Footloose the Musical Tour Reviews.

eternal

As the show gets underway the first reviews are in:

http://www.driffieldtoday.co.uk/what-s-on/out-about/review-footloose-the-musical-at-bridlington-spa-1-7712096

(appearing in Beverley Guardian, Bridlington Free Press and Myinforms.com too)

Let’s hear it for the boys and girls in the cast of Footloose which is packing them in at the East Coast venue.

One of the most special things about this production is that it started life at the Spa – that’s a real feather in the Spa’s cap.

It now tours to such illustrious theatres as the Palace Theatre, Manchester, and the Liverpool Empire.

But we have the privilege of saying: “We saw it here first” – and it is a fantastic production.

It rocks, rolls, spins and breakdances, sings, sinks to the depths of despair and soars to the heights of pure joy – there’s tears and laughter.

All the cast sing, dance and play a range of instruments from keyboards to clarinet while telling the story of city boy Ren who moves to the small town of Bomont where dancing is banned.

Frustrated and angry, Ren challenges the town’s authority – led by the Rev Shaw – and galvanises its youth into mild rebellion.

Luke Baker is perfect as Ren – great voice and equally good moves – and finds an equally talented leading lady in Hannah Price as the Rev’s headstrong daughter Ariel.

Experienced stagers Nigel Lister as the Rev and Maureen Nolan as his wife VI keep the show grounded.

But what about Gareth Gates as simple soul Willard, Ren’s best friend? If you were holding out for a hero you’ve found him.

The singer is a revelation (in more ways than one – won’t spoil it for you by saying what happens). He can act, dance – and we all know the boy can sing.

He shows he has a self-deprecating sense of humour and his solo number Mama Says is a real showstopper – the cries for more went on well after the second encore.

His love interest Rusty is played by Joanna Sawyer and she matches Gates’ quirkiness exactly – they offer perfect support for the main attraction Ariel and Ren. Matthew Tomlinson is broody and dark as the jealous Chuck. In fact the whole ensemble cast are full of talent and an energy that lights up the place.

The set – complete with cars, diner, church, bridge and dance halls – is genius.

This production is quality and would grace any stage. It’s packed full of tunes – including the belter Holding Out For a Hero, girls’ anthem Let’s Hear It For The Boy and, of course, the rip-it-up title tune Footloose.

Deservedly, the performance earned roars of approval and a standing ovation – Footloose is faultless.

It is a great night out – fun, full of rocking music and beautiful ballads. So cut loose and see Footloose before it moves on.

Thanks to Heather and Val for this info. I am just starting the thread!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today's review from Hull Daily Mail: http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Review-Footloose-cast-working-hard/story-28671050-detail/story.html

He was my be-all and end-all in 2001 - the only person who mattered in my eight-year-old world. Then, suddenly, he appeared, posing on a car bonnet in denim hotpants with wind machine in tow. Gareth Gates. Be still my beating heart.

The Spa Bridlington is playing host to Footloose The Musical until Saturday, where it will then venture out into the rest of the UK's venues.

Based on the 1980s film that starred a young Kevin Bacon, Footloose tells the story of city boy Ren, who has to move to a rural West Virginian town where dancing and fun-loving is banned.

The multi-talented cast, which included a Nolan sister, were sickeningly good. Hannah Price's leading role as Ariel Moore saw her sing Holding Out For A Hero and Almost Paradise to perfection, but then she topped it with her trumpet and clarinet playing. In fact, every single cast member sang and played [in most cases several] instruments – even Gareth was on the keys and guitar.

I can't do a reasonable high-kick unless it's a Friday night after a few in the pub, but to do so in heels while playing a saxophone throughout the fully choreographed opening number truly amazed. This calibre of multi-tasking did not waver throughout the production, by any of the cast.

Luke Baker's interpretation of Ren was very Kevin Bacon-esque (similar tufty hair) but his singing really proved why he was chosen as the production's protagonist - faultless. Also, his relationship with Gates's character as the hapless Willard was a real show-stealer. They were the only characters to truly achieve deserved laughs – especially during Let's Hear It For The Boy, where Gates's dance moves are ones I'll definitely be taking away with me.

