Yorksheather

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gareth tells us in this interview how he makes Cuppanut work

https://www.pinkparcel.co.uk/how-i-make-it-work-gareth-gates-cuppanut/

Gareth Gates on Cuppanut: How I Make It Work

Our new small business series shines a spotlight on the many exciting and entrepreneurial partners we champion at Pink Parcel – all in the name of making your box better every month, of course. This week, we spoke to Gareth Gates (yes, that one), of Cuppanut.

Gareth has built his business from the ground up, making him something of a rarity in a celebrity endorsed world. His vision of creating a natural ‘coconut tea’ – without the ‘tea’ – is now a reality. With no caffeine or nasty ingredients, his company, Cuppanut, makes biodegradable tea bags filled with real coconut. The coconut tea currently comes in three flavours: coconut, coconut and cranberry, and coconut ginger and turmeric.

8K9A0312.jpg

GARETH GATES AT THE RECENT PINK PARCEL PARTNER EVENT

Our Head of Partner Relations, Rebecca Martin says, “We’re so excited to feature Cuppanut in Pink Parcel in September. I was sold as soon as Gareth approached me and explained the health benefits of his coconut infusion. Gareth’s girlfriend, Faye Brookes, is already a Pink Parcel subscriber and Gareth told me he was intrigued by the tea partners we include each month, and how his own product could possibly work for us. The cranberry infusion is pink (win), smells and tastes amazing (double win), and we’ve yet to include a product so heavily based around the coconut trend, so I knew it was a great fit. Gareth is so passionate abut the product and its benefits and came up with the idea for the hot drink while recovering from throat surgery. It’s a great story, he knows what he’s talking about and we’re so pleased to have him on board as a partner supporting the Pink Parcel brand.”

Read on to discover Gareth’s story:

I’m the Founder and Managing Director of the business. I oversee everything. The buck stops with me!

Cuppanut is the first ever pure coconut tea. 90% of our teabag ingredients are pure, ground coconut. It’s a much healthier alternative to caffeine filled drinks.

I came up with the idea after recovering from vocal surgery. I recognised that coconut was huge in the market: coconut water, coconut oil. But there was no one doing a hot coconut beverage. Introducing…Cuppanut!

I then sat at my kitchen table, spooning desiccated coconut into empty tea bags! Things developed quite rapidly from there.

My girlfriend loves Pink Parcel. I noticed them arriving each month and asked her what they were. I then thought my product would work perfectly in the parcels, so contacted Pink and the rest is history.

Be prepared to adapt and overcome if you want to succeed. Things change. You have to be ready for that.

Find out more about Cuppanut here.

Fabulous interview with Gareth in the Telegraph. He says his Tea will make him more money than selling records. Don't give up the singing though Gareth

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/fame-fortune/gareth-gates-selling-tea-will-make-me-more-money-than-selling-re/

Gareth Gates: 'Selling tea will make me more money than selling selling records
Bradford teenager Gareth Gates was a shy 17-year-old with spiky hair and a stammer when he was runner-up to Pop Idol winner Will Young in 2002.

Unlike most talent show contestants, Gareth, now 32, notched up four No  1 singles, sold out tours, starred in musicals and is now an ambitious entrepreneur.

Divorced with one daughter, Missy, seven, Gareth lives with his partner, Faye Brookes, and owns homes in Kew and Manchester.

How did your childhood influence your attitude to money?
ADVERTISING

I’m from a family who have always worked hard. My dad, bless him, had to work a full day plus overtime just to pay for my singing lessons. My mum was a full-time mum and foster carer who dreamt of being a midwife.

Once my youngest sister turned 12, Mum decided to do something about it, so she went back to college and has now been a midwife for eight years. My dad worked as a sheet metal worker fitting air-con units all around the country.

What was your first job and how much did it pay?

I’ve never really had a proper job. As a child I was head chorister at Bradford Cathedral and earned £5 a month. It was pocket money, but a great opportunity, working as part of a team and learning all about music.

My highlight was singing for the Queen in 1997 when she visited the cathedral to hand out Maundy money.

I was 17 and studying for my A-levels when I auditioned for Pop Idol and my first earnings were from my recording contract when the show ended.

Was overnight fame matched by overnight wealth?

Yes, if I’m honest. I was an average boy from Bradford but I was thrown into the limelight and offered a six-figure recording contract. Things went from strength to strength.

