Footloose the Musical Tour Reviews.

eternal

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NicolaJayne

Thank you Chris for yet another good review and Thank you Katie for telling us about

Seeing Footloose in Edinburgh. After such a long journey.

Gill also travelled far to see Footloose in Edinburgh and went 3 nights, not sure if she is a member on here or not.

a friend of mine was also in edinburgh over the weekend with her daughter

and last night my friend posted on her facebook page she was sat in tutto matto (italian rest) next to gareth gates and his girlfriend before they went to see footloose my friend had no idea who gareth and faye are her daughter had to point it out to her mum lol

Another great review

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/gareth-gates-plays-laughs-brings-10943819

Gareth Gates plays it for laughs as he brings Footloose to Cardiff

Playing new roles and battling a speech impediment have proved challenging for the former Pop Idol star
footloose.jpg

Challenges are not something Gareth Gates shies away from, whether it’s playing a new role or conquering the battles he’s faced with his speech since he was young.

After finding success on the inaugural series of Pop Idol in 2001, releasing three albums and achieving four UK number one singles, Gates forayed into theatre where he’s made a name for himself in productions such as Legally Blonde, Les Misérables and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

He’s now wearing a slightly different theatrical hat, playing the more jocular role of Willard in the stage production of Footloose.

“Willard is the comedic role in the show and that’s a part I’ve never played so it’s been a challenge, but an exciting one” he says. “The show is very light and uplifting and I’m loving having fun with the role and getting a laugh.”

Gareth was adamant he wanted to be involved with the show, having loved the film as a young boy and admitting he’s a ‘sucker for 80s music’, so when the producers asked him to get on board, saying no was never an option.

footloose.jpg

However, his exact involvement was ‘up in the air’ at first, and Gareth was initially considered for the lead, Ren MacCormack.

“I’m not the greatest of dancers, and to play Ren, you really have to be an amazing dancer,” the 31-year-old said.

“So after looking at the script and seeing Willard was a comedic character, I thought it’d be great to do something I’d never done before.”

Gareth is almost one month into a three-month stint in Footloose, and so far the show has been extremely rewarding for the musician, who said competing in Dancing on Ice helped tremendously.

“It’s been great, the audiences have been packed and they’ve responded really well,” he said.

The show, which features all the famous hits including the title track and other favourites such as Let’s Hear It For The Boy and Holding Out for a Hero, is touring the UK until August with Gates as Willard until April 16 then returning to the show from June 20.

“At the end of the show there’s a mega mix of all the songs, and everyone’s usually on their feet.

“I think the live aspect of things is the reason I’ve done so much theatre over the years, getting that response from people then and there, night after night, is amazing.”

Being away from his daughter

But despite the evident rush of doing live shows and his love of performing, he admitted it’s difficult being away from home, and more importantly, away from his six-year-old daughter Missy.

Constantly being on the road has taken some getting used to and Gates’ other major battle, one that he’s been fighting his whole life, is his struggle with speech.

To see him on stage or hear him sing as fluently and eloquently as he does, you would never guess the extent of this struggle, but it’s something the musician refers to as an ‘ongoing battle.’

“I have good days and bad days,” he said. “But for me, being on stage is a lot easier.”

His difficulties with speech seem to fade away

“I’ve always had good experiences with singing so I haven’t got any sort of negative association between that and having a speech impediment. I think it’s why I love it so much,” he said.

“As a child, I wasn’t able to get any words out, it was very hard and I really think that’s why my love for music has blossomed.”

“For me, it’s a form of expression and release.”

It’s clear that no personal or professional challenge is getting in Gates’ way, and with the hope of a new album out in the next year or two and various musical projects in the pipeline, he’s only raising his own bar higher and higher.

Footloose is at the New Theatre, Cardiff, from Monday, February 29 until Saturday, March 5. Call 029 2087 8889

This is a brilliant article, especially as it says that Gareth was initially offered the part of Ren. I've known this for ages but didn't feel that it was appropriate for me to say anything, therefore I'm really pleased that it has come up in an interview and been reported. It gives an indication of how highly regarded Gareth is within musical theatre.

Thanks for posting, Val.

