Footloose the Musical Tour Reviews.

eternal

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NicolaJayne

Thank you Val for telling us your experience of the 2 shows. I think if there is a different person playing the main part it must affect the rest of the cast, very good to hear that it didn't affect Gareths performance .

I saw this on Tuesday with Doris and last night with my hubby - on Tuesday there was an understudy on for Ren and I thought the show came across as quite disjointed, the first half especially, and apart from Gareth I wasn't particulary impressed with the performances. A good reception from the audience at the end but only a few people gave a standing ovation.

Last night Luke Baker was back as Ren and this made a huge difference to the show. It was much tighter, everyones performances seemed to be much better to me, it also meant there was an extra person playing and singing and I really enjoyed the whole show. Gareth got a fantastic reaction, lots of laughter and the audience loved him. At the end literally everyone was on their feet including my hubby - glad to say he loved it as well and said that Gareth was a great comedy actor - this was such a relief as after Tuesday night I was really worried about him seeing it.

Can't wait to see it again in Bradford.

Interesting to read your report of two different nights Valr, with two different actors.

It must have been so difficult for everyone to come back after a week's holiday with the lead Luke Baker off and to press night on the Monday too.

It almost sounds like a sigh of relief occurred when Luke was back and the company was back to normal.

So glad your hubby enjoyed it too (think that's always a relief).

Thanks for posting.

This is a review for Gareth (oh and for Footloose)

http://vadamagazine.com/entertainment/arts/theatre/footloose-uk-tour-review

Gareth Gates having his dungarees ripped off and getting grinded on by four girls on a car whilst singing Bonnie Tyler is everything in my life that I never knew I needed. I needed it so hard though.

We’re currently in the middle of the Manchester leg of Footloose’s UK tour and I had the absolute pleasure of seeing it at the Palace Theatre – and lemme tell you, it was absolutely great! I want to go again just because of how triumphant and liberating it made me feel. Seriously, you need to go book tickets right now – right this very second.

It started and at first it was giving me serious high school production vibes. A bit like, ‘Awh, this is amateur and cute but kinda shit.’ But after about 20 minutes I was all, ‘Yaaaaaaaas! Slay me, Ren! This is the best thing ever!’

In particular the diner scene, in which the leading lady sings a beautifully fierce rendition of Bonnie Tyler’s iconic ‘Holding out for a Hero’, I swear the crowd was going absolutely wild in their seats and flooding their basements. This was due to Gareth Gates flexing on top of a car and shaking his tush in a little pair of booty shorts. I think I saw Jesus during that scene. It was all I ever wanted and more. Out of nowhere, a dramatic Bucks Fizz costume change skirt-rip.

The second best scene was in a bar when Rusty was singing ‘Let’s Hear It for the Boy’ about Willard to a gaggle of judgey girls saying she shouldn’t be with a man who can’t dance. Well, he sure showed them!

The scene consisted of the main guy teaching the ever-so-simple Willard how to dance. It went from him being terrible (but absolutely hilarious) at first to him absolutely blowing my mind with his dance moves! The crowd was going wild.

I’ve never felt so triumphant watching anything in my entire life! His transformation throughout the show was incredible. I’m so excited about him. I have a bubble of overwhelming joy in my stomach when I think about it and how brilliant it was. I want to see it again so bad!

This might as well just be a review of Gareth Gates’ performance because he was DELIGHTFUL! I’m so happy about it! Just everything, flawless! Comedic timing, his interactions, his dancing, his singing – who’s Will Young?

Gareth Gates, MVP, he was everything! I want him in my life. Booty shorts optional.

For reals though, the entire show was brilliant! I was majorly impressed. It was so good. Just, Gareth Gates… He was everything. The main guy was played by the understudy and he was really cute too, I was feeling Michael Angarano from Sky High vibes. Ugh, what a peach!

This is another review (from Cardiff students) that we must keep on here;

http://cardiffstudentmedia.co.uk/quench/culture/review-footloose-new-theatre/

Review by Amy Butler

Footloose is an undeniably classic musical; defined appropriately by its creator Dean Pitchford as a ‘cultural touchstone’, even those who haven’t seen the adaptations will know the story of the small town in which dancing was made illegal. Based on a bizarre true story, Footloose was first introduced to us through the 1983 film, starring Kevin Bacon as the original Ren McCormack, and since then it has been re-worked for stage numerous times. The 1998 Broadway version picked up several Tony Award nominations, and the original film was even re-made recently in 2011.