The metamorphic set was as good as any I'd seen, including the West End, with only a few hiccups with regards to swivelling tables and self-moving car bonnets.

With a few slow moments in the beginning, the well-known numbers from the film's soundtrack really shone and got the crowd going. My hands still hurt from vigorous clapping.

The standing ovation at the end proved how well-produced and executed the performance was. A must-see show, even for the most cheese-fearing among you.

Bet she enjoys her job :whistle:

This is my review from Wednesday 3rd February matinee performance of Footloose at The Spa Theatre in Bridlington. I manage to persuade my husband to take me from Wakefield to Bridlington this week. We made a day of it and enjoyed a lovely pub meal before the performance. The Spa Theatre is much nicer than I remember from my youth and has a lovely café bar overlooking the sea and promenade.

We had good seats three rows from the front and quite near the middle section. There was a good crowd in although it wasn't full. I am no theatre critic so this is purely my view on what I thought of the performance. When it started it seemed a bit slow. I think this was due to having to tune into the American accents and some of the early jokes seemed a bit lost on the audience. I was starting to feel a bit twitchy too as I couldn't see Gareth anywhere on stage. I was starting to wonder if he wasn't appearing in this production, but no announcement had been made. I have not seen the film or any production of this musical before and therefore had no idea really what the story was about. I glanced across at my husband who was sat next to me with his eyes closed. I thought this didn't look like a very good sign, but it could have just been the huge lunch he had just eaten!! Anyway, I needn't have worried as the next scene Gareth wandered on wearing denim dungarees and his cap turned backwards. Perhaps I'm a bit biased but I feel this is when things picked up a pace. He played the character really well and I was very impressed with his acting skills and facial expressions which in my opinion lifted the whole scene. From that moment on Gareth seemed as though he was on stage most of the time. He sang the song Mamma says really well and with the actions to it too which were funny. Gareth had most of the funny lines and delivered them really well and it was obvious the audience were starting to warm to him. I can't believe how comfortable he looked on stage as though he had always been doing this, although I shouldn't be surprised when you think of the experience he has had in recent years.

Apart from Maureen Nolan and Nigel Lister the rest of the cast were very young with some of the members making their debut in this musical. Having said they were very good and talented. One really nice touch is that all the cast played musical instruments throughout the show with some playing up to 5 instruments. I never seen this done before and it made it more special. The lead character, Luke Baker as Ren, was very good and talented, but I have to say I think it was Gareth's character Willard who stole the show. I know some people won't agree with that, but that's what we felt. Maureen Nolan and Nigel Lister were also very good but its what you would expect with the experience they have between them.

The pace of the show is very fast and I couldn't help but think that they must all be shattered and will have to do it all again for the evening performance!

I won't describe individual things within the show as I feel Kirsty has done that really well in her review and there's no point in repeating it all.

All in all we both thoroughly enjoyed the show and I was so pleased we decided to make the journey. Having said that I had an alert yesterday advertising a new date for Bradford which would have only been up the road for us!!! We did enjoy our day in Bridlington though and I would have liked to have stayed and watched the evening performance too.

I think you all will love this show as there is loads of Gareth in it and he is really funny. He certainly won't be able to say he can't dance any more after this as he was brilliant and I just don't know how he has learned all the moves in such a short time. Even my husband has commented a couple of times since we returned that he thinks Gareth played the character really well and that's praise indeed!!

Like Kirsty mentioned, most of the audience seemed to be made up of people who make this a regular thing to visit the theatre to support it whatever is on. During the interval I could hear all people around me discussing how surprised they were with Gareth Gates! I think he might have a few more fans after this show.

I glad somebody else has now seen the show, it's great to her other people's take on it too, I watch the film a few weeks before I think that definitely helped understand what was going on... I'm wanting to book for Bradford too. As I only live in skipton xx

@FootlooseTour was bloody fab!!! The whole cast were AMAZING!! Didn't want it to end!! @Gareth_Gates @TheMaureenNolan

@Gareth_Gates absolutely stole the show omg words cannot express how brilliant he was !!! so funny and so talented, nothing has changed!

Barbirgirl

I am going to put Kirsty's review in here too as you make reference to it in your post and it may fill in bits you felt were already covered by her.

Posted 31 January 2016 by Kirsty

so I went to see footloose last night one word for you ladies AMAZING!! ohh you are in for a treat. Gareth did a amazing job as always. Everybody in the show and involved were all really good, the leading man luke-(ren) was really good and all the girls were too.they all had realy good voices. The music was great and All the instruments were played by people in the show on the stage as part of the set, I think nearly all of the cast were quite young it was nice to see so much young talent-acting, singing,dancing and playing the instruments! The set changes were quick and cleaver. On to the ONE and only MR GATES......he was amazing, started off a bit shaky and seemed to be very nervous when he came on I think this was only because it was the 2nd night. and he had to put on a American accent, as soon as gareth had finished his first appearance he seemed to loosen up settle in and really started to enjoy it. he made a really good Willard-they had made him a little more stupid then in the film but gareth played it so well and was really funny! made everybody laugh! I was a little disappointed that gareth only had one solo song but he has a lot if talking and had no problems at all-like he says he doesn't when he's in character! and wowww I think he was lying when he told us he couldn't dance! he was brilliant and fit in well with the rest who have probably been dancing for years! the part where Willard is learning to dance is sooo funny the whole place was in streams of laughter! The best part of the show is in the first half when they do 'holding out for a hero'! gareth is dancing with one of the girls in this. At the start of the song gareth has some dungarees on and is looking good...by the end of it the clothes have been wipped off and he's left with some rather small-tight fitting demine shorts with sparkly pockets on his bum and boots!! my gosh it made my night....lets just say all the gym sessions and healthy eating has definitely paid off! being sat front row and in the middle meant I had a perfect view and couldn't contain my excitement. lol.with his tanned,ripped body that had a little bit of baby oil on...... I had to pick my tongue up off the floor after that song.....and boy did he get my heart racing!!

Gareth was the talk of the show during the interval and after. A lot of the people had just gone to watch the show to support the local theatre from the conversations I had with people before the show in the bar. I don't think there were any other major gareth fans there, but people were shocked by his performance (don't think they thought he would be good)I said to my friend he is definitely going to have a bigger fan base by the time the tour has finished. There was a mixture of ages in the audience but everybody enjoyed it. The show seemed to end very quickly and they didn't hang around for long before the curtain went down! Tried to get a sneaky pic but my battery went dead and by the time I had got my friends phone the curtain had gone down. I was gutted as gareth was right in front of us! He didn't look down and us he just waved up the top guessing when missy and family was. as he looked like her was looking at someone!

After the show I spotted faye,wendy,paul and missy in the corridor. I went over for a chat/picture with faye she was lovely and very well spoken. we had a picture and I asked if gareth was coming out this way....she said she didn't know as she had never been before and that she was just going to ring him. I had a quick chat with wendy about the show and congratulated her on the new grandbaby, would have liked to have spoken to missy but she was playing happily away with somebody(who I didn't recognise)there was a door where all the rest of the cast were leaving from and gareths family/friends were stood near waiting...I was hopeful the gareth would come out that way too., then faye missy and wendy went in through the door. we waited a while longer then his dad/friends left through the front door, which made me think gareth would be leaving through the stage door outside...we rushed round to the door but nothing, I think gareth had already left by then, as there was 4 external doors at different sides of the building, and as gareth was walking couldn't wait by his car :( maybe it was because he had missy and didn't really want to hang around for pics ect, although I think there was only me and my friend hanging around for him. We walked around for a long time hoping to see him but didn't...even went to the bar down the road where some of the cast had gone in the hope he might have gone for a drink....but he probably went straight back to his hotel with having missy! and as we know he likes to spend all the time he can with her!

I think this is a great show for gareth to be involed in and also a very clever move from him with only having the one solo song and the rest he can hold back on because they are big group songs meaning his voice will get a good 9months rest (apart from the 6weeks he in MATM) a very wise choice!