Guest NicolaJayne

It's a great article Val thank you for posting, it's also a feather in Gareths cap that he was considered for the main part in Footloose but declined because he didn't feel his dancing was up to scratch. Though I am sure he would have rose to the challenge.

He has now got lots of experience in playing very different roles in musical theatre and think that the world is his oyster now in this career and he will never be short of work.

I still think his first love is his own music though but with so many brilliant song writers and new artists coming along I think that this will be much harder to get back into, chart wise I mean. Although I am sure he will keep doing gigs for his fans and gaining yet more fans with his roles in the theatre.

Another good review especially for Gareth, but the reviewer thinks they didn't make the most of Gareth's talents.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/theatre-news/footloose-fun-romp-loyal-fans-10976758

Footloose is a fun romp for loyal fans but failed to make the most of star Gareth Gates

JS83582029.jpg

Gareth Gates in the new production of Footloose: The Musical

OK, cards on the table from the start, I have never seen the much-loved film this serviceable musical is culled from.

Goodness knows what I was up to in the 1980s, waiting for The Smiths to release a new album most likely, but I somehow resisted the charms of Kevin Bacon leaping about to the Kenny Loggins title track. You know it, right?

You will do after this anyway, with us treated to what seems like five different versions of it at the start, in the middle and in a finale that brought a clearly smitten audience to its feet.

Related : Gareth Gates plays it for laughs in Footloose

The story, what there is of it, is simple. Chicago Ren McCormack, a lad from the wrong sides of the tracks in Chicago (although is there any other side of the tracks to come from?) moves with his mum to the Hicksville town of Bomont, a place entrenched in the American bible-belt and presided over by local preacher, the Reverend Shaw Moore, a role skilfully pitched by Nigel Lister, arguably the best actor in the whole thing.

In Bomont, dancing is banned, which to be honest, if you’ve ever seen me dance, seems like a good thing, but is a bad thing in this context as, hey, the kids want to have a good time, they want to have a party!

The first thing to say is that the show starts interminably slowly, taking an age for everyone to warm up. It perhaps never really gets going until the ‘big name’ of the evening, Pop Idol veteran Gareth Gates, enters the fray as the bumbling, but kind-hearted Willard.

footloose.jpg

Gareth Gates as Willard

Gates is without doubt the best singer on stage, I mean, you don’t get to almost win one of the biggest singing competitions in history without being able to hold a tune, so why he seems to have only one solo number all night remains a mystery.

As for the other leads, well, Luke Baker as the maverick Ren, is an attractive figure, but the voice and, funnily enough, the dancing barely rises above passable.

The same goes for Reverend Moore’s daughter Ariel played by Hannah Price, a character not named after Shakespeare’s freedom-seeking spirit from The Tempest by accident.

Maureen Nolan, of Nolan Sisters’ fame, is fine as the repressed Vi Moore and school principal Clark.

Indeed the entire cast is fully committed, eventually, as they take us through the likes of ‘Holding Out For A Hero’ and ‘Let’s Hear It For The Boy’ and one can only marvel that they play their own instruments on stage.

Another great review in:

http://thenerdytheatre.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/footloose-tour.html

Footloose is the best 80s dance film. Better than Dirty Dancing. There. I've said it. I stand by it. I love an 80s dance film in general (except Dirty Dancing, I really hate that film) but Footloose is unashamedly my favourite. Added to that an early 00's pop favourite in Gareth Gates and Footloose is the making of an excellent, entertaining night out.
I love Footloose. I love the film and I have seen the stage version more times than I should probably admit. And for someone who is admittedly fairly snobby about film to stage/jukebox musicals that's saying something. Did I mention I just really love an 80s dance film?

