Footloose Tour 2017 reviews

eternal

A fab review in from Coventry 5*****

https://breakaleg.biz/2017/06/14/footloose-belgrade-theatre-coventry/

Footloose as an individual track is a tune I have been familiar with and known the words to since I can remember. Footloose as a show with a full range of foot-tapping musical numbers (which I could now listen to on repeat) I was not at all familiar with, however the incarnation of the show which is currently playing at Coventry Belgrade Theatre, is now rooted as a firm favourite. Not least because this version is an actor/musician production which is no mean feat.

Popular hits such as Let’s Hear It For The Boy, Holding Out For a Hero and Almost Paradise filled the auditorium and naturally, the title track had the place rocking. A personal highlight was Somebody’s Eyes which was a haunting yet catchy recurring theme and I have to give a mention to Learning To Be Silent as the harmonies were spectacular (kudos to Maureen Nolan, Lindsay Goodhand and Hannah Price).

The story is straight forward, teenage lad’s father does a runner, leaving him and his mum in the lurch. They move in with a kind uncle who lives in a small town with ridiculous rules. No dancing being one of the outlandish regulations. The tragic reason behind the town’s strict defences? A fatal car accident which resulted in the deaths of four youths, one of whom is significant to the plot. A Preacher is at the centre of the town’s inflexibility, and his wayward daughter is desperate to get out and rebel.

Joshua Dowen as the iconic character (and young new boy in town who wants to challenge the no dancing rule) Ren McCormack, blew Kevin Bacon’s performance out of the water. A more versatile performer at the helm I couldn’t have imagined, he completely made the role his own. Hannah Price as Ariel Moore (the Preacher’s trouble-seeking daughter) was a superb match for him and I was impressed with her seamless interchanges between instruments and the heart of the action. Gareth Gates was a revelation as Willard, for more reasons than one! I expected an amazing vocal performance from him, however as an actor he surpassed himself. His characterisation was nothing short of incredible. Maureen Nolan is another performer whom I had preconceived ideas about, Vi (Ariel’s mum) was a perfect fit for Nolan and her vocal ability remains incomparable. Reuven Gershon gave a strong and extremely notable performance as Rev Shaw Moore, his solo performance in act two was another highlight. I am also delighted to have been introduced to the extraordinary talent of Lindsay Goodhand. Not only did she take on three very different roles (Ethel McCormack, Betty and Coach Dunbar) and play each one brilliantly, but I was blown away with her singing voice. When she wasn’t acting, singing or roller skating(!) she had an instrument to play.

footloose-17-683x1024.jpg?w=200&h=300

The set was multi-purpose and lent itself to the instruments that were an integral part of the scenery. The few scene changes required were seamless and there were a few hidden surprises too.

An audience collectively on their feet and boogeying as one to a finale mash-up, coupled with whoops, cheers and my own personal feeling that I could watch it again, again and again – is a winning combination. I needed more than one pair of eyes to watch this energetic and stellar cast giving one of the most joyous theatrical experiences. Don’t miss this show, it’s the ultimate feel-good musical and you won’t be able to stop smiling!

Two brilliant reviews, I totally agree that the changes to the show this year have improved it considerably and made the show a lot tighter and more fun. So pleased that everyone is recognising Gareth's acting and comedy skills - hoping to see more of these in the future.

Just found this review of Footloose at Coventry:

http://www.behindthearras.com/Reviewspr/2017/reviewsPROAprJun2017/footloose-review-coventry-CB06-17.html

There are some annoying inaccuracies and a few strange comments (how old did the reviewer think that Ethel's brother, Wes, should be?), but his review of Gareth is very honest and incredibly flattering.