It seems therefore that the current UK tour had a large legacy to live up to, yet with Dean Pitchford assisting Walter Bobbie in its production, the cast were certainly in good hands. Rather than simply creating another version of the musical, ‘Sell a Door’ theatre company truly made it their own with an impressive and diverse set, authentic costumes that embraced the 50s theme and an unique use of music onstage. Ensemble was given a new meaning with director Racky Plews’ innovative idea of the cast also doubling up as the band, with each performer showcasing their musical talents and dividing time between acting, singing, dancing and playing up to four instruments each.

Plews’ vision of the addition of music physically live on stage was in order to compliment the storyline itself, demonstrating the necessity and presence of music in every day life and the oppression created by a law against dancing. This vision certainly came to life as musical talent took the forefront, yet this unfortunately slightly inhibited the acting. Nevertheless, the musical’s classics such as ‘Let’s Hear It For The Boy’, ‘Holding Out For A Hero’ and of course ‘Footloose’ were sung impeccably and highlighted impressive choreography clearly inspired by the original 1983 film. Leading lady, Hannah Price, who played Ariel Moore, sung incredibly in the stand-out number ‘Holding Out For A Hero’ and was supported with immaculate harmonies from Natasha Brown, Miracle Chance and Joanna Sawyer.

Yet this number not only demonstrated Price’s vocal abilities, but gave the majority of the audience what they had come to see; Gareth Gates. In ‘Holding Out For A Hero’ the production truly embraced the presence of their star cast member, stripping him down to a pair of small denim shorts, to pose seductively in front of a smoke machine. The theatre was filled with wolf whistles and excited screams at this humorous sequence, but it was not just Gates’ good looks that got him the largest cheer in the finale. The 2001 Pop Idol contestant threw himself completely into his comedic role of Willard, not wavering from it once, even in his solo number ‘Mama Says’. Although at times he seemed to be over-acting slightly, Gates had the most enthusiasm out of all the cast and played such a loveable role it is hard to criticize.

Maureen Nolan was the other big name in the production and she too played a role impossible not to love, however it was Joanna Sawyer who stole the show as Willard’s love interest, Rusty. Sawyer showcased arguably the best vocals in the cast, while providing just as many comedic moments as Gates and the dynamic between the two of them was certainly entertaining to watch. In fact, Sawyer and Gates provided a much more authentic relationship dynamic than the two leads, Luke Baker as Ren McCormack and Hannah Price as Ariel Moore, although Baker’s vocals and moments of real character believability made sure he did the classic role justice.

Finally, special mention should be given to Nicky Swift whose comedy was impeccably timed, and also Scott Haining who although seemed to merge into the background in the first half, made the second his own by demonstrating multiple instrumental talents as well as great vocals, dancing and acting. The entire ensemble cast had exceptional amounts of energy and enthusiasm, especially in the closing number, and most importantly seemed to be enjoying performing as much as the audience enjoyed watching. Although the production provided enough ‘cheese’ to last a lifetime, the many audience members on their feet dancing by the end demonstrates the continuing popularity of the light-hearted Footloose story and its impressive, innovative new adaptation.

:thumbsup:

First review in from Portsmouth AND it's brilliant :thumbsup:

http://www.aboutmyarea.co.uk/Hampshire/Portsmouth/PO6/News/Reviews-and-Features/298012-Footloose-At-The-Kings

Last night saw the highly-anticipated touring production of Footloose land at the Kings Theatre, Southsea, in spectacular style!

Whether you are a fan of the 80's film of this tale of a city boy trying to reintroduce rock music and dancing to a small Southern town which has been banned from having fun by a controlling pastor, or simply just love the massively popular songs that spun from it, this musical is a must see for you this Easter period.

Of course, a show like Footloose carries with it a lot of expectation, and adapting such a classic movie to the stage could threaten to compromise its reputation, but this is certainly not the case, with each and every actor on the stage last night not just nailing the story, and their own individual parts in it, but actually enhancing it in my opinion.

With any show of such grandeur, you would expect a few big names taking part, and Footloose is no exception with the legendary Maureen Nolan and British pop sensation Gareth Gates headlining this show.

But don't for one minute think that these two big names take anything away from the rest of the cast - this musical is one of the greatest examples of an ensemble with just about every single actor on stage (including Mr Gates himself) contributing to the music by playing an instrument which, considering that they had to sing and dance whilst doing so, was incredible to watch.

In fact the leading lady of this show, Hannah Price, literally jumped from trumpet to clarinet and even the piano, whilst delivering a mesmerising performance as Ariel Moore, so seamlessly you would be forgiven for thinking the part was being played by twins.

