Gareth at Canterbury Academy

Val4Gareth

That's ok Solveig I am impatient :warning: Lol!

It's a shame some important stuff can get lost in various threads so always feel free to post in other sections too so they can be shared (and drooled over)!

Heather I love the article from the Canterbury Times

POP idol Gareth Gates may have finished his ten-week stint playing Prince Charming in the Marlowe Theatre's panto, but his connection with Canterbury will continue.

The singer-turned-stage-star has started his own theatre school at the Canterbury Academy, which will help shape the careers of talented singers, dancers and actors from across the district.

To mark the launch of Gates Academy, Gareth dropped into the Knight Avenue school on Friday to perform exclusively perform to more than 1,000 pupils.

He sang acoustic versions of Adele's Someone Like You and Bon Jovi's Living On A Prayer, as well as his own hit record, Spirit in the Sky, in the school's hall.

The 28-year-old entertainer performed an impromptu version of Sex On Fire by Kings Of Leon when the audience chanted for an encore, and pulled a student on stage to help him sing when he forgot the words to the verse.

The 2002 Pop Idol runner-up, whose debut single Unchained Melody went double platinum in the UK selling more than 1 million copies, was also named the patron of the school's performing arts centre. He said: "I am delighted to be a patron for the Black Hole Academy of Acting at the Canterbury Academy.

"The teaching programme is one of the best I've seen, and I would highly recommend it to any talented pupil interested in performing arts and a future in the industry."

The school's director of performing arts, Sarah Stanton, added: "Gareth's performancelb_icon1.png at the Canterbury Academy was just incredible – all the pupils were so excited and enjoyed every minute of it.

"It is fantastic to have someone of Gareth's calibre sharing his expertise in the performing arts, together with his industry knowledge, to help launch the careers of Black Hole students.

"The Black Hole Academy of Acting is fast establishing a name for itself as an exceptional place to study drama, with students going onto top acting colleges such as East 15, where Billy Elliot director and Oscar-nominee Stephen Daldry was once a student."

Gareth will return to the school throughout the year to perform, and will be involved in the Black Hole Academy's audition process for students aged 16 to 19 from 10am to 5pm on Friday, March 1. For more information, e-mail Sarah Stanton at sstanton@canterbury.kent.sch.uk

The Gates Academy will run in the Black Hole drama studio on the school's campus from 5pm to 8pm every Wednesday during term-time. Anyone interested in attending is asked to e-mail gatesacademycanterbury@hotmail.com

Oops to the forgetting the words of Kings of Leon but how lovely that a pupil was on stage to help him sing.

Think Gareth is doing a fine job at the academy.

Guest NicolaJayne

Thanks for posting Chris. It never ceases to amaze me how Gareth remembers all the words to so many songs, must have an amazing memory and can be forgiven for forgetting this time.

• 2 years later...