Footloose the Musical Tour Reviews.

eternal

Have an image of these poor husbands sitting on the front row :lol:

Another review in:

http://theblogoftheatrethings.com/2016/02/10/review-footloose-at-the-orchard-theatre/

Footloose, as most people above a certain age will know, was the 1984 movie starring a young Kevin Bacon as teenager Ren McCormack. Forced to leave Chicago and move to the small town of Bomont, Ren discovers that dancing’s been banned by the town council, and immediately sets about trying to change their minds. It’s based on a true story about Elmore City, Oklahoma, and touches on issues of religion, loss, prejudice and gender roles.

Now adapted for the stage by the movie’s original creator Dean Pitchford, and directed by Racky Plews, Footloose is a toe-tapping triumph of a show in which the multi-talented cast are also the band; they may not always be allowed to dance but they can still express themselves through music, playing everything from the electric guitar to the oboe. This gives the show a very collaborative feel, reminiscent of the brilliant Once (although in every other respect the two couldn’t be more different).

It might surprise some people to learn that the show’s big name star, Gareth Gates, doesn’t play the central role of Ren. That honour goes to Luke Baker, who gives an impressive, layered performance as the tortured teen. Gates, meanwhile, plays Ren’s friend Willard, in what turns out to be a perfect piece of casting. He’s a bit awkward, nervous around girls and far too attached to his mama, but with a twinkly charm and impeccable comic timing that’s guaranteed to win over anyone who still thinks of him as just that guy from Pop Idol. And his performance is memorable for another reason… but I won’t ruin the surprise.

Maureen Nolan – no stranger to emotional roles after recently reprising her role as Mrs Johnstone in Blood Brothers – plays Vi Moore, the preacher’s wife torn between loyalty to her husband (Nigel Lister) and concern about the rebellious behaviour of their daughter, Ariel (Hannah Price, who makes her professional debut in style). But it would be wrong to single out any one cast member; this is very much a team effort, and a fantastic one at that.

Choreographer Matthew Cole has captured the freedom of dance that’s so key to the story; though it may not all be particularly elegant, it’s full of energy and an irresistible joy to watch. The cast also make the line dancing routines look very easy, which I know from brutal experience they really aren’t. (I went to a line dancing class the other day. Let’s move on.)

And finally there’s the music, some of which was written specially for the musical by Tom Snow – but the tunes that really get the audience bopping in their seats are the classic hits from the movie, which include I Need A Hero, Let’s Hear It For The Boy and, of course, the title track. It’s a perfect piece of 80s nostalgia, for those of us old enough to remember that far back; for everyone else it’s just great fun.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NicolaJayne

My review from evening performance 12th February.

Set off in plenty of time with Linda driving, I don't drive, we had an easy journey with the sat nav just a bit of a problem when we got there as we could only find the orchard shopping centre car park, very expensive if staying over 5 hrs £10. We eventually located the Civic theatre car park free after 5 00pm and open till very late. Useful for anyone going tonight. Had a bite to eat then walked over the bridge to the theatre, still plenty of time so we had a drink in the bar. Where we saw Caitlin and her Mum Sharon who we had a few words with and when we went to our seats found they were sitting next to us on the front row.

We were very surprised to find there was an earlier show still running which started at 5 00pm.

It's a little while before Gareth appears on stage as a really comic character, this is a very different role for Gareth,very funny with his cap back to front. Playing a half wit who is very awkward around girls although Gareth has quite a lot to say the only disappointment for me was that he only sang one solo song, which we are not used to, and I think Maria may have been right about Gareth protecting his voice as Mad about The Musicals is such a hard sing and Footloose coming in the middle of it will give his vocal chords chance to recover before going back to it. Gareth is on stage most of the time and really mastered the American ascent, there is no end to this mans talents and he never ceases to surprise me with how diverse his shows are. The highlight for the show for me was Ren teaching Willard to dance, very funny and as been said before he can never say now that he can't dance, the other highlight has to be Gareth in his shorts, the muscle food and trips to the gym have really paid off. The show seems quite short, but doesn't any show Gareth is in seem to be over far too quickly,especially the second half.

The whole cast are brilliant not just Gareth and I can we'll see why it's one of the top 12 shows to see in London and the south east for Valentines Day.

At the end we made our way to the stage door, seeing most of the cast come out, the last one being Maureen who when I asked if Gareth was coming out said yes Gareth always comes out.a few people had pics taken with her and she was very nice saying her mum had nine children 7 girls and 2 boys, and in the days before washing machines, the woman deserves a medal.

Then a sign was put up that the stage door was closed and we were told Gareth had gone, so must have gone out the front entrance.

So the little crowd dispersed all very disappointed.Never mind always another time, we only wanted to tell him how excellant he was in the role.

Caitlin and Sharan never came to the stage door, so t think proberbly saw Gareth in the foyer,

The programmes are £4 00 but none of the lovely coloured pics that have appeared on Twitter, only the small black and white rehearsal pics. Just a nice write up on Gareth covering most of his career and a small pic of him.

This is a show though that I think most people will want to see again and as we were on our way out I heard quite a few people making complimentary comments about Gareth.

Thanks for a great review Elaine.

Gareth obviously knew the part of Willard before he took on the part and in the review which reads -

It might surprise some people to learn that the show’s big name star, Gareth Gates, doesn’t play the central role of Ren. That honour goes to Luke Baker, who gives an impressive, layered performance as the tortured teen. Gates, meanwhile, plays Ren’s friend Willard, in what turns out to be a perfect piece of casting

makes one realise Gareth knew exactly what he was doing and what he wanted from the part he was playing.

You say-

there is no end to this mans talents and he never ceases to surprise me with how diverse his shows are.

so this must be how he wants people to perceive him.

I do think the people waiting at the stage door should be alerted when Gareth is not coming out (for whatever his reason) because there is nothing more dissappointing.

Glad you had a great night after you first time of not seeing the Panto.

Guest NicolaJayne

I have to agree with you Chris that when he is not coming out then we should be told, especially on a night when the weathers bad and it's really cold, but it was quite sheltered and didn't feel that cold last night and we were kept entertained by a lady on her own who had travelled quite a long way by bus for the second night on running, but she hadn't been to the show and obviously not seen Gareth for some time as everyone who came out she asked if they were Gareth, so it was quite funny. One of the actors said to her I wish I was and I had his money. We were disappointed but I was more upset for her though as she said I pray he will come out tonight as I can't come tomorrow night. She was a bit nervous going over the bridge on her own so I said come with us.there was also a little girl with a rose for Gareth so it was a bit sad. Gareth hasn't said why he didn't come out, he sometimes does, not that he has to explain himself it may just have been that Faye was with him and they wanted to spend some time together as he will have had another 2 shows today.

Thanks for your lovely and very detailed report Elaine :) really cannot wait to see the show myself :)

I see your point Chris but there has been times where I've been at the stage door with Sarahjane etc and we was told by someone Gareth won't be coming out or he gone another way and we ignored and continued to wait there thinking the person may just be lying to get rid of people or are wrong lol.

Thanks for your lovely report, Elaine. It's great that you've been able to see Footloose so early in the run. I'm sure it was really good to see Gareth in another type of role, I think he knows what he wants to do and makes a determined effort to achieve his goals. I also believe that he is resting his voice to a certain extent with only one solo in this show and, in panto, he only did four songs where he took a major part (it even seemed that he was holding back in the group numbers, usually you can pick out his voice easily over everyone else).

What a shame you didn't get to see Gareth at the stage door. Though he generally seems to have a good reason when he leaves by another exit, it's still disappointing for anyone waiting - better luck next time.

There is another review in:

http://www.westendwilma.com/review-footloose-the-musical-the-orchard-theatre-dartford/

Footloose The Musical tells the story about a city boy Ren, played by Luke Baker, who is forced to move to Bromont, a town in America where dancing is banned. It isn’t long before he decides to break the rules and soon after, despite some resistance, he has the town on their feet.

The show features some 80’s classics such as “Let’s Hear It For The Boy” and “Almost Paradise”. Not forgetting the smash hit “Footloose” which you cannot help but tap your feet and sing along to!

Another classic, “Holding Out for A Hero”, results in Willard, the town nerd, played by Gareth Gates, having his overalls ripped off showing off his oily torso. The female members of the audience appeared to enjoy this number, although it did feel a little too cheesy and out of place.

Nigel Lister and Maureen Nolan play the respective parents of Ariel, played by Natasha Brown. The audience follows the story of Ariel and Ren and her subsequent struggles at dealing with how her father treats her.