My parents experienced my huge rise to fame too, with fans camping out in the back garden, so the first property I bought was a farm for them.

468181_gareth-gates-3_MONEY-large_trans+Gareth Gates with fans in 2002 CREDIT: EDDIE MULHOLLAND

It includes a huge house and I took out a mortgage for £680,000. I own several properties now and I’ve always been advised to keep cash. So whenever I can get a mortgage, I keep the cash.

We all went around to see the farm at the same time and my parents loved it, so I said, “Well let’s get it!” They were over the moon and it was a wonderful moment. I watched my dad work so hard just to get me singing lessons, so to be able to give my parents a house gave me a great feeling.

When you had a huge hit with Unchained Melody, did you treat yourself?

I’ve never been too lavish and always watched my money. My dad oversees everything for me and looks after my finance and lawyers. He’s always telling me to be careful.

Are you a spender or a saver?

I’m now a businessman, so I’m a saver when I can be, but I have lots of outgoings. I have a daughter who loves all things Disney, so I need to work hard to provide that.

What has been your best business move?

My best move wasn’t investing in The McGuire [speech therapy] Programme, because it wasn’t a financial investment. But in terms of life-changing impact, I couldn’t do this interview without it.

It’s a constant battle. If I’m stressed or low, my stammer comes back and I’ve had a difficult time with my speech of late. I’ve had lots on, bringing lots of stress, but if I have put the work in, I can see big results.

The moment I stray from the programme – not doing my breathing, voice exercises and forcing myself to do things I don’t want to – is the moment I struggle.

Speaking to strangers is my hardest challenge. I don’t like being a stammerer. I want to be a fluent, perfect speaker like anybody else but I’m hampered by my speech.

It wasn’t until I accepted what I am – a stammerer working hard at my speech – that I started to see results.

And your worst?

I made a bad investment eight years ago, when I invested in stocks and shares and lost £250,000. It was stressful and I didn’t know what to do.

I had money in property but that took up pretty much all of my cash. It was a difficult time and I had to start again and rebuild.

What is the students’ reaction when they meet their new speech coach?

Well, I haven’t done it for a while, which is purely down to my speech, which hasn’t been up to scratch.

But I’ve instructed 11 courses now and the response is great. I do a lot for stammering by heightening awareness of it. I guess I give them something to aspire to, although when they meet me initially it tends to make their stammer worse!

My journey is probably the most publicised journey of all stammerers. Whenever I see improvements in others, I find it massively rewarding.

There’s no greater personal achievement than heightening awareness and helping stammerers gain some level of control.

What has been your most lucrative work?

I’m fortunate that I make a good living from performing. I’m in Footloose right now and I do my own gigs that bring in lots of money.

However, the industry isn’t what it was, and it’s been quite some time since I’ve been in the charts, so recently I decided to put more effort into business.

I’ve created the world’s first range of coconut teas, Cuppanut, and my life for the past six months has been real hard labour.

We’ve just signed a huge deal with the UK’s biggest health food store. We’re hoping for repeat orders, and we want to take this worldwide.

If I’m honest, I’m slightly strapped for cash because I’ve invested a lot, but I’m hoping the return will be quite significant. The tea will make even more than record sales.

You parted ways with Syco Records, Simon Cowell’s joint venture with Sony, in 2006, which sounds highly risky. Was it a hard decision?

It was a joint decision. We decided that they couldn’t go forward with me with the music and the way I wanted to continue my career.

It was totally amicable. I think Simon Cowell’s great, and an incredible businessman, and I appreciate him more than ever now that I’m in the world of business.

Many talent show winners get dumped within a year. What’s your secret?

I think it’s my work ethic. I’ve never shied away from working hard, and if you strive to make more out of your life than what’s been given, or take whatever crops up, you’ve given yourself the best chance.

What do you spend money on for fun?

I own a third of my racehorse, Bunbury, with a friend. I love the sport and owning a racehorse has always been a dream of mine.

My trainer is Richard Hughes, who is a legend in sport, so I’m in good hands. To rub shoulders with him and speak on a daily basis is thrilling. We’re hoping for great things and I’m massively excited, but who knows what will happen.

I am always looking for different opportunities to invest in and things to do. My brain’s always on the go – I can’t switch it off and now I’m no longer out in bars after shows on the road, I’ve got so much more time and energy to concentrate on business ideas.