Anyway you are all in for a treat cant wait until somebody else has seen it too! I'm booking again to go at least another 2times. xxx

Barbirgirl what a fantastic review of the show.

I have not seen the film or any production of this musical before and therefore had no idea really what the story was about. I glanced across at my husband who was sat next to me with his eyes closed.

Sounds like he was loving it! What our partners have to put up with!

Anyway, I needn't have worried as the next scene Gareth wandered on wearing denim dungarees and his cap turned backwards. Perhaps I'm a bit biased but I feel this is when things picked up a pace.

No bias at all :whistle:

but I have to say I think it was Gareth's character Willard who stole the show. I know some people won't agree with that, but that's what we felt

Once again no bias at all :whistle: You say we. Had husband opened his eyes at this point ??

Even my husband has commented a couple of times since we returned that he thinks Gareth played the character really well and that's praise indeed!!

Previous question answered! Sounds like an opportunity to start mentioning another visit?

During the interval I could hear all people around me discussing how surprised they were with Gareth Gates!

Doesn't that feel good?

Thanks again. It really made me smile in places.

Thanks for your review Barbiegirl, sounds like a great show. I'd recorded Footloose when it was on a couple of weeks ago and as hubby is coming with me to see it in March I suggested we watch the film before we go. We watched it Thursday evening and both enjoyed it so I'm looking forward to seeing it on stage, as you say it probably helps knowing the story in advance.

Thanks Chris for your summary of my review!!

Yes, my husband loved it, but he just can't bring himself to say so!

Yes, think I might have been biased, but I don't think so!!

My husband had opened his eyes by this point because I had given him a hefty nudge with my elbow!

Yes, another visit might just be pushing it a bit I'm afraid, but its not out of the question!

Yes, people around me discussing Gareth made me feel good. The fact that they couldn't remember whether it was X Factor or Britain's Got Talent he was in was slightly irritating and I found it difficult not to spin around and say POP IDOL 1. !!!

Thanks for this brilliant review, Barbirgirl. Isn't it just wonderful when you hear other people saying lovely things about Gareth and being surprised by his talent? I don't see the show until Cardiff in just under four weeks time but have never had any doubt that Gareth would be fantastic in it. He is so professional and hard-working and will have rehearsed his dance moves until they were perfect. He is very modest about his dancing ability (because he has not had formal training and it doesn't come naturally to him) but he does have musicality and rhythm meaning that he gets there in the end.

I also watched the film the other week and enjoyed it and understand the story. However I was disappointed that the singing was all on the backing track - it just seemed to be about the dancing. It was obvious to me that the stage musical version was going to be much different with the actors singing the songs but I think it is extra special that they also play the instruments. I am so looking forward to seeing it.

Also love so many of the tweets from people not knowing what they would get from Gareth's performance and being impressed.

Guest NicolaJayne

Thank you Barbiegirl for your fantastic review, did you manage to see Gareth after, or did you not go to the stage door?

What our husbands have to put up with, when we go to Woking I have managed to twist Brian's arm to take us as its quite a way and neither my friend or I drive, it's not his thing at all though and no way would he go more than once.

He has been known to close his eyes at Gareth shows too, so embarrassing.

No Elaine, we didn't go to stage door as we needed to get back for our dog. I did have a quick look around the back of the theatre and wasn't sure where the stage door actually was. Apart from Les Mis, Osmonds tour and Momentous musicals, none of the stuff Gareth has been in is my husband's thing so I am very grateful when he does go with me and he usually finishes up enjoying it!

A review is in:

http://www.thereviewshub.com/footloose-the-orchard-theatre-dartford-2/

Footloose-1.jpg?resize=620%2C330
Footloose – The Orchard Theatre, Dartford

Posted by: The Reviews Hub - South East in Musical, Review, South East

Stage Adaptation: Dean Pitchford and Walter Bobbie
Director: Racky Plews
Choreographer: Matthew Cole
Reviewer: Dan English

There’s a sizzling musical at Dartford’s Orchard Theatre as Footloose makes a stop on it’s new UK Tour.

