Footloose Tour Buxton and Coventry 2017

lindajan

Having been to two shows at Buxton two weeks ago and both shows at Coventry yesterday, I thought it was about time that I shared by thoughts about this year's Footloose tour.

Before seeing the shows I was wondering if they had managed to find an almost completely new cast that were anywhere near as talented as last year's cast, which I thought were superb – I needn't have worried. The performers are easily as good as last year and after yesterday's shows I think they help make it even better, along with a few tweaks to the format and staging.

All the performances I've seen have been excellent. The matinee in Buxton was well attended, being half term, and unusually it was the evening show that had the smaller audience. Yesterday I think that the somewhat sparse audience at the matinee made a good job of getting involved but – wow! – the evening was absolutely rocking and the energy on stage was electric (and this was when the cast had performed twice in one day, what a difference a much fuller theatre makes!).

So what has made the difference? First of all there are staging changes to many of the scenes, either by altering the position and interaction of the characters or by actual set changes – the most memorable of which is the scene where Ariel reveals her poetry wall to Ren when they sing 'Almost Paradise', this is now close to the front of the stage. Also the occasional scene has been deleted/changed for something different, which probably makes more sense in a theatre setting and makes everything more slick. The evening show at Coventry started slightly after the billed time of 7.45pm and ended at 10.22pm – perhaps slightly shorter than last year but by no more than ten minutes. However the most telling changes are the ways in which this new cast have interpreted their roles. They have all contributed so I'll try to mention everyone.

Joshua Dowen as Ren McCormack brings everything required to this role. He is angry, driven, full of energy, compassionate and humble as the show unfolds. He truly 'can't stand still' and he acts, sings and dances his socks off! Ariel Moore is played by Hannah Price (one of the few members of last year's cast returning to her role). She has grown into the part: she interacts well with Chuck showing her rebellious side but in the end not standing for his treatment of her; with her parents trying to be the dutiful daughter but always pushing against her father's control; with her girlfriends as their leader and the most ambitious of them; and with Ren where her relationship develops from almost disinterest in the newcomer, to friend and confidante, and finally to love. She also has a beautiful singing voice which she manages to adapt to the various emotions in songs such as 'Learning To Be Silent', 'Holding Out For A Hero' and 'Almost Paradise'.

The preacher, Rev Shaw Moore, is played brilliantly by Reuven Gershon (my favourite Rev so far). He really makes this character come to life. He is dominant in his control of the town but conflicted by his lack of control over Ariel. His powerful and rich singing voice easily conveys the feelings evoked by his songs. Another returner is Maureen Nolan as Vi Moore and Principal Clark. Her voice seems stronger this year and she has an excellent relationship with her husband and daughter, trying to keep the peace between them. Vi's "He was my son too!" in response to the Rev's claim that he lost his son sends chills down my spine every time (no matter how much I anticipate it). By the end she is totally strutting her stuff in the megamix, seeming to be having loads of fun.

The three roles of Ethel McCormack, Betty and Coach Dunbar (and various instruments) are all played superbly by Lindsay Goodhand. She manages to portray each character so differently, by changes to voice, mannerisms and physical presence, that it's hard to believe they are all acted by the same person. Connor Going as Chuck has taken me a few shows to decide about but after yesterday I'm convinced by his portrayal of the character. He is menacing and arrogant – a nasty piece of work – who then plays the piano and keyboards with feeling and dexterity.

Ariel's three friends are performed by Laura Sillett (Rusty), Emma Fraser (Wendy-Jo) and Gracie Lai (Urleen). As a group they complement and fire off each other extremely well. Laura (a blonde with dyed red hair to live up to her name) plays her part in the manic manner required, she has an excellent singing voice particularly evident in the haunting 'Somebody's Eyes' and the powerful 'Let's Hear It For The Boy'. Her interactions with Willard (more about him later) are sometimes blatant but often just a small gesture – perhaps a poke or flick, even sticking out her tongue, that you need to watch for to notice. Emma is a revelation in and perfect fit for her part, she really brings out the humour in the role, frequently producing giggles from the audience, often by doing little more than grunting – facial expressions can say everything. Gracie is full of energy, bringing great enthusiasm to her role whether acting, singing, dancing or playing her instruments.

Dominic Gee Burch (Jeter) and Tomas Wolstenhome (Bickle/Cowboy Bob) may be supporting characters but they certainly make their presence felt when on stage. They both manage to emphasise their parts and bring out the fun in the roles. Alex Marshall and Lauren Storer were both members of the cast last year. Alex still plays Wes (Ethel's brother) but also a multitude of other characters, often playing some instrument, throughout the show. The contribution made by Lauren is huge and has developed since 2016. She plays a plethora of different instruments and numerous roles, all with great skill.

Last but certainly not least, Gareth continues to play Willard and he steals the show (but then again perhaps I'm biased!). His was the name I heard mentioned around me the most and one lady leaving last night kept saying, “When did Gareth Gates get so fit? Who knew? I'm going home happy.” Gareth lights up the stage as soon as he steps on it. Whether he is shuffling around, playing the shy, awkward version of Willard (who seems a little less dumb this year) or learning to dance (he may protest that he is an awful dancer but he does have natural rhythm so moving against the timing must be so hard), he pulls it all off with aplomb. Of course, once he 'learns' to dance he becomes very accomplished and holds his own among a very talented cast. His entire performance of 'Mama Says' is a stand-out moment; his voice is back to the strong, rich sound we love and the entire choreography of the scene, including the other lads, is brilliant. Interactions with Ren and Rusty are superb – his eventual kiss with Rusty evoking an appreciative 'Aahh' from the audience as does a similar instance between Ren and Ariel. There are a few more suggestive, slightly risqué, moments during his performance than last year. Oh, and of course, he gets stripped down to his tiny sparkly shorts and cowboy boots, accompanied by hoots and cheers from the audience. His stage presence is phenomenal and he seems to delight in being up there doing what he does best. He definitely shows off another set of talents in playing a comedic role. Gareth continues to play guitar and keyboards but there is also a short piece on the piano during 'Somebody's Eyes'.

There is no weak link in the entire cast. They all act, sing, dance and play instruments to an exceptional standard, and flawlessly manage to move from one to another or even do all at the same time. Everyone behind scenes must also be congratulated for their part in the success of the show, this includes the director, choreographer, designer, sound and lighting engineers, musical supervisor, musical director, casting director, production manger and numerous producers.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my visits to see Footloose this year. The changes, both in cast and staging, improve the show and keep it fresh and vibrant for someone who has seen it rather a lot of times! Well done to everyone involved.

Linda you need to give up your day job! Surely a theatre critic appointment awaits?

How do u manage to notice/ remember all the changes?

These are my few thoughts.

Such changes have certainly made the production better ( even though I thought it great before).

I definitely preferred Joshua Dowen as Ren. Whilst I didnt think he had quite as strong a voice ás Luke Baker, he was a softer Ren but clearly as energetic. 

Bringing the poetry wall forward and more prominent sure does make more of an impact to the story.  

The biggest change to the production for me was Reverend Moore. This new guy seems more assured/ definite.

Have to agree with you about Maureen Nolan' voice. It definitely seems stronger. 

Ethel MCormack was the only one change I wasnt sure about. She was incredible to play 3 different roles but she just didnt look old enough to be Ren's mother. 

I loved the new Chuck. He was more agressive in the part oh and any girl would fall for him! What talent too!

Emma Fraser playing Wendy Jo was amazing. She was one of those actresses that stood out from the rest of the girls. 

That Willard was ok !! Not acting quite so dumb/silly ( not sure of the correct word without offending anyone) was certainly better. His voice was much richer too. 

That song Somebody'Eyes mesmorises me! 

Thanks for a fabulous detailed review Linda, that am sure everyone has loved reading and/or encouraged to go and see more Footloose.

It has certainly encouraged me! 

Loved reading your report Linda. Saw Footloose in Bridlington at the start of 2016 and me and my husband enjoyed it so much. I have seen clips of the new touring version and can spot a few changes. So glad it is doing well and getting such good reviews.

Guest NicolaJayne

Fantastic in depth report of the show Linda, so pleased I found it at last, I have not seen the show this year as I had to cancel due to illness. But I am booked to see it at the Peacock theatre so hopefully will have better luck then. Sounds like they have made quite a few changes, but can't see how Gareth's performance could be improved on