I really enjoyed the actor-musician element of the show and how the majority of the cast played instruments at some point. This blended in well and was enjoyable to see. However during Act 1, I struggled to keep up with the storyline as there was so much activity on stage.

The set for this production was good, although in some scenes it became quite bland. Although I did like how the musicians were incorporated into the set in most scenes.

Footloose has plenty of things for everybody to enjoy and will have you foot-tapping and singing along to some classic songs of the 1980’s.

Reviewed by Sam Harler

Another review in too:

https://www.thestage.co.uk/reviews/2016/footloose-the-musical-review-at-orchard-theatre-dartford-cheap-but-cheerful/

Footloose is an odd hybrid – equal parts a conventional film-to-stage transfer of a popular 1984 movie, a jukebox show, full of the film's 80s hits like Holding Out for a Hero and Let’s Hear it for the Boy, and an original musical.

There's something both formulaic and generic about its structure too. This is Grease-meets-Glee territory, the story revolving around a newcomer to an American high school who has a transformative effect on his classmates and their families. Dean Pitchford and Walter Bobbie's 1998 stage adaptation of Pitchford's screenplay also has a tendency, particularly in its second act, to get both excessively wordy and worthy as it tries to shine a spotlight on parental grieving and recovery.

But in-between all this the show has ample excuse to feature a bunch of kids performing vigorous, aerobics style dancing – choreographed by Matthew Cole – their routines set to mostly bland pop tunes, new and old, plus a few easy-listening tunes in the mode of Barry Manilow, in songs like Almost Paradise or Can You Find it In Your Heart? There's also a rousing folksy country-and-western pastiche in Mama Says (You Can't Back Down), which is sweetly delivered by headliner Gareth Gates in the role of the town nerd.

Though the lead role of Ren, who relocates from Chicago to small-town Bomont when his parents split up, is energetically played by Luke Baker, Racky Plews's touring production isn't helped by an ugly, cheap-looking design. But when the cast of actor-musicians – including Scott Haining on guitar which should make him perfect casting for the London production of School of Rock – are pumping out the songs there are plenty of things to enjoy.

Lovely report Elaine as always. Agree with you the best part is where Willard is taught to dance. The timing was perfect and very funny. Very disappointing that Gareth didn't appear at the stage door for you and all those people who probably won't be seeing it again. I know you will be going again so it will be interesting to see if he comes out next time. Looking forward to that report! All in all reviews seem very complimentary of Gareth in Footloose.

Guest NicolaJayne

Thanks for another 2 reviews of the show, all make interesting reading.

I think Maybe Gareth didn't come out as he would be busy getting organised for the Valentines weekend at Champneys with Faye, they get very little time together and having 2 shows Saturday,they would probably set off straight after the second show from the theatre.

This is a fab review :thumbsup:

http://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2016/02/review-footloose-the-musical/

There has recently been something of an 80s revival in cultural matters with acts such as Rick Astley, Adam Ant and ABC being part of the Rewind Festival which visits Scotland in July. If you recall that decade with more than a passing fondness and can’t wait until the summer for your 80s ‘fix’ then you should try to get along to Edinburgh’s Festival Theatre this week for Footloose: The Musical.

Based on the 1984 film in which American actor Kevin Bacon made his name, Footloose: The Musical is the story of Ren McCormack (played by Luke Baker) who loves dancing in the big city of Chicago but has to move to small town Bomont where dancing is banned following a tragic accident. However, new kid in town Ren is out to defy orders from the town’s Rev Shaw Moore, played by Nigel Lister and soon has the rest of the town following his lead. His actions impress the Rev Shaw’s daughter Ariel, superbly played by Hannah Price.

The show is an effervescent collage of energy, high spirits, impressive dance moves and music which will take you back more than three decades. The second half of the show is quite moving in parts and a testament to the skills of the performers. Although the ending is as cheesy as a slice of gorgonzola, for those who have seen the film they will know what to expect.

Those who do remember the 1980s will doubtless recall songs such as Let’s Hear It For The Boy, Holding Out For A Hero, Almost Paradise, Mama Says as well as the title song.

