Gareth presenting show on Radio Leeds 28/8/17

Yorksheather

• 2 weeks later...

This is a nice Good Luck for Gareth:

https://www.prolificnorth.co.uk/2017/08/the-wrap-nina-webb-ceo-brazen/

Good on Gareth Gates for getting his own show on BBC Radio Leeds. We’ve just worked with Smooth Radio to celebrate its RAJAR figures and know what a tough market it is. These days millennials prefer streaming music, and Gareth’s definitely got the X-factor needed to appeal to an older listener. As a friend of Brazen, he’s one of the nicest guys in showbiz, and we wish him lots of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

This was an amazing show with Gareth's (and Chris's) speech sounding great. (It must have been pre-recorded as, of course, Gareth is on holiday with his family in Marbella now.) It was lovely to hear Gareth reminiscing about his musical influences and having met some of his idols. These are the songs that were played:

Anyone Of Us - Gareth Gates
Red Red Wine - UB40
Suspicious Minds - Elvis Presley
Unchained Melody - Righteous Brothers
Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough - Michael Jackson
These Are The Days Of Our Lives - Queen
Careless Whisper - George Michael
Ashes To Ashes - David Bowie
Band Of Gold - Freda Payne
Let Me Entertain You - Robbie Williams
Always - Bon Jovi
The Promise - Girls Aloud (Kimberley Walsh from Bradford)
Flying Without Wings - Westlife
Don't Go Breaking My Heart - Elton John & Kiki Dee (Kiki from Bradford)
Say You'll Be There - Spice Girls (19 Management as was Gareth
Tainted Love - Soft Cell (from Leeds)

Gareth talked very fluently about why these songs and artists mean something to him. His comments also showed that he understands what music is all about.

The programme is now available on Catch-up on BBC Radio Leeds. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05cbvmt

Just caught up with the program. Enjoyed it very much. Gareth played lots of my favourite songs which was nice. Thought his speech was the best I've ever heard it and he had a great rapport with Chris. Loved what Chris said about Gareth not letting his stammer get in the way of what he wanted to achieve. Thought that was really lovely. 

I really, really enjoyed the programme. Think I leaned more about Gareth in 2hours than in the whole of the time following him. I agree Val it was the best I have ever heard Gareth's speech too. He was in control wasn't he,  because he wasn't being asked the questions.

He has done many things and met lots of people in the industry but still remains humble.

Thanks Linda for posting Gareth's choice of music. I missed a couple so know can always rely on you to always post a complete list. 

I loved him telling the tale of why each track was important to him. The story of his dad being from Birmingham (and I am sure I heard Gareth do a Brummie accent whilst telling the tale) and loving UB40 and how Gareth go to jam with them on their tour bus.

The story of Gareth having lunch with George Micheal and George sending him a bottle of ? (I missed the name) for beating him in the charts. " The true gent he was" said Gareth of George.

I missed the reason for Robbie Williams and Fred Payne Band of Gold. Does anyone know them please?

If I remember correctly, he included Robbie because he thinks he is such a good stage performer (he actually said that Robbie doesn't have the best voice in the world). Gareth has been impressed by performers who 'put on a good show' and made the decision that he wanted to try to be like them when he performs - I think we'd all agree that he achieves that ambition whenever he's on stage with his amazing charisma.

From his early choices of songs, Gareth commented that his dad's musical preferences were for British artists. However his dad did have a tape (yes, we are back at a time before CDs) of American motown(?) music that he played in the car. 'Band Of Gold' by Freda Payne was the track that Gareth was particularly attracted to and kept asking to be replayed.

Gareth's speech was excellent - as you say, Chris, he was in control and can always talk more fluently when he's deciding what to say, rather than responding to questions. Of course, we don't know how long the programme took to record and whether there were any bad spells that got edited out. I, too, loved what Chris said about Gareth not letting his stammer hold him back - a touching moment.

A super show which allowed Gareth to talk about things in a way that he never has before. It also showed him to be very knowledgeable about music.

Thanks for those details.

Interesting about his dad liking American Motown (waves to Gareth's dad because it is my all time favourite music). Band of Gold would of course been a very popular track (and still is at a lot of weddings).

My children always moaned about my husband playing his music in the car when they were little (an awful lot of Van Morrison) but guess what music they like now? It just shows how influential our music listening has as we are growing up and very evident Gareth's influence from his dad's music listening.

I too loved the moment when Chris praised Gareth. The way it was both given and received was very special. It spoke of a very special relationship between Gareth and Chris.

Yes the show most definitely showed Gareth's knowledge of music.

I want more of the same!

I listened to Gareth's show on Radio Leeds on catch up yesterday . I really enjoyed it , I don't know what I was expecting but it was much better than what I was expecting that's for sure , it was great and I'll listen again while it's still available . I liked Chris's input too , he and Gareth went well together for the show  :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NicolaJayne

Thank you for the link to catch-up of the Radio Leeds programme Linda. I like Heather only got round to listening to it yesterday as I have been away. I was very impressed with Gareth's style of presenting and also have to agree that his speech was the best I have ever heard him. I also learned a lot about Gareth that I didn't know before and loved his choice in music and reasons for his choices of songs. 

I also thought he was a natural and think we will be hearing more of Gareth DJ Ing on the radio. He seemed very  relaxed and to be really enjoying it, but then he has done DJing before quite a few times in various clubs so perhaps he is quite used to it now.

Guest NicolaJayne

I also liked the way he included lots of singers  from Bradford and had forgot just how many there are, it was nice to be reminded.

a lot of talent has come out of  Bradford over the years.