Charity Football Match - Sunday 2nd Sept

eternal

Looks interesting - something to keep an eye out on.

BTW, we don't have a forum for uncomfirmed rumours. "News" is where we put actual new information, and ideally give a source for this. Chat is not for rumours, but for discussion of things that aren't news. I suppose a very vague rumour could go in Chat, if the person wants to start a conversation, giving their opinions on that possibility, but generally it's for chit-chat, and giving opinions on what outfit Gareth is wearing, or things that aren't quite related to Gareth.

Back on topic, I did see someone tweet Gareth something about this the other day, so it is more likely to be him than the other one!

• 2 weeks later...

There is another rumbling of Gareth being involved in this (well they may be hoping for a 10 years younger Gareth according to the photo) http://www.thisissussex.co.uk/Doolittle-lots-charity-football-match/story-16790070-detail/story.html.

Have popped it into News as it is now sounding a bit feasible but as yet still unconfirmed.

bless gareth scoring a goal is there aything he aint good at lol he has so much talent bless him doing a charity event on his sunday off does he ever rest bless him such a kind giving person just like he visited the soldiers in brum so giving of his time glad les mis won hope there be a pic or two of gareth playing footie.love sarahjane xxx

Fanastic photos, and it's brilliant Gareth was able to go back and join up with his former cast-mates to do this.

I have to disagree that it was "good" he kept quiet about this until the last minute. It is possible he didn't know he was going, but it's more likely he just didn't think about it. While it's very noble not to talk about doing things for charity, this sort of event is a fundraiser that relies on the public turning up and donating, which means they need to know it is happening. Gareth wasn't invited for a simple kick about the park, or even for his footballing skills (sorry Gaz). He was invited because of his connection to the show, and his own celebrity. I saw at least one person on twitter say they'd have come if only they'd known sooner as they lived less than ten minutes away. It's a shame they missed out, and also a shame they weren't there to contribute towards the fund.

I'm guessing this was something organised with Gareth directly, so that might explain why it didn't go up on his website, but as soon as he knew he was planning to do it, he should have made sure it was added.

Have you never thought that the reason it wasn't publicised is because when its for Charity they don't want loads of Gareth fans there, He is playing as part of a team for the Charity so he wouldn't of wanted to steal the limelight away from the Charity as this is what would of happend if a load of Gareth fans turned up and started shouting his name etc.

I'm sorry, it's one thing not to advertise hospital visits etc, as there is no benefit from it being in the press. I can assure you that I did think about it before saying what I had to say. In fact, it was giving it a moments thought that led me to that very conclusion.

The people organising this event were working really hard to promote it, tweeting Gareth the link to their web-page, which had Gareth's name as the main draw. It doesn't take a great deal of thought to realise they WANTED a lot of Gareth's fans there. They wanted lot of people there, whether they were fans of Gareth specifically, or any of the other West End stars, or the person from Hollyoaks, or the professional footballers who had all got involved knowing that people would pay to see them play because of who they are, rather than watch any old bunch of lads playing Sunday league football.

I happen to think it's a shame that some of Gareth's fans who might not be on his fan sites missed out on the chance to see him because they didn't find out until his last minute tweet. I also think it's a shame that great charity made a bit less money because of it.

While I know that sometimes fans can be a bit embarassing, I really don't think there is anything to worry about if a handful shout out his name during a football match. I used to go to football a lot when I was younger, and it's perfectly acceptable! :D

If any of the other players were going to feel snubbed because Gareth had fans there supporting him, they weren't getting the point of the fundraiser.

I'd much rather think that Gareth overlooked announcing the match because he's not that good at plugging his events (it's not just charity stuff that isn't announced) than assume that he's so embarassed by his fans he doesn't want them showing him up in front of his friends. :blink:

As I said before, it is possible Gareth didn't know he was taking part until the last minute, in which case it was wrong of the organisers to advertise Gareth as taking part. However, I was specifically talking about whether or not it's good that Gareth might have deliberately kept quiet about his involvement.