Les Miserables , Lowry Theatre , Salford Quays

Lovely full page pic of Gareth as Marius ( climbing on the wall )on the front page of The Halifax Courier's The Guide , mentioning Les Mis at The Lowry , Salford Quays .

'Far from the Gates of pop ' Pop Idols Gareth Gates stars in Les Miserables - page 2 . Inside is another pic of Jon Robyns , John - Owen Jones and Gareth again, plus a pic of Rosalind James. Nice feature inside about Bradford's Gareth Gates who found fame in TV reality show Pop Idol , mentioning Joseph etc , that was a lovely surprise :thumbsup:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you to Heather for texting me and letting me know Gareth wasin tonight's Halifax Courier.

I'm not able to scan my copy as I don't have a scanner but I have typed up what the piece said:-

Share the magic of Les Misérables

One of the biggest musicals of all time opens in Manchester next week with Bradford's Gareth Gates, who found fame in TV reality show Pop Idol, in a starring role.

Les Misérables will be staged at the The Lowry, Salford Quays, from Tuesday until Saturday August 21.

Lowry spokeswomen Marie-Claire Daly says: "It's the first time producer Cameron Mackintosh has had a show at The Lowry and the exciting 25th anniversary production is on the public can't get enough of."

"Broadway and West End star John-Owen-Jones stars as Jean Valjean and Earl Carpenter, known from The Phantom and The Witches of Eastwick, stars as Javert.

"Gareth Gates, who plays the role of Marius, has played the title role in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat at the West End's Adelphi Theatre and was a semi-finalist in Dancing on Ice 2008."

The magnificent new production includes spectacular new designs inspired by the paintings of Victor Hugo and the world renowned score of Les Misérables including the song I Dreamed a Dream, which catapulted Susan Boyle in to international singing stardom.

Les Misérables originally opened in London at the Barbican Theatre in October 1985 and moved to its current home at the Queen's Theatre in April 2004 where it continues to play to packed houses.

When Les Misérables celebrated its 21st London birthday in October 2006, it became the world's longest running musical, surpassing the record previously held by Cats in London's West End.

Seen by over 56 million people worldwide in 42 countries and in 21 languages, Les Misérables is undisputedly one of the most popular musicals ever written, with new productions continually opening around the globe.

The production at The Lowry will be staged at 7:30pm every night (no show on Sunday August 15) with Saturday matinees at 2pm and further matinees on Thursday, August 12 and Wednesday, August 18. Box Office 0843 206005.

These are the pics that were used:-

39119_490250_gareth_gates_plays_marius.jpg

Far from the Gates of Pop: Pop Idol's Gareth Gates stars in Les Misérables

trio.jpg

(Sorry the pics are big not sure how to resize them)

Yes, Gareth was only off for one night. He was back for both shows on Saturday and on again last night.

This very sensible person saw him

Emmymcw @Gareth_Gates - Watched the show last night at The Lowry you were absolutely fantastic!! You are simply the best xx

about 7 hours ago via web

A friend of mine went to see the show last night having never seen it before - she rang me at 8.45am this morning to say 'I've got to see it again - it was amazing'!:thumbsup:

I was thrilled but told her that it's sold out but gave her the number for returns - hope she's lucky!:unsure:

I'm very relieved for you Jenjo. However, it is nice that Owain is getting to go on - I've noticed a few of the second understudies have been going on lately, and I wonder if it's a bit of a deliberate ploy late in the run to give them a chance. It's convenient for Gareth if he has other committments that night too, although I really hope that anyone going hoping to see Gareth finds out in advance. I'm sure they'll still see a fantastic show with Owain, but if they have a lot of travel and are really keen to see just Gareth, they'll have the chance of getting a refund - and making some other people very happy.

It is good to have it confirmed there is another press night tonight. I wasn't sure if they'd bother again for Manchester as they did it all last time, but it is probably a good opportunity to get more press in, and to plug the album this time. :thumbsup: