Loserville press night

Yorksheather

Thanks everyone for the links to all the excellent reviews , have loved reading them.

Hasn't it just been a fab few days with all these great reports of the show? The cast must be on a real high after such encouragement from the press.

Here are yet a couple more (One wonders how many press were there)?

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/lifestyle/the-arts/theatre/review-loserville-1-4692528

and another fab write up here:

http://www.leeds.towntalk.co.uk/news/d/27887/theatre-review-loserville/

Interesting that another musical has been penned by the writers, which starts in July.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is hard to believe we are two weeks in now, but so thrilled at the remarks and comments by the press and others. So well deserved by all at the WYPlayhouse.

While on here, I have a problem posting my posts, and I am mentioning this now simply in the hope that when I press 'Post' it will go to the thread. The green flashes go on for ages and the post stays with me and does not move to thread. 'Saviing Post' is then there. What does that mean?? Can anyone advise me please. This happens about 90% of the time and for several weeks has been like this. Sorry if this is the wrong place to bring this up.

Guest NicolaJayne

That was a fantastic review Snowdrop and thank you so much for the link 9.75 you can't get much better than that.

I am so happy to be going to this even though I have to wait till the last day.

Who would have thought a few years go Gareth would have got aclaim for his acting, this will make him very proud, and even a mention of Broadway, a very exciting possibility.

Thanks Heather. That's a good review especially as everyone who has been so far say Gareth is in the first half a lot more than the second.

I'm trying desperately hard to catch up with all these reviews before I lose my internet connection again tomorrow, so thanks to all who have found them,.

Gareth is in the second half quite a lot doing acting, but he sings much more in the first half. I think the second half has more plot to squeeze in, whereas much of the first act is establishing characters, more group number with characters coming and going, so it all flows more easily. The second half definitely felt a bit more clunky, with some longer bits wth just one or two actors on stage at a time. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd spent more time rehearsing and tweaking the first act. But I think the longer sections of dialoge have something to do with it. A pause for us all to hear Gareth's beautiful voice would go down a treat! :wub:

I do like the description from today's Observer that "Gareth Gates is deliciously wicked as the bullying class idol"

I am also pleased they picked up on Richard Lowe as Lucas. I thought he showed a great deal of potential. Granted, I spent about half of his solo song thinking "I wish Gareth was singing this", but apart from that, I thought he gave a very assured performance for someone making their professional debut.

I thought it was good that the woman on Radio Leeds, Clancy Walker, admitted that she'd got it wrong about Gareth and changed her mind after seeing her - I did think it was an odd thing for her to say. She must have known that Gareth has already done the West End, which is just as high a standard as Broadway. I know there are issue with work permits and visas, so there's much more to it, but as Gareth hadn't actually stated "I want to go to Broadway next", simply said, when prompted that it's something he'd like to do. She must have assumed Gareth was no more than stunt casting, and didn't believe Liz's rather vociferous and repeated claims that Gareth was fantastic in Les Miserables, and that (in the nicest possible way) she was shocked it was him! :lol:

But even better that she changed her mind based on a role that is mainly acting. If that impressed her, she'd have had her socks blown off hearing Gareth singing some of the bigger songs he's already sung on the West End stage from Les Mis, or Miss Saigon, or even Joseph. :D

Guest NicolaJayne

With all these great reviews coming through thick and fast daily. It will be a travesty if this show doesn't make the West End, was just coming to post up the last one when I saw it had already been done.

Some of the reviews are on The West Yorkshire Playhouse site.

"a bright bouncy book-show... almost defies criticism"

The Guardian

This bright and bouncy fantasy musical bubbles away effervescently, and is leavened by self-mocking wit, writes Michael Billington.

"Aaron Sidwell also lends Michael a nice gawky single-mindedness, Eliza Hope Bennett is all bright-eyed zeal as the far-from-prickly Holly"

"Rocking, rollicking, poster-bright, high-energy fun"

The Observer

"Aaron Sidwell is a perfect clutzy, American high-school dork... Gareth Gates is deliciously wicked as the bullying class idol... Eliza Hope Bennett's Holly, convincingly reconciles brains and beauty."

"A brilliant company of vibrant young talent"

The Stage

"There is a Fame-meets-High School Musical-meets Glee sensibility, at once knowing and ironic yet also sincere, of youth finding its feet amid casual betrayals of friendship and love."

"A tidal wave of kinetic energy"

Whatsonstage.com

"The infectious, if somewhat anachronistic, songs of Elliot Davis and James Bourne are great and each one is hit out of the park by the tireless and perfectly cast ensemble who are clearly relishing every moment of being on stage."

"in almost every respect this show measures up"

Yorkshire Post

"The cast is uniformly excellent, the choreography sassy and with a wit of its own, and the band does a tremendous job. The vocals are terrific, with particular kudos to Eliza Hope Bennett - surely one to watch.

All the songs deftly move the story on. Francis O'Connor's superb comic book design ideas help to lift this way beyond any high school musical."

"Steven Dexter's exuberant production has a brilliantly inventive design"

York Press

"Teenagers, in particular will love Loserville for its colourful characters, bright performances, sense of fantasy, sassy wit and awkward, gawky teen love, while cynicism-shunning adults will savour its relish for sending itself up."

It's not known as the Daily Fail for nothing! Inbetween being called the Daily Hate that is. For them, it's almost generous - and relatively kind to Gareth! :lol:

I think they may have accidentally complimented Gareth by the suggestion that he looks like he's hardly trying. The singing is plainly well within his comfort zone, but if he's managing to give the same impression with his dialogue, then that's very impressive. :D