole show is Half a Sixpence. Just loved Gareth's facial expressions.

Would just love it, if anyone going got a sneaky recording :shiftyninja:

Nice review here from last night at Baths Halls in the Scunthorpe Telegraph

http://www.scunthorpetelegraph.co.uk/REVIEW-Mad-Musicals-Scunthorpe-s-Baths-Hall/story-27952319-detail/story.html

REVIEW: Mad About The Musicals at Scunthorpe's Baths Hall

By simon_scun | Posted: October 09, 2015

11119077-large.jpg

Gareth Gates who performed in Mad About The Musicals in Scunthorpe.

Comments (0)

FANS of the West End were treated to a dazzling display of musical numbers in Scunthorpe last night (Thursday, October 8).

Mad About The Musicals celebrated its 10th anniversary tour in style when it visited the town's Baths Hall armed with a score of songs and a certain pop star by the name of Gareth Gates.

Sharing the stage with show director and singer Michael Courtney, along with three female vocalists, the stage was lit up with the sounds of the musicals.

Gareth is no stranger to the West End having taken centre-stage in a number of musicals, but here his fellow cast members shone every bit as bright as the pop star.

The chemistry between Gareth and Michael was electric and the audience were even treated to some light-hearted dialogue between songs.

Mad About The Musicals kicked off the first-half with songs from Miss Saigon, Copacabana, Doctor Zhivago and more.

It was clear the show was holding back the big numbers for the second half but it was good to hear a variety of tunes.

And we were treated to a medley of songs from We Will Rock You just before the interval, including Gareth belting out Queen's We Are The Champions.

After the break, the show continued to pick up the tempo with tracks from Funny Girl, Starlight Express, A Chorus Line and Annie Get Your Gun.

I was very impressed with the female vocalists and the chemistry between the singers.

Gareth looked like he enjoyed every minute of it and his voice matched the talent on the stage.

The show ended with songs from Jesus Christ Superstar and possibly the most popular musical of all time, Les Misérables.

Although I didn't know all the songs during the evening, I enjoyed taking a trip through musical history with this talented cast

On Gareth's Facebook

Hi Guys

This is a post we want to share.

Gareth HQ x

From TV and Radio presenter Russell Kane tonight at the Beck Theatre Hayes

Russ Kane

21 October at 00:17

I often find in life that the things you think are going to be 'great' turn out to be 'meh' while others you expect little from turn out to be brilliant. Take tonight for instance. This morning I received a FB message from a lady called Karen Courtney - I don't know her personally, we've never even spoken, but she asked if I would like to attend a show called 'Mad About The Musicals' & if so, she would have tickets left at the box office. Now, at the risk of Hilary O'Neil, Helen McNee,Natalie Cleverley, Penny Horner & all my other West End Wendy chums excommunicating me, I don't really like musicals - just as the plot gets going some twerp breaks into a predictable show tune. And it starred Michael Courtney (whom I'd never heard of ) and.. wait for it.. Gareth (Pop Idol) Gates. Now, call me crazy but Gareth (The Creature That Cowell Forgot) Gates in a tribute to musicals felt like Katie Price cast in a tribute to Cistercian Nuns. But this show was being held at The Beck Theatre, Hayes - a place of very fond memory where I first met & worked with the brilliant comedian Jeff Stevenson in 'Peter Pan' & we laughed for two solid months with John Altman (no, not THAT one) the Eastenders one. So i thought, 'why not' and set off for darkest Hayes with my expectation dial set to maximum low. Oh how wrong one can be. It was, quite simply, terrific! Michael Courtney has a truly outstanding voice, easy patter & great audience rapport. His renditions from JC Superstar & Les Mis were phenomenal. The revelation however was Gareth Gates - to my utter astonishment he could really sing - I mean REALLY - was totally charming on stage & had great stage presence. The five -piece band were all superb musicians & the cast had three ladies I'd again never heard of - Rosanne Priest (who gave Liza with A Habit a run for her money) Nicola Lagan who went from a Tommy Steel tune (I loathe him) to hitting a top C that took the roof off and Kerry ODowd who apart from a voice to die-for, corpsed so badly on stage during 'I Can Do Anything Better Than You' that Michael Courtney had to fill with Tommy Cooper gags for minutes. It was surreal & we all cracked up. Anyway, the show rolls into The Brasilia of the South (or Croydon as locals call it) this Saturday, so if you can tear yourself away from scripted, phoney, autotuned TV talent shows & want to see real, proper 100% live talent go and enjoy two hours of great music. You won't regret it.