Blackburn gig 27.9.13

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gareth has spoken to the Lancashire Telegraph prior to his gig in Blackburn on Friday.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/leisure/whats_on/10692165.Star_Gareth_Gates_speaks_out_ahead_of_Blackburn_acoustic_session/?ref=rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Star Gareth Gates speaks out ahead of Blackburn acoustic session

Mr Gates has been a busy boy since coming second in Pop Idol a decade ago, from music and theatre success to helping fellow stammerers overcome their affliction as Simone O’Kane found out

HIS voice has taken him around the world, given him four UK number one singles, he’s sold 3.5 million records, and released three albums, yet speaking to Gareth Gates over the telephone, you would never think it was possible.

And although he continues to struggle with his speech, the conversation seemed easy — a far cry from his uncomfortable and now infamous, Pop Idol audition in 2002.

Since then, he has enrolled on the McGuire Programme, a course that changed his life both personally and professionally, enabling him to control his stammer.

Gareth now has the confidence to speak out and engage with his fans, including the ones in Blackburn when he comes to Thwaites Empire Theatre next week.

“I was ready to get back into the acoustic sessions and after being involved in theatre for such a long time, I wanted to write and sing again, it is what I love to do,” said Gareth who, when speaking, controls his stammer with special breathing techniques.

“I have missed being an artist, so recently I have gone back to the studio and have written some new songs. I haven’t quite put together a new album, but I will see how these tracks go down with smaller crowds and if the reaction is good I might be able to get back out there, making a new album next year,” said Gareth, who was runner up on Pop Idol to Will Young.

The 29-year-old has without a doubt, become a household name globally. He won record of the year in 2002 and had the best-selling single of the noughties, with Unchained Melody.

Outside of the UK, Gareth was awarded Best International Male in 2003/4 from MTV Asia, MTV China and MTV Taiwan. He appeared on Dancing on Ice in 2008 and came fourth.

Theatre has been Gareth’s main concern over the past five years. He has had the lead role in Joseph And His Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and he also played Warner in the UK touring musical Legally Blonde.

“I have been very lucky since Pop Idol. I have had lots and lots of support which is great. I have got old fans that have been there right from the beginning and the support continues to grow. I will perform the new songs on tour in Blackburn and maybe next year write a little bit more, but yes, I love music and theatre just the same,” said Gareth who also took on the role of Marius, in the 25th anniversary tour of Les Miserables.

Away from his hectic schedule, Gareth, who can also play piano and guitar to the highest standard, is a qualified course instructor on the McGuire Programme, a course organised by stutterers for other stutterers which transforms people who stutter into articulate people.

Gareth first enrolled on the programme, when he was asked to go live on the Jonathan Ross show in 2007 and confessed that he wouldn’t have been able to do it without going on the course. He also admitted that he still has to work on his speech on a daily basis.

“I love teaching because I know it can help, you can get control of your speech with techniques and breathing properly,” said Gareth who filmed a documentary, Stop My Stutter for BBC3.

The documentary was a life-changing experience for students. Gareth also talked about how this affliction shaped his own life and made him who he is today.

Gareth added: “It has been a great journey over the last decade. I know that if I hadn’t auditioned for Pop Idol, I wouldn’t be where I am now. Being in the public eye has made everybody aware of the problems you can face if you have a stammer. I am just taking every opportunity and keeping as busy as I can.”

• Gareth Gates Unplugged, Friday, September 27, Thwaites Empire Theatre, Ewood. Tickets £16-£18. Box office: 01254 685500

That's a good article and tells the people of Blackburn what Gareth has been up to.

I wonder if there will be some new songs he sings on tour- Am hoping so?

He could well include this one too:

Tickets booked fantastic

Have a great time Cris. Perhaps you can let us know what Gareth sings?

Gareth was late arriving at the venue. According to Becky on Twitter both he and Pete were held up on the Motorway, separately, but they arrived by about 8 o'clock. She is going to try to take some video if she can.

Seems people didn't mind waiting for him.

@sldunne2
Don't worry about being late @Gareth_Gates we'll wait for you... Forever! #nomoresleeps #loveyougareth @andreamr19
@tullyt
@Gareth_Gates well done in Blackburn. Kate next to me crying. But loving it
@tullyt
@Gareth_Gates My daughter is loving this tonight thanks so much we have travelled a way to see you in Blackburn. How about unchained melo

Just writing a quick report,ValR and I decided today to go to Blackburn.Gareth was brilliant tonight,he sang 6 new songs (loved all of them)and lots of others that I've not heard him sing before.It was a completely new song list than we saw him sing in Bingley.He must have sung about 20 songs. I love his new hairstyle,makes him look a lot younger,he wasn't as tanned as he usually is and looked a lot better for it.The theatre was very small but was almost full,the girls were very vocal he loved the reaction of the crowd and they loved him. Gareth was very late at the theatre,he should have been there at 2pm,his dad told us that it had taken them 7 hours to get there. Pete came from London,he was even later.Our journey from home in the opposite direction took us 11/2 hours instead of 25mins.There must have been about 100 people to see G afterwards,we didn't stay to see Gareth but had a nice chat with his dad before heading home.Taken some lovely pics of Gareth will have to upload them another time as I will be out all day tomorrow,hence the quick post tonight.

http://s18.photobucket.com/user/dorral/media/blackburn009.jpg.html'>blackburn009.jpg

Thank you Cris and Doris for telling us about the gig last night. Gareth looks fantastic in your pic Doris with his new hairstyle. I think it suits him much better than the other one. Fantastic that Gareth sang so many new songs. Can't wait to hear the. Hope we don't have to wait too long for the new album

I hope you will be able to upload your videos Cris. It would be such a treat for those of us who didn't get to hear them last night.

It was a brilliant evening - I loved the new songs and thought the set list was excellent. Can't remember all the songs but the first set started with a couple of of his own songs, first one being Sunshine, then he did a few new ones , Anyone of Us and a couple more new ones, and a couple of his old ones. The second set was more rocky songs, some covers that I haven't heard him sing before, plus Suspicious Minds, Summer of 69, Spirit in the Sky and finally a Queen song. He really encouraged the audience to join in and lots of people were on their feet. - mostly female audience with lots of twentysomethings and a few men. The chap behind me was full of praise for both Gareth and Pete, it was good to hear.

It was lovely that Gareth did a Meet and Greet and good to see so many people waiting to see him even though it was nearly 10.30pm - he would probably have taken another hour to meet them all and do the photos!

As Doris said it took us a while to get there but well worth it - still smiling today!

Oh and the hairstyle is lovely!