The current touring version (Directed by Racky Plews) is a slightly altered version to the original that toured in 204 (is it that long ago already?) with altered orchestrations-including actor-musicians, and new choreography. And it looks better than ever.
The story, in case you've never encountered it, centres on Ren McCormack (Luke Baker) who moves from Chicago to Bomont West Virginia with his Mom (Maureen Nolan) after his Father runs off. Bomont West Virginia, while also being what I think is technically known as 'the arse end of nowhere' also has the unfortunate law that no dancing is allowed within city limits. But of course, all Ren wants to do is dance. The reason for the ban on dancing isn't just because they are crazy hicks from West Virginia, but also because the Reverend, who seems to have an unusual amount of power over the town, blames music for an accident and the death of his son. It's not complicated, it doesn't make a great deal of sense, but it makes for a pretty good backdrop for a lot of dancing, and some genuinely hilarious moments.
Firstly, as you'd expect the dancing is brilliantly choreographed and performed. Matthew Cole's choreography takes enough elements of the original, and influences of 80s dance styles to make look authentic and familiar, but has also mixed it up enough to make it feel innovative. The cast all perform flawlessly and with such an infectious energy it's hard not to be won over. The actor-musician element also adds a great dimension to the piece. Although some complain this style is overdone, the live music in Footloose really adds a dimension to what could otherwise feel like a flat piece of partly jukebox musical. Instead the music feels like a part of the narrative, in the ways a classic Kenny Loggins track always did in an 80s film.
The cast work incredibly hard as an ensemble, and it feels unfair to highlight individuals. However, Luke Baker as Ren shows off some incredible dance skills and manages to gesture towards the iconic Kevin Bacon performance, without imitating him. Mention must also be made to Gareth Gates as Willard (who was always my favourite, and the one I'd ask to the dance at the end). Giving one of the most hilarious performances I've seen in a while as the slightly dim-witted uncoordinated Willard. The scene in which he learns to dance is utterly ridiculous, his expressions alone are worth the ticket. Mention should also be made (and credit given) to direction/choreography that mean Gates is stripped down to a tiny pair of shorts...it might not be a great artistic decision but it defiantly was a crowd pleaser. And that sums up Footloose really. It's a crowd pleasing fun, energetic night out. And sometimes, that's exactly what you need in the theatre. That, and apparently Gareth Gates in little clothing.
:thumbsup:

Guest NicolaJayne

Thanks Chris for finding this brilliant review, I suspect the person who wrote this one to be a Gareth fan.

Thank you also Val for the Cardiff review, also a good one,it's such a feel good show.

Nice review from Manchester Evening News. They can't heap enough praise on Gareth in this tour can they.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/theatre-news/review-footloose--palace-theatre-11042127

Lovable country bumpkin Willard is played by Gareth Gates.

The runner up of 2001's Pop Idol, X Factor 's predecessor, has said he's not a natural dancer, but he does a pretty faultless job.

His entire performance is cheered loudly and repeatedly by the crowd and deservedly so.

Not only can he sing but he has a great comic talent too.

Who knew?

JS84028863.jpgGareth Gates in Footloose

In fact I discovered a lot I didn't know about Gareth tonight, including what he looks like in a pair of gold embellished hotpants.

Another review in

http://mummyfever.co.uk/footloose-the-musical/

What we thought

I was a big fan of the movie years ago and love the key songs from the soundtrack, because of this, and the hype about the two well-known cast members I had really high hopes for this musical.

It was quite slow to start and somehow lacked energy for a fair proportion of the show, which was a tad frustrating given the up-beat music. The ‘Holding Out For A Hero’ number really livened things up, and was my favourite number of the show, followed by the ‘Footloose’ number for the finale.

Hannah Price was truly sensational as Ariel Moore. You would never have known Footloose is her professional debut, she is surely destined for great things! She was endearing, charismatic and had flawless moves and vocals.

Gareth Gates was utterly hilarious and charming in equal measure as Willard. He was impressive in a comedic role and I think in all honesty it was both him and Hannah Price who carried the show. It was a shame that the show did not afford him the opportunity to showcase his incredible vocals, as it was was obvious from the small parts of singing he had that his vocal talent far exceeded that of other cast members. His performance lifted the audience and he received a fantastic response during his key parts. His American accent was impressive and consistent throughout.

The trio of Natasha Brown, Miracle Chance and Joanna Sawyer were strong and worked well together as Wendy-Jo, Urleen and Rusty. They were in-sync, funny and very entertaining and in particular Joanna Sawyer had some outstanding vocal moments.

It was rather deceiving I felt to use Gareth Gates and Maureen Nolan to sell the show as neither plays a lead role. Although Maureen does have a couple of musical numbers, Gareth never gets a chance to show off his singing talents and Maureen’s character was such that she only really gets the chance to let loose in the final number.