How do you pay: cash, debit card or credit card?

Always debit card; I don’t have a credit card. I never have cash on me. I don’t like carrying things, so I just stuff my debit card in my pocket and off I go.

I lose it all the time and have to cancel it about once a month and my poor dad has to get me a new one. He looks after all my money because I’m constantly on the road and don’t have time to do it.

When was the last time you spent £1,000?

I’ve invested thousands into this tea business, and that’s all I can afford at the moment. I’m stupidly busy.

What’s the most pop starry thing you have ever done?

I took my whole family on holiday to Ibiza for my 30th birthday. My friends also came – there were 30 of us in total.

We hired a huge villa with a pool and partied for a week. It was pretty expensive but you only turn 30 once, and my family and friends are the most important thing in my life, so I wanted them all celebrating with me.

Does money make you happy?

Money per se doesn’t make you happy. I think there are lots more fundamental things in life to make you happy, such as family and friends. I strive for success and to be the best in whatever area I’m in, so if money comes with that, brilliant. Otherwise I’m happy either way.

Gareth Gates stars in Footloose: The Musical, on tour until October. Visit footloose-musical.com. Tweet Gareth @Gareth_Gates

Thank you for posting all this up Val :) I agree on don't give up the singing, I think he will always do theatre and gigs, he deserves to be in the charts compared to half the rubbish that's about these days, like he says the industry has changed so much so the theatre, gigs and businesses will do better for him like he says but hope we get a new album from him sometime in the nextfew years.

I just phoned the shop in Bath asking if Gareth will come in today, I think we might try to get there. Mind Bath is murder to park, we normally avoid it completely (don't shop there at all), and only go to the hospital (when we need to) . But if we do go, I try to get some photos. :)

We just got back from Bath, the town is full of people, not used to so many any more, lol

Was very difficult parking and got to the shop 15 min past 3 pm, no sign of Gareth, so I asked and was told he is on his way. There was a little stand in the middle of the shop with all the Cuppanut already brewed in the 3 pots and Faye's sister saying that Gareth is also finding it hard to park and he be there shortly. So had a little chat with her, she is really nice and then Gareth come into the shops by himself. He was lovely as always, only 1 other woman there to taste at that time and we had a nice little chat. He told me that Faye was on her way to London. I did say: you saw Val yesterday and he replied, yes it was nice to see her. :) He also said how nice it was for all the fans to have gone up to Bradford .

I quite like the pink tea, hubby thought the yellow one was an unusual taste so we bought both packets which Gareth signed. Have to say they should have had a poster in the window, all these lots of people in town and no one knew he was there.

I got a pic to show you but don't see how I can post it.

That's lovely Khelda. Thanks for telling us about the tastings. So pleased you managed to get there. Pity as you say that it wasn't advertised a bit better.

That was nice of you to mention me to Gareth and how lovely of him to say how pleased he was that we all went to Bradford to see him. Such a lovely, polite guy and so grateful for everything.

Did you not try the Coconut tea? I find that one most refreshing of the three.

I hope you manage to get your picture on here. Would love to see it.

Great that you went for Gareth's cuppanut tasting event Khelda , it's a shame it wasn't well publicised . I bet it's a long time since you had chance of a chat with Gareth . I love all 3 drinks , the coconut is my favourite , but I usually drink them in rotation . My daughter tells me Harrogate have them stocked, they are in front of the door when you go in . I'll get mine there later next week when I'm visiting Harrogate ,I don't think my nearest stores at Halifax and Huddersfield stock it .

Thanks Val and Heather, it actually has been lots of years since I had a chat with Gareth, even though I seen him in Footloose in Bournemouth we did not stay after the show.

I tried the pink one and the white one, but to be honest I am not sure its my thing, I let hubby drink the ones I bought. :)

I really only drink coffee or water. :)

So lovely you got to meet Gareth again Khelda (and our first report from Holland & Barrett).

Love the photo too.

I would have thought an advertisement in the window that Gareth was coming in would have attracted lots of people. There again that is down to Holland & Barrett to arrange.

Glad you have tried the coconut tea too.

Guest NicolaJayne

Love your pic Inge and thank you to Val for posting it up.

What a shame though that it wasn't better advertised, as I am sure, lots of people would have been there if they had known about it.

• eternal changed the title to Gareth launches Cuppanut Tea