As for Gareth Gates, who also switched between guitar and keys, he carried off what can only be described as an adorable performance as Willard, boasting some pretty impressive dance moves and a very toned and oiled naked torso towards the end of the first half, leaving all the female audience members a little hot under the collar.

Acting aside, one of the most impressive parts of this show for me was the company's use of the stage which, considering had at times most of the cast on it dancing and moving round, worked impeccably.

With one large, rotating set in the middle, each scene looked brand new, with not a hint of how frantically the stage crew must have been working just behind it to create another new chapter throughout the entire show.

Basically, as a show, as a musical, as an acting showcase, Footloose more than delivered the audience one of the most energetic, charismatic and breath-taking shows of recent times, taking careful measures to ensure that the story was delivered clearly making it very easy to follow, and a show that someone who has not seen the film can easily enjoy as much as the die-hard fans.

Another review in from Southsea (short but sweet) :thumbsup:

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/what-s-on/theatre/review-footloose-at-the-kings-theatre-southsea-1-7308408

Dancing may be banned from Bomont, West Virginia but thankfully it isn’t from the Kings.

Footloose tells the story of rebellious teen Ren McCormack who moves from Chicago to the small town in West Virginia where dancing has been made illegal.

The stage show is based on the 1984 film of the same name, starring Kevin Bacon.

Luke Baker is energetic as lead Ren, with a fantastic vocal range from his gorgeous gravel tones to flawless falsetto. Whilst he was a talented dancer, the choreography didn’t really show off his dancing talents quite enough.

Pop Idol sensation Gareth Gates, however, really had the audience swooning. His portrayal of slow-witted Willard Hewitt was endearing from start to finish, displaying his vocals in Mama Says and dancing in Let’s Hear It For The Boy.

Hannah Price was sensational as Ren’s love interest Ariel Moore, with her rendition of Holding Out for a Hero a clear crowd favourite. Her duet with Ren, Almost Paradise, was also a vocal highlight of the second act. Like many cast members, she played multiple musical instruments throughout the show.

Ariel’s trio of friends were vocally brilliant with tight harmonies, however, their dialogue occasionally rushed making them hard to understand.

Maureen Nolan pulled off the emotional numbers, but her American accent faltered in places.

You’ve got one more night to cut Footloose and I suggest you do!

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely review in Bournemouth Daiy Echo.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/leisure/reviews/14423199.REVIEW__Footloose_the_Musical_at_the_Bournemouth_Pavilion_Theatre/

DANCING may be banned from Bomont, West Virginia but thankfully it isn’t here in Bournemouth.

Because everyone who attended the opening night of Footloose the Musical at the Pavilion last night were on their feet enjoying every jive-filled moment of the show.

Footloose is sure to bring a smile to your face whether you watched the 1984 Kevin Bacon film or not.

The four-time Tony award-winning production, first performed on Broadway in 1998 and in London in 2006, tells the story of city boy Ren who moves to a rural backwater in America where dancing is banned. But he can't resist it and all hell breaks loose.

It is an all-singing all-dancing rollercoaster of teenage angst which reminds you of what it was like to be a teenager struggling to forge your own path in the world while also remaining true to yourself and your family.

Every moment has its own superbly infectious song – including Bonnie Tyler's Holding Out For a Hero, Deniece Williams' Let's Hear It For The Boy and of course Kenny Loggins' unforgettable title track Footloose.

The entire cast impress especially as every single one of them plays an instrument on stage while singing, acting, dancing and roller skating all over the simple but fitting set.

Special mention must go to Luke Baker, who plays Ren, who delivers a performance full of charisma, energy and boyish charm certain to melt the heart of even the most stringent Kevin Bacon fan.

But if you were holding out for a hero in this production then it was Gareth Gates’ performance as Ren's hilarious and slow-witted best friend Willard.

The former Pop Idol star gave a scene-stealing performance which not only showcased his well-known vocal talents – but also showed off his less-known but equally impressive talents as a comedic performer as well as someone who can rock a pair of hotpants and cowboy boots while shirtless.

A moment which gained him one of the biggest cheers of the night.

Maureen Nolan as Vi Moore and Hanna Price, who plays Ren’s love interest and wild child Ariel, provide the soundtrack to some of the more sombre numbers which they both pull off impeccably.

Overall it's a feel-good show which had the audience clapping, singing and tapping their feet throughout.

And as the cast finished off with a melody of the show’s most famous numbers, including one final rendition of Footloose, the audience were on their feet giving them a much deserved standing ovation.

