Loserville press night

Yorksheather

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NicolaJayne

I also love the latest review posted by Maria, there are lots of great reviews of this show, so it makes me so happy to be going.

Am loving reading all the great reviews of the show. Thanks for everyone who has bought them to us.

Everyone involved must be chuffed to bit at its great reception by the press. Such a venture must be very daunting but to be applauded lots.

Edits to say there is another review here :thumbsup:http://entertainment-focus.com/theatre/articles/loserville

I just noticed on Twitter that Andrew Edwards posted that he was going to review Loseville on his Drivetime prog which runs from 3.pm - 5pm on Radio Leeds . I went to look at the Radio Leeds live , and they were already discussing Loserville.Andrew Edwards was going on how Brilliant Gareth was when I tuned in . There was a lady reviewing the show, I didn't catch her name . She said she listened to Gareth on The Liz Green one to one interview with Gareth when he said he wanted to act and go on Broadway , and she said that she thought at the time 'I don't think so Gareth ' . Anyway , she said Gareth was brilliant , and that it was nice to see him not with the squeaky clean image from what he has been known for, and she thought 'Yes ' maybe we will see you on Broadway :)

She said there was a broad age range , and looking around everyone was enjoying it. She gave the show 9 .75 out of 10 .

Andrew Edwards say 's that it's a long time since he has raved about a show like this , and they heartily recommend it .

I think you may be able to listen later

http://www.bbc.co.uk...bbc_radio_leeds

Thanks Eternal, love that one too.

Arch himself, played by Gareth Gates, is perhaps one of the greatest pulls to this show. After a decade since Gates' breakthrough in Pop Idol, audiences will not be disappointed by his performance which is both refreshing and wonderfully tongue-in-cheek.

Guest NicolaJayne

Fantasic Heather that Loserville has got a review in the Times, this will give it publicity from a much wider audience.

Brilliant that you caught some of the BBC Leeds review Heather. I saw the tweet during the day, retweeted, then got utterly distracted by work and forgot entirely about it. It looks like it's available now. :D Starts at 12 minutes in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/p00tcg7g

There are some great things being said, and I agree with most of what the reviewers are saying. As a fan, I did think Gareth was "under-used" a bit in the show from a vocal point of view. He was well within his comfort zone, so didn't get to show off his abilities there.

However, the part wasn't written with the expectation Gareth would be doing it and what Gareth does do is brilliant. Gareth's singing is his strength and IMO it's his beautiful voice that makes him stand out from other, often very competent performers, so it's a great accolade that despite me personally wishing he'd done more singing, he is getting great feedback on a role that is heavily concentrated on dialogue and the physicality of acting. In fact, it may be because the singing was so far within his comfort zone that he and the audience were able to focus so much on the non-singing aspects of his performance. :D

Gates's star presence is also cleverly exploited for some of the show's better gags, and on the whole he is a winning performer, happily playing a comic supporting role while making his solo songs look effortless.
:thumbsup:

Its a good review with constructive criticism, which I am sure will be read by the producers and taken on board if the show should go to WestEnd. :)

Jaqui Blay from Pulse Radio is going to see Gareth in Loseville tonight , I heard her mention it on the radio , she'll be telling everyone about it on her 2pm - 6pm show tomorrow afternoon :thumbsup:

Jacqui Blay @jacquiblay

Going to watch Loserville with @Gareth_Gates tonight at West Yorkshire playhouse (my sisters treat)! Looking forward to it.