Gareth is to Star as Joseph in his West End Debut

Yorksheather

It has been confirmed that Gareth is to take over from Lee Mead and as Joseph , in Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dream coat. I am so pleased for Gareth :hyper:

Figaro has confirmed the news on Gareth's OS :smile:

LEE MEAD HANDS HIS DREAMCOAT TO GARETH GATES

GARETH GATES WILL MAKE HIS WEST END DEBUT STARRING AS ‘JOSEPH’ IN

THE TIM RICE AND ANDREW LLOYD WEBBER MUSICAL

“JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT”

AT THE ADELPHI THEATRE

FROM 9 FEBRUARY 2009

From 9 February 2009, Gareth Gates will make his West End stage debut starring as ‘Joseph’ in the smash hit production of the Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber musical “JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT” at the Adelphi Theatre in London. Lee Mead leaves the show on Saturday 10 January.

Gareth Gates became Head Chorister at Bradford Cathedral when he was eleven years old, and he sang for the Queen at the age of 13. Gareth was runner-up in the first ever Pop Idol in 2002. He has since had four number one singles and sold 3.5 million records to date. Earlier this year, Gareth appeared in ITV1’s “Dancing on Ice” and went on to participate in the “Dancing on Ice” UK Tour. More recently, he performed in “A Spoonful of Stiles & Drewe”, a charity gala celebrating the 25-year writing partnership of George Stiles and Anthony Drewe. Gareth is about to open in “Cinderella” at the Wimbledon Theatre, starring as ‘Prince Charming’ opposite Joanna Page and Alistair McGowan.

Gareth says of his West End debut: “I have a lot to thank “JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT” for as it is the reason I first started singing, after being chosen to play the lead in a school production when I was eight years old. Ever since then it’s been a dream of mine to appear in a West End musical. I am really honoured to be appearing at the Adelphi, stepping into that famous coat and really can’t wait to get stuck in!”

With lyrics by Tim Rice and music by Andrew Lloyd Webber, this new staging of the record-breaking 1990’s London Palladium production, which was directed by Steven Pimlott, is designed by Mark Thompson and choreographed by Anthony Van Laast. This colourful retelling of the biblical story of dreamboat Joseph and his uncanny abilities and that designer coat sings out to young and old alike, with a score which is wall-to-wall hits, including ‘Close Every Door’ and ‘Any Dream Will Do’.

“JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT” opened at the Adelphi Theatre on 17 July 2007 to rave reviews and sell-out business.

Evening performances of “JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT” at the Adelphi Theatre are at 7.30pm on Mondays & Wednesdays–Saturdays, 7.00pm on Tuesdays, and with matinees at 3.00pm on Wednesdays & Saturdays. Tickets, priced from £15.00-£45.00 for Monday–Thursday performances and £15.00-£49.50 for Friday–Saturday performances, are available from the Adelphi Theatre Box Office on 0870 895 5598 and online at http://www.josephthemusical.com.

Also here :smile:

http://www.whatsonstage.com/index.php?pg=2...t+from+Lee+Mead

The Really Useful Group site under News :smile:

http://www.reallyuseful.com/news/lee-mead-...o-gareth-gates..

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is fantastic news for us and Gareth, He will make a brilliant Joseph.Can't wait to see him in the West End,just been watching clips of the show, imagining Gareth playing the part. :thumbsup:

Thanks to everyone for the links,have enjoyed reading them. :grin:

Love this one. :thumbsup:

http://blogs.thestage.co.uk/newsblog/2008/...seph/index.html

You get the feeling, though, that rehearsing and performing the show will be a labour of love for Gareth, as — just like his predecessor Lee Mead — it was the first show he was ever involved in as a child, and in fact cites it as the moment he realised he could sing. He said today that “it is an honour to be asked to play this part” and visibly lit up when talking about putting the coat on for the first time — which, as was pretty clear, really was on stage just a few minutes earlier.

:heart:

This is amazing news, and I am very proud of Gareth! Thanks for all the links. Not one bad remark made about him for a change.

You might find it easier to watch on YouTube: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=V3oVkk0jYUc

It is a bit of a shame that today was one of his bad speech days, but it's brilliant that he has the confidence to do interviews when he is stammering, and it's such a fantastic example to others. I'm sure Gareth like others would love to be able to say exactly what they want without any hold-ups, but there isn't anything wrong with stammering either. He gets the message across. :laugh:

Congratulations to Gareth on getting the part of Joseph :frantics:

I switched on the TV and on the BBC London programme they had a lovely little interview with Gareth who was struggling a little with his speech but he looked so happy. They mentioned the fact that he had sold over 3.5 million singles in the UK as well which was good to remind people how successful he was as a pop singer.

They also asked about wearing the loincloth and Gareth said he would have to go the gym but looking at him in that tight t-shirt I don't think he needs to :smile:

I am really looking forward to seeing Gareth in Joseph.