But Footloose really belong s to just one actor: Gareth Gates, as the friendly, shy, loopy, confused, bumbling – but capable of moments of genius – Willard. This is a character straight out of Tennesee Williams, Miller or Albee. Librettist (and lyricist) Dean Pitchford has penned this part really well, it has depth and poignancy and an unexpected kind of wisdom. It’s as if Gates has turned his well-known stutter, evident at his Pop Idol near-win (season 2001-2), and built a complete character from those embarrassing limitations. He is acutely funny, yet deeply tragic. Utterly loyal, but striving manfully to make a personality for himself, eager for sex but no idea how to find it (unless by himself), getting taken short and rushing off clutching his crutch, and to be a fellow-battler for the freedom Ren and the others are fighting for.

Willard is a scrumptiously entertaining, gorgeously well-performed, beautifully conceived character. His moves alone – wobbling, hesitant, tentative, or alternatively scuttling and hurtling in steps as shy as he is, often enough stiff and invariably awkward – merited an Oscar. On this basis alone, Gates could transfer to the Royal Shakespeare Company tomorrow. Given we know he’s got a gorgeous singing voice (though here that’s not up front), and can act spontaneously and electrifyingly (given his famous Joseph in the Lloyd Webber Dreamcoat), it’s difficult , as so often, to know what exactly we owe to Racky Plews’ direction, on his one-on-one sessions with his actors, and how much is generated, invented, by them themselves.

This astonishing, mind-blowingly clever creation looks to have come largely from Gates himself. One thing that impresses, mightily, is how modest an on stage performer he proves. For not a second does he steal, or impinge on, anyone else’s scene, or lines, or vocals. Much of the time he hovers modestly in the background, then out of the blue emerges to do a shaky, then ecstatic solo dance, or a hilarious strip-down to blissfully shabby hot pants (think of Rhys Ifan’s Spike in Notting Hill). Gates is something very special indeed: he digs into his own interior, assimilates it, and comes up with pure gold.

It’s worth making a beeline for Footloose for Gareth Gates’s performance alone, though also for Sillett’s, and perhaps Fraser’s too.

Not sure he has interpreted some parts of Gareth's role in the way that I did (and it's a shame that he doesn't know that Racky Plews is female) but it's good to read a reviewer being completely blown away by Gareth's performance. Bring on the Oscar! Pleased to see that he recognises Gareth to be an extremely selfless actor - he has his moments to shine but otherwise helps others to show themselves to their full potential. I know that he only has the one solo number (Mama Says), but it would have been lovely to hear a description of Gareth's voice and his sheer stage presence when performing it (can't have it all, I suppose).

Generally, though, an excellent review.

That's a fabulous review Linda. 

It certainly is in depth about the whole show but she does go far and beyond with her review of Gareh.

This is the bit I particularly like

One thing that impresses, mightily, is how modest an on stage performer he proves. For not a second does he steal, or impinge on, anyone else’s scene, or lines, or vocals. Much of the time he hovers modestly in the background,

Nor does Gareth try to steal anyone's thunder in the closing songs either. He salutes everyone before he himself is saluted (with his very quickly letting Ren take the cheers).

Interesting what the reviewer has to say about the programme too with no cast list.

Thanks for posting it. Was a delight to read.

Guest NicolaJayne

A fabulous review linda, hope this is the one I saw the tweet for on twitter as I couldn't find another. Not back in the swing of things as still feeling ill.and got lots of appointments and blood tests , when will it end.

Had seen that you've not been well, Elaine. Hope that there will be an improvement soon.

This was an excellent review from a professional reviewer, who has recognised Gareth's many skills and not been reserved in talking about them. However it was my report about the shows at Buxton and Coventry that I tweeted about. You'll find it in this strand here:

Hope you enjoy it.

• 1 month later...
Guest NicolaJayne

Had to give the show a miss at Richmond as l was ill, so not seen it this year yet. Booked for the Peacock in London, so hoping to have better luck and see it then. 

A mixed (and roughly translated) review from Belgium  https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=http://www.concertnews.be/&prev=search

Another Belgium review (once again translated) talks of Gareth standing out from the ensemble  https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.journal.lu/article/tanzen-verboten/&prev=search

• 2 weeks later...

