Legally Blonde, Manchester

eternal

Guest NicolaJayne

Even Ali Gareths manager agreed with me that Gareth was under used in LB but said it was on Gareths wish list and one to tick off. I agree with the comments that he was a crowd pleaser while he was on stage, he looked great as Warner.

You will definately enjoy it though Maria as Gareth is in it and on stage a lot of the time, so how could you not do.

I really enjoyed the show last night more than I thought I would :) I know there's mixed views on it, I would choose Loserville if I had to choose but they are actually 2 very different shows in my eyes, the dogs are absolutely adorable and so well trained, Bruiser didn't look in the least bit scared or bothered by the audience and all the dancing round at the end of the show when being carried in Elle's bag, there's not much I can say about the show that's not already beensaid in othrs reports and in the reviews, i'm glad I seen it in the end :) I don't have to tell you Gareth made a brilliant Warner and put everything into the performance he could.

I put in the Triathon thread what Gareth had said when I met him arrive and what he said back, I handed him a gift and he said thank you and asked me how's things, I said all is fine and he said good then I asked about the Triathon, he was wearing the tracksuit he wore in the Trithon pics Heather posted a link to. after the show there was quite a lot of people at the stage door including a group or girls on a Hen night and the bride to be's mum was there which later as Gareth was going it looked like he was with them, I managed to ive him a hug as he was about to go and got a birthday card signed for Sarahjane and my programme signed.

Guest NicolaJayne

Pleased you enjoyed LB Maria and got to see Gareth afterwards. Knew you would like it its just that Gareth has done lots of shows now and some are better than others.

Even Ali Gareths manager agreed with me that Gareth was under used in LB but said it was on Gareths wish list and one to tick off.

Nice to read snippets like this. Interesting that Gareth has a wish list.

Thanks for a great report Maria. Good to know you liked the show. Great that you have now managed to see it.

after the show there was quite a lot of people at the stage door including a group or girls on a Hen night and the bride to be's mum was there which later as Gareth was going it looked like he was with them,

Thanks for these snippets too.

Good to know you were able to speak to Gareth after his triathlon yesterday.

A bit late - I was on holilday and everything's been hectic - but I went to the last show in Manchester with Maggie.

I was a bit wary, as some reviews suggested Gareth wasn't in it much. He obviously wasn't in it quite enough for my liking, but was present for quite a lot more than I'd assumed from reports, which was a pleasant surprise. In his opening number, he sang so beautifully, it was a joy. He also added class whenever he did sing during the rest of the show.

It was interesting, because in some ways, Warner is similar to Eddie (Loseverille). Warner is equally arrogant, and self-centred and ambitious, but not nasty (deliberately), and while a bit short-sighted and lacking wisdom, he's not stupid.

Everyone else was good too, although I did find the female ensemble a bit brassy sometimes. Less is sometimes more, especially when you are singing in a particularly annoying American accent! I'm sure the accents were deliberate, but it did assault the senses at times by over-singing. The actress playing Elle was brilliant, and same for Brooke. I wasn't sure what to expect from Jennifer Ellison vocally. I'd seen her in the play Boeing, Boeing before, and she was brilliant, and was similarly good in this. Not the strongest vocally, but more than adequate, and more pleasant on the ear than some who may technically be stronger vocalists.. She was a little drowned out in the second one by the over-singers, but the nature of the number meant that didn't matter too much.

Professor Callaghan was good too, but I have to admit to being slightly disappointed by the Emmet. He'd had good reviews, so I was surprised. He acted well enough, and came across as sweet, but the best way I can think to describe him vocally is plain and not particularly comfortable with what isn't a particularly big sing. It's entirely plausible he had a bad throat that night, or was simply vocally tired. He wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, but the contrast between him and Gareth was substantial.

When Gareth was first announced to be doing Legally Blonde, some of the theatre websites assumed he'd be Emmet. If they do another tour any time soon, it would be interesting to see Gareth in that role, which I think he could do with ease. :wub:

Being the last night of that leg of the tour, the audience was very enthusiastic, and Gareth and everyone else got a great reception. Gareth (and a few others) got a cheer when they first appeared on stage. The dogs were particularly popular too! :lol:

I think it's interesting that some of the reviews said that this incarnation of the tour is better than what they'd seen a year ago. I'd like to think it's all down to Gareth, but I think it's the kind of show that could easily stray from good fun into naff if the production values drop. The songs are quite good, if not spectacular, but a couple of them go on too long (especially the multiple reprises of "Legally Blonde" being belted out.

Some have said it's very different to Loserville. I actually think it has many similarities. The type of music is different, but the general tone, and the characters are in the same vein. Superficially, the plain Holly is different to Elle, but both of them are on a quest to be taken seriously, and it's all about seeing the person within and not judging a book by its cover and the sweet, if a bit dull, clever boy getting the girl. Not forgetting the not very subtle moral of both stories is that you should just be yourself and do your own thing and follow your dream etc etc. Warner's girlfriend even started off mean and bitchy to Elle just as Eddie's girlfriend was mean and bitchy to Holly. Then both saw the error of their ways! :lol:

But you don't go to see a show like this for their amazingly original plots. In fact, if they are too original, you will end up confused, and both shows seem to know what they are about, so aren't trying to fool anyone. :D

Thanks for your great report Snowdrop. I totallty agree with you that the two shows LB and Loserville are very similar and Gareth's character is virtually the same part. As I've said before I preferred LB of the two and I think Gareth was actually on stage for longer than he was in LV even if he didn't sing much. Love your thinking on the similarity of the lead characters too.

Guest NicolaJayne

Thank you Snowdrop for your fantastic very detailed report of L B. In fact the best I have read. The sound quality was so poor at Milton Keynes I must admit to getting a bit lost off with it as it was so difficult to make out what the girls especially were talking about or singimg about. At least if I'd been in the stalls I would have had a better view of Gareth and his facial expressions which I love.

Have to agree with most of what you have said Snowdrop. I went to see the show in Manc before setting off to Florida. I have saw it in the Westend before and I was really reluctant to see it again because I didn't enjoy it. So I was pleasantly surprised I enjoyed it this time around lol and it was not just the fact that Gareth was in it which was a nice bonus :) maybe the second time around I got it more and it seemed a simpler production less showy. Jenfier was ok as Paulette have seen stronger in the role but really liked her as a tv personality so was happy enough. I was really disappointed in Emmett too as Lee Mead was the last person I saw play the role and he was a lot better. I would have loved to have seen Gareth play this role too. But with the limited role he had he did a brilliant job. I payed a hell of a lot more attention to Warner than before so it made a nice change of angle routing for the badie . He really impressed my two friends and sister which made me rather happy :)

Great reviews from Snowdrop and Suzie.

Interesting Suzie that you had seen it previously with another main actor so you were able to compare.

I quite liked Emmett but it is a role I would like to see Gareth play too.

Being a bit of a romantic, I would like to see him get the girl in the end.