The major strength of this production I feel is the musical talent of The Company. They accompanied themselves on a range of musical instruments during the show which was very impressive. Many playing multiple instruments, for example, Gareth Gates plays guitar and keys, Hannah Price plays keys, trumpet and clarinet, Natalie Morton-Graham plays the role of Eleanor as well as sax, clarinet, keys and trumpet. This was a really fascinating aspect of the show and must be quite rare.

Ren McCormack is usually played by Luke Baker but when we saw the show it was his stand in Thomas Cotran. It must be a hard job to stand in for a lead role but I do think that Thomas struggled with the vocals. His acting was quite convincing but something was missing about the performance.

I think I expected to be overwhelmed and I was left rather underwhelmed by Footloose.

However, there is some serious talent in The Company, I just feel the energy needs to be lifted a few notches, which they have time to do during the remaining tour dates.

This seems from someone who is familiar with the cast.

It's a great write up for Gareth.

This *** review from Whatsonstage isn't the greatest for the production but absolutely fabulous for Gareth

http://www.whatsonstage.com/manchester-theatre/reviews/footloose-manchester-palace-theatre_39969.html

Criticising a show like Footloose, is a bit like contemplating the act of kicking a kitten: it'd be nothing short of an unprovoked attack on an innocent creature. What's the point of being cruel when all it wants to do is curl up on your lap and purr?

An adaptation of Dean Pitchford's 1984 film based on the real life town that banned dancing, Footloose does exactly what you'd expect it to do - and you can't be angry with it for that. But it remains a fact that this is musical theatre by numbers: the schmaltzy plot; cardboard cut-out characters; the super-talented cast; clichés piled high upon clichés; boy meets girl schlock; a clap-along climax and enough crotch clutching to make a maiden blush. I could go on.

I could also sit here and criticise the production through the lens of a lifetime of deconstructing drama from a feminist perspective, but again, what would be the point? (Plus, you'd all be bored senseless.) Suffice to say, a plucky cast give it all they've got and look like they're having fun, especially with the big numbers that we all know and er... love.

Racky Plews' direction is a little flat-footed and too linear, with the actors' space to breathe constrained by a clunky set (why do the drums take up so much precious stage? We want to see more dancing!) and an odd conceit that involves the cast occasionally playing their instruments on stage.

But it's Gareth Gates (on tour with the show on certain dates) who surprises. He's super. Chockablock with full-bodied magnetism and stage presence, with a mellifluous voice and above all very funny, he steals the show. It made me think that I'd like to see him in more, shall we say, challenging roles.

For me, this revival of 1984's biggest-grossing film is my room 101: it represents the prospect of being locked in a dystopian nightmare of American-accented post-drama school kids forever performing teenage musicals on an eternal loop. For you, it might just be the perfect night out.

Footloose runs at the Palace Theatre, Manchester until 19 March, after which it tours. Click here for further details.

Guest NicolaJayne

The Manchester reviewer was very impressed with Gareth, wonder if the views will be as good on willards character when the understudy take over. Think Gareth is a hard act to follow.

I saw this on Tuesday with Doris and last night with my hubby - on Tuesday there was an understudy on for Ren and I thought the show came across as quite disjointed, the first half especially, and apart from Gareth I wasn't particulary impressed with the performances. A good reception from the audience at the end but only a few people gave a standing ovation.

Last night Luke Baker was back as Ren and this made a huge difference to the show. It was much tighter, everyones performances seemed to be much better to me, it also meant there was an extra person playing and singing and I really enjoyed the whole show. Gareth got a fantastic reaction, lots of laughter and the audience loved him. At the end literally everyone was on their feet including my hubby - glad to say he loved it as well and said that Gareth was a great comedy actor - this was such a relief as after Tuesday night I was really worried about him seeing it.

Can't wait to see it again in Bradford.

Glad you had the chance to see Luke Baker in the leading role Val as we thought he was very good, but both my husband and I thought that it was Gareth's appearance during the first half that lifted the whole thing. I don't think we've seen Gareth in this type of role before and I think he's surprised quite a few people. Seems ages since we saw it in its first week in Bridlington now. Good to hear your husband enjoyed it too!