Based on the 1980s cult film, the Racky Plews-directed musical sees city boy Ren McCormack (Luke Baker) struggle to fit into life in Bomont, a heavily devout Christian town that has outlawed dancing. Coupled alongside his desire to reintroduce dancing, Ren seeks the heart of Ariel (Hannah Price), whose bully-boy boyfriend and Reverend father provide a number of stumbling blocks along the way.

Baker’s Ren is a perfect representation of the rebellious yet sweet-natured maverick who upsets the dance fearing community. Baker’s performance both vocally and physically embody an inner struggle that you see unravel in the character throughout.His ability to standout from quite an impeccable ensemble cast should be noted too. Alongside Baker for most of the production is Hannah Price, who is Ariel. Price’s Ariel is fascinating, with Price’s ability to switch from good doting Christian girl to a teenager who just wants to escape her humdrum town impressive. Furthermore, as a strong bond develops between Ren and Ariel, the chemistry between Baker and Price is equally as electric. This comes to a fitting climax which is only so well crafted because of the performer’s talents.

Gareth Gates is the lovably dim Willard, who backs Ren when no one else does after he moves to Bomont. Despite this being such a charged production, there is very little time left for humour, but the time dedicated to it often links to Gates’ Willard, and Gates pulls this off successfully. A scene where Willard is taught to dance is a particular highlight, with Gates showing an impressive ability with slapstick humour too.

Further mentions must also be made for Nigel Lister and Maureen Nolan, who are Ariel’s stuffy parents. Lister is particularly infuriating, in a good way, as the stubborn Reverend, whilst his wife is seen as slightly rebellious towards the end. In such a feel good musical, it is difficult to perform as the unlikeable character (Lister), yet the Reverend is successful in doing this. In addition, Natasha Brown, Miracle Chance and Joanna Sawyer are entertaining as Wendy, Urleen and Rusty respectively, friends of Ariel. The three provide much more to the characters than just giggly high school seniors, with their performance of Somebody’s Eyes a highlight.

Choreographed by Matthew Cole, this show is simply a masterclass in using dance to story tell. Cole utilises the rock anthem music (Tom Snow) to provide a real dancing treat. There is a haunting staging of Somebody’s Eyes, a playful Holding Out For A Hero and a mesmerising I’m Free / Heaven Help Me, all of which delivered to the highest standard. This production is enhanced thanks to the dancing talents of the entire cast and they showcase their skills to breathtaking effect in this show.

In addition, it is refreshing to see the musical talent of the cast stretches to musical instrument abilities too with almost all the cast performing with an instrument at some point. This is an unusual tact in a mainstream musical but it goes a long way to show just how rooted music and its performance is in this production.

Sara Perks’ design captures the era of the musical and both costume and set provide quick manipulation which is ultimately vital in a fast packed musical such as this. Perks’ set in particular does well to incorporate the performers/musicians as well as provide a wide space for all of the jaw-dropping dancing displays.

One drawback of the production is that the dialogue between musical numbers serve as a mere stop-gap. The dialogue often slows the pace of the production down, which is disappointing and does serve to make the last section of Act Two, albeit except the Footloose finale, almost unbearable. The lack of depth in the spoken word, rather than the lyrics, is frustrating but in truth this does not detract too much from the sensational singing and dancing performances on display.

Footloose is a powerhouse of a musical, with pumped rock anthems and a wicked selection of choreography too. Admittedly there are one or two flaws, but it’s not enough to make you cut loose.

Runs until 13 February 2106 and continues to tour | Image: Matt Martin

Guest NicolaJayne
No Elaine, we didn't go to stage door as we needed to get back for our dog. I did have a quick look around the back of the theatre and wasn't sure where the stage door actually was. Apart from Les Mis, Osmonds tour and Momentous musicals, none of the stuff Gareth has been in is my husband's thing so I am very grateful when he does go with me and he usually finishes up enjoying it!

Thank you for letting me know, stage doors are not always easy to spot are they.

Your husband sounds very similar to mine Barbiegirl, we are both very lucky that they take us and are prepared to go to some of the shows. He says Footloose is not his thing but will probably enjoy it, he also hates sitting on the front row and would prefer to be a few rows back.