The last night of Footloose

Guest NicolaJayne

Guest NicolaJayne

I hadn't been to see the show since July in Woking and didn't realise when I booked this one that it was the last night. 

Went with Linda and we arrived in plenty of time as Milton Keynes is a dreadful place to drive around and find a car park convenient for the theatre and not too expensive.when we eventually got parked we found a McDonalds   Always a favourite before seeing Gareth.

we decided to go round the stage door and were told Gareth had gone out for food, so decided to wait and hopefully. Have a quick pic as he went in. Not a good idea as it was very cold and after waiting an hour till 7 00pm we decided to go in as the show started at 7 30pm. Saw Gill as soon as we got there and went in the ladies, when we came out we saw Lindajan who told us Gareth had just sneaked through the foyer unrecognised, so we just missed him. 

Time to take our seats saw Sharon and Caitlin also on the front row and luckily Gill was sitting right next to us. The theatre was very full and I didnt see any spare seats.

i had a feeling this show was going to be very special, and it was. This very vibrant show was even more so this time and Gareths one song "Mamma Says"was amazing and had me in stitches. Before it was a shortened version but this one just went on and on and I loved it. Gareth even went off stage and then came back and sang more of it

The reverend was played by a different actor, but much preferred the first original one and the reverends daughters boyfriend before Ren was also played by a different actor.

Gareths character was even funnier and I never thought that could have been possible.but he put everything he had got into that last show and there was only one word to describe it FANTASTIC. I always think he cant get any better but then he does unbelievably.

Everyone was on their feet at the end and shouting for more. It finished all too soon. 

We went round to the stage door after the show and couldn't believe how many people were already waiting. Gareth came out very quickly, I think he wanted to get off home as when I asked him where Faye was he said at home. But he saw everyone first and all got a pic with him, so went home happy. I think there was a party after as only Gareth and a couple of others came out. But Gareth just wanted to be with the love of his life and who could blame him. 

Can't wait to find out what exciting things Gareth has lined up for us next year.  

It was nice to see Gill and Lindajan again and also Caitlin and Sharon. Saw Kimberley and her husband outside after but didn't get a chance to speak to them.

Here is my pic with Gareth. 

Second pic is better, as its not so close up, thank you to Dave, Gills partner. W

IMG_1726.JPG

IMG_1730.JPG

Val, I think you've misunderstood. Luke Baker played Ren all week at Milton Keynes. It was Chuck who is now played by Tom Hier rather than Matthew Tomlinson, who left after Leicester - Tom is good in the role although doesn't quite look the part as he is blonde (only really because I've seen Matthew in the role). Nigel Lister left a few weeks ago and was replaced by David J Higgins (I think) - again he didn't look quite right in the part but I preferred his singing voice.

Thanks for your report, Elaine, and it was lovely to see you again too.

Gareth was flawless as Willard and, although I loved his performance from the very first time, I do think that he grew into the role and added a few subtle touches, especially in his interactions with other cast members. His rendition of Mama Says is brilliant - it really is one of the stand-out performances in the show, Gareth always manages to bring that extra something special to whatever he sings. (I never saw a shortened version of it at any of the shows I saw.)

There were many more people at the stage door than at other shows, probably because it was a Saturday and, of course, the final show. Gareth said that he was exhausted and was obviously longing to get home to Faye but he stayed to have photos, sign autographs and chat until everyone had had their chance.

The stalls were almost completely full, hardly any seats when I booked at 2pm - think there were some seats in the upper tiers though. Before the show I was sitting in the foyer and happened to notice Gareth creeping through - hoodie up, head down, on his phone - as he went across to the ticket desk. It was obvious that he didn't want to be recognised so I just watched and really don't think anyone else noticed him!

(BTW Elaine, if you go past the multi-storey car park next to the stage door and cross over the road (Aylesbury Boulevard, I think), you can park in the purple zone for 50p per hour up to 6pm, then free. I only paid £2.50 on Wednesday (parked just after 1pm until nearly 11pm) and 50p on Saturday as I arrived just after 5pm.)

You're right Linda, I misread it!  I agree with you, being blonde he didn't really look rugged enough to be so nasty. Quite odd that some people have left so close to the end of the run but at least it means more actors get chance to play in good theatres.