Footloose the Musical is at the Pavilion until Saturday, April 16.

• 2 months later...

Gareth returns to the role of Willard (after his Mad About the Musicals break) to a great first review:

http://andygibson.weebly.com/theatre-shows/mama-says-cut-footloose

Footloose
Saturday 25 June 2016
14:30
His Majesty's Theatre
Aberdeen
Yesterday, I went along to the final matinee and penultimate performance of Footloose at His Majesty's Theatre in Aberdeen.
​Overall, I enjoyed the production, the well known 80's classics from the Kevin Bacon movie were belted out infectiously causing the capacity crowd in attendance to sing-a-long too, including me... but, I don't count as I've seen the movie a million times and Footloose is my favourite stage show ever, but, don't be discouraged, I will be objective.
Hannah Price making her professional début as Ariel Moore was a fantastic decision by her, her agency, and the Casting Director of Footloose, Debbie O'Brien. Hannah was phenomenal as Ariel. She took the reigns of the show's lead characters like a duck to water. Wonderful singing voice, wonderful actor, and an even nicer person in real life. She should be credited more pointedly, she should have been credited alongside Gareth Gates & Maureen Nolan in an "and introducing Hannah Price" capacity.
Gareth Gates as Willard Hewitt was genius. I was in stitches with his comedy timing and Willardisms. The crowd roared with approval when he initially came on stage. Willard's antics are very rude, comedically rude. If you like adult humour then pay attention to Willard. His girlfriend, Faye Brookes (who plays Kate Connor in ITV/STV/UTV's Coronation Street), is a very lucky lady.
It was lovely to see Maureen Nolan on Aberdeen's premier stage once again. This time as Vi Moore. She's a beautiful performer.
Props to Scott Haining, I'm a big man myself and he was so light on his feet as the rugged cowboy band leader.
Only a few snags for me.

Ariel & Rusty Rodriguez (Joanna Sawyer), both have similar hairstyles and hair colour, they also wore almost identical clothing. I found it a bit confusing as to who was who between Rusy & Ariel, especially when the characters were further away from front of stage.
The scriptwriters missed out the pivital initial dialogue when Ren & Ariel met at school for the first time. The "Ah-ree-ell/Ariel" line. It's an iconic piece of the whole movie which kicks off their relationship.
Overall, the show was brilliant, leaving the audience wanting more after the standing ovation. The crowd was heard singing Footloose tunes as they left so the performance itself gave a lasting impression as a great show produced by Sell A Door Theatre Company.
I wish the production crew and cast all the best with the remainder of their tour.
To find out if Footloose is coming to cut loose in your neck of the woods, please visit: Footloose-Musical.com or follow their official twitter account:@FootlooseTour.

Guest NicolaJayne

Thank you Val and Chris for both brilliant reviews from Bournemouth and Aberdeen, love the comments about Gareth in both of them. He has certainly made a lasting impression on the critics.

They are brilliant reviews Heather.

I particularly like the Yorkshire Times review.

Here is another one:

http://whatsgoodtodo.co.uk/footloose-the-musical-at-the-alhambra-theatre-bradford-review/

Footloose the Musical
Alhambra Theatre, Bradford

28 June to 2 July 2016

www.bradford-theatres.co.uk

Reviewed by Deborah Banasko

This was on my list of shows that I was desperate to see, so I was delighted to be able to review it. My only initial concern about the show was that it may be targeted for a teenage/young adult audience, but this was not the case as both myself and mother thought it was simply amazing (we are in our mid-thirties and mid-sixties).

The Alhambra Theatre in Bradford is just less than 10 minutes walk away from the train station and next to a large multi-storey car-park. It is beautifully modern inside with bars on each level and a restaurant. The staff are helpful and polite, the entire place is clean and the seating in the auditorium is perfectly comfortable. It is a beautiful theatre.

The musical is set in 1980’s West Virginia, USA. Ren McCormack (played by Luke Baker) and his mother have been forced to move away from Chicago to live in small town Bomont with his uncle. Ren is angry and troubled since his father left the family, but finds it difficult to fit into the ways of the small town, which is heavily controlled by the local preacher. Dancing is forbidden in the town, following a tragic accident several years previously. Ren and his friend Willard (played by Gareth Gates) campaign to bring dancing back to the lifeless town, with the help of the preacher’s daughter and her friends. It is a story of teenage romance, dancing and not following the rules!

The cast was relatively small, as actors often played more than one role which worked perfectly. A unique aspect to the show was that the actors played all of the musical instruments themselves. You would imagine this to distract from the story, but instead it complimented it as the instruments were introduced seamlessly and it gave the audience so much to look at, and the supporting cast became vital to the scene. The cast were incredibly talented as many played several instruments and, from what I could tell, not a note was out of place even during dance sequences.

It was simply amazing to watch.

The music suited the different themes running throughout, with a couple of 1980’s pop numbers added to the mix. My particular favourites were “Somebody’s Eyes” which was beautifully haunting, “The Girl Gets Around” which was a slightly raunchy number and “Let’s Hear if For the Boy”. In fact, I loved them all!

Gareth Gates surprisingly did not play the lead role, but instead his first comedic part as the shy and awkward Willard. As well as not being the most intelligent of boys (to put it mildly), Willard cannot dance. This leads to one of many hilarious scenes where his friends try to teach him how to move. Gareth was perfect in this role with his total embodiment of the character throughout, comic timing and perfectly timed facial expressions. We had several unexpected laugh out loud moments. Gareth did sing one number, but it was a real shock to see how amazing an actor he is. The audience adored him – if you have the opportunity to watch Gareth in anything, do!

I have to mention his love interest Rusty, played by the brilliant Joanna Sawyer, who was simply superb as part of the double act during the number “Holding Out for a Hero”… it definitely had a couple of surprises which were hysterical.

The lead actors Luke Baker and Hannah Price were perfectly cast and believable throughout, with the most amazing voices. The singing, dancing and instrument playing was superb from the entire cast.

The set had rotating scenes which had such attention to detail and complimented the story perfectly, and the costumes and 80’s hair were so nostalgic and well designed.

The finale was 1980’s fashion and decor at its best… and naturally the entire audience was on its feet dancing and cheering. A well-deserved standing ovation from a dedicated and brilliant cast.

Whether you have seen the film version or not, this musical does not disappoint. It surpassed my expectations and is an easy 5/5 stars.

These are very good reviews and very well deserved in my opinion. Gareth certainly merits a special mention in his role in Footloose. He certainly seems to be earning very good comments from the reviewers and there seems to be surprise at how good he is. I have to say I think he may have found his niche appearing in the theatre. I think he's certainly showcasing his versatility.

• 3 weeks later...

A review in from Woking: :thumbsup:

http://www.rewritethisstory.com/2016/07/footloose-on-tour-at-new-victoria.html

For a self-confessed musical theatre obsessive its slightly shocking that I'd never seen either Footloose film but it was certainly nice to see a show I had absolutely no ideas about for once. I was very excited to experience something completely new to me and I was not let down!
Based on true events, Footloose tells the story of a middle American town where dancing has been banned following a car accident which killed four teens. The protagonist Ren moves to the town with his mother and starts a youth revolution against the establishment. This is a show full of drama, dancing and teen angst.
I've only ever seen one other show where instruments are played on stage and I can't say I loved it but in this production it felt extremely natural. The instruments became part of the cast and I was super impressed at the whole casts musical talent with many of them playing 2 or 3 instruments throughout! Quadruple threats, right?!
You're sure leave this show smiling and skipping your way out because every moment is filled with infectious musical numbers. My personal favourites were Holding Out For A Hero and Let's Hear it for the Boy both of which had the audience laughing throughout. Another stand out moment was Learning To Be Silent; now I'm just a sucker for an emotional song but this one stood out because of how beautifully it was performed by Nicky Swift (Ethel McCormack) and Maureen Nolan (Vi Moore)providing a lovely still moment in such a fast paced musical.
Another special mention must go to Luke Baker who took on the leading role of Ren wonderfully and created a fantastic chemistry with Hannah Price (Ariel Moore). I loved the trio of Natasha Brown (Wendy-Jo), Miracle Chance (Urleen) and Joanna Sawyer (Rusty) who provided humour and wit in their almost Greek chorus style roles.
Undoubtedly the selling point of this show for many is Gareth Gates and he certainly doesn't let you down! He embodies Ren's country bumpkin best friend Willard wonderfully, showcasing both his vocal talents and acting skills. Gareth certainly got the biggest applause of the night when he rocked nothing but some gold hot-pants and a cowboy hat, but he isn't just a novelty cast member, he really holds his own in this professional performance.
Overall this is a brilliant feel-good show, personally I enjoyed the second half much more and I left smiling and motivated to make some sort of change! The whole cast work wonderfully as an ensemble, creating a perfect on stage family who you can't help but empathise with. If the standing ovation is anything to go by then this is definitely an audience hit!
If you want to see this show whilst its still at the New Victoria theatre, head over to their website here.