A review from Preston

http://northwestend.co.uk/index.php/professional-reviews/lancashire/2287-footloose-charter-theatre-preston

Who would have thought that Gates could be such a great comedic actor, he brings a light hearted, slightly sassy character to life and has the audience loving him even before the big 'reveal'! Hard to imagine that several of this evening’s members of the audience would not even have been around when he first shot to fame in 2002 as runner up in Pop Idol, oh how that boy has grown up!  His courtship of Rusty brings many funny moments and he gives a great rendition of 'Momma Says'. Sillet is fantastic as Rusty and there is great timing and chemistry between her and Gates. Dowen and Price equally own their characters and give amazing performances.

• 4 weeks later...

A couple (or more) of reviews are in from London

https://theatreweekly.com/review-footloose-the-musical-uk-tour/

Gareth Gates does well to pull off the slightly over-the-top Willard, but it’s when he sings that you really get to see him flourish.  Gates and Dowen have a strong chemistry together which helps cement the unlikely friendship element of the storyline.

https://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/arts/footloose-dance-review-sizzling-footstamper-brings-home-the-bacon-a3634551.html

http://www.gaytimes.co.uk/culture/86645/footloose-is-a-fun-reimagining-of-the-1980s-classic-review/

Would be interested to know the remainder of this review https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/theatre-review-footloose-the-musical-at-the-peacock-theatre-wc2-5rdfcrt76 Is anyone registered to receive this?

• 3 weeks later...

As Gareth finishes his 3 week run at the Peacock Theatre in the West End we find a review that says it al :)l:

https://www.carnstheatrepassion.com/review-footloose-musical/

Standout Performance?

But the standout performance of the night is from Gareth Gates. Having risen to fame by being a finalist in the very first Pop Idol talent show on television, in 2002, he has become a seasoned actor, singer, dancer and musician. He brings a much-needed comedy to the piece – amongst the rather worthy youngsters – and makes a jaw-dropping transformation from overalls-wearing, toothpick chewing village idiot, Willard, into a bare-chested, shades-wearing hunk all torso-twisting with glistening skin and knowing smiles. The audience clearly approved, bringing uproar to the theatre. And his character continued his development by emerging from simple soul to thoughtful contributor to the bid to reinstate dancing in Bowood. The scene where he ‘learns’ to dance, is comedy and theatre gold.

Couldn't leave without including this one too:)
http://thelivereview.co.uk/2017/09/16/footloose-tour-review-london/

Now we all know Gareth Gates from Pop Idol, so we knew he could sing but could he act? Having been the first time we have seen him we thought he was utterly superb. I had wanted to tone down the praise for Gareth knowing he was one of the better known names and wished to credit the incredible cast that he works with however his Portayal of Willard was both fantastic and had me constantly laughing. He was certainly the best Robin this Batman could have! His portrayal of this slightly slow on the ball kid kept us on fits of laughter whether it was him telling us all about life lessons his mum had told him, the fact he always wanted a fight and the need to be advised on his love life approaches to Rusty.

Thanks Chris for those brilliant reviews, especially the first one!  Gareth makes this show as far as I'm concerned and having seen Willard played by the understudy in Blackpool, it's obvious how skilled Gareth is not only his singing, his acting but his ability to be a comedian as well, he makes it look effortless which it's not.

• 1 month later...

This is a cracking review for Gareth:

http://www.liverpoolsoundandvision.co.uk/2017/11/01/footloose-the-musical-theatre-review-royal-court-liverpool/

Gareth Gates has come a long way since Pop Idol, but what he has gained over the intervening years is a huge appreciation for his work ethic. Already one who could be seen as being skilful in the path set before him, his sense of flawless flirting, the dynamic rhythm and generosity to other’s performances stands him out as one to watch on stage; especially in something such as Footloose: The Musical where his many talents, timing, singing and dancing, are all on show.