Luke Baker – whose recent credits include American Idiot, Sunny Afternoon and Hairspray – gives a fine performance but it’s the performance of Willard, played by Pop Idol runner-up Gareth Gates, which is the highlight of an impressive show. Gates has enjoyed a successful stage career since those Pop Idol days with hit shows such as Les Misérables, Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat and Legally Blonde to his name. He plays the part of the loveable but naive Willard brilliantly.

Also in the impressive cast are Maureen Nolan, a veteran of stage musicals and someone who can count Frank Sinatra among the many stars she has worked with and Matthew Tomlinson.

I have to admit I had thought about cancelling my visit to the show as the Hibs-Hearts Scottish Cup replay was in my thoughts. However, when I couldn’t get a ticket for the game at Easter Road, I reverted to Plan A and headed for a musical treat. And given the way events transpired at the football, I’m glad I did!

If you want good old-fashioned entertainment and enjoy a blast from the past, head along to Edinburgh’s Festival Theatre for a thoroughly entertaining evening.

With music by Tom Snow and lyrics by Dean Pitchford, Footloose: The Musical is adapted for the stage by Dean Pitchford and Walter Bobbie and is produced by David Hutchinson, Phillip Rowntree, Jason Haigh-Ellery, Stephen McGill and Runaway Entertainment. It runs at The Edinburgh Festival Theatre until Saturday 20 February 2016. Click here for ticket information

Edinburgh Reporter Review: ****

How your mind can be changed!

http://www.edinblogger.com/2016/review-footloose-the-musical-festival-theatre/

On my planet, there’s a legend about people like you. It’s called Footloose. And in it, a great hero, named Kevin Bacon, teaches an entire city full of people with sticks up their butts that dancing, well…

It’s the greatest thing there is! – Peter Quill (Star-Lord)

Let’s face it, Footloose was a mediocre and unmemorable film. I’m a huge fan of Kevin Bacon (and normal bacon) but that film was an absolute cringe-fest. I managed to avoid the failed remake from 2011 but somehow ended up seeing the musical… alone.

It wasn’t my choice, let’s get that out in the open. I’m with Reverend Shaw, dancing is dangerous (especially the way I do it). My partner wanted to see it but conveniently got ill moments before the show started which left me, Footloose’s No.1 Fan, the solitary task of praying that Bomont would finally lift the ban on freedom ofspeech feet.

I never realised the story of Footloose originated from actual real life truth. A small town in the US, Elmore City, had outlawed dancing for almost 90 years until a group of teenagers challenged the law and fought for their right to party.

I never realised the story of Footloose originated from actual real life truth. A small town in the US, Elmore City, had outlawed dancing for almost 90 years until a group of teenagers challenged the law and fought for their right to party.

Ren McCormack (Luke Baker) is the troublemaker teaching the people of Bomont to dance, assisted by his new friend and simpleton, Willard (Gareth Gates). The musical is playful and full of energy, with live music provided by the cast in the form of guitars, sax, keyboards and trumpets to name a few. There are plenty of nods towards the classic (as in original) film, and a handful of recognisable songs. Big hits such as the titular Footloose, Somebody’s Eyes, Let’s Hear It For The Boy and Holding Out For A Hero all got the audience swaying and plenty of toes tapping. There was no law to forbid audience enjoyment, that’s for sure.

I didn’t go in to Footloose with an open mind, but it was slightly ajar. It turned out there was more than enough to enjoy – catchy songs performed well and plenty of laughs.

Footloose the Musical is a vast improvement on the original film, but I’d imagine if you loved the film then this show would be unmissable.

Summary

Footloose is a tight performance with catchy songs and comedy. Fans of the original film will get a kick out of this, I hear fans of the remake don't exist. I went in assuming I'd hate it but came out pleasantly surprised, the only major problem I'll have is getting the songs out of my head.

Hi All

Hope that I am posting in the right section. Just wanted to quickly come on and say the show is absolutely amazing!! (I saw it tonight in Edinburgh) It's really comical and Gareth plays such a fantastic part. I really think he definitely showed himself as an actor one that is very talented and versatile. I couldn't post without saying how stunning he looked. Gareth looked so good and really buff tonight, and boy can he dance! Everyone in the seats around where my friend and I were sat all seemed to be rather impressed with Gareth. I'm still buzzing. It was that amazing. It really is a must see show.. In fact I definitely must see it again!!

Katie