Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs - Dec 2014 Croydon

Val4Gareth

Guest NicolaJayne

Loved reading this article Chris and seeing the lovely pics.

Gareth loves doing Panto and we love seeing him shine in them.

Last paragraph was the best and sums Gareth up, he faces a challenge head on.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

 Gareth Gates retweeted

Fairfield Halls ‏@FairfieldHalls · 34m34 minutes ago
#Croydon #Panto has begun! Will Prince Charming @Gareth_Gates win the heart of Snow White and sweep her off her feet? http://is.gd/5vpSca

Another lovely interview here .

http://thecroydoncitizen.com/culture/always-prince-gareth-gates-comes-croydon/

Always the prince: Gareth Gates comes to Croydon
By Bernadette Fallon - Friday 5th December, 2014
Before stepping out as Prince Charming this evening, on the opening night of Fairfields Halls’ Christmas pantomime Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Gareth Gates had a chat with Bernadette Fallon
Gareth-Gates-200x300.jpg

Gareth Gates.
Photo by Fairfield Halls, used with permission.

From the adulation of millions in the heady days of the first-ever Pop Idol phenomenon, to the stage of Fairfield Halls for the Croydon Christmas panto: it’s been quite a journey for Gareth Gates. But maybe not exactly the journey he would have imagined for himself back in those million-selling record days?

He, however, has a very positive take on his life so far. “I’ve always been very busy and I’m very grateful for that.”

So yes, there’ve been the four number one singles, the millions of records sold, the famous head-to-head with Will Young in the Pop Idol final when a nation collectively gasped as the winner was revealed as not Gareth – what? – but Will. Will the posh boy, the privileged one; Gareth, stammering his way through interviews but singing word and note perfect.

In my mind, Pop Idol was just a small talent show

Looking back on those early days, what advice would he give to his younger self, the 17-year-old Pop Idol finalist?

“I’d say have fun, just go with it. That series of Pop Idol was the first of its kind, nobody knew what it would become. In my mind I was just entering a small talent show – but it changed my life. And I’ve been fortunate ever since. I’ve never stopped working.”

From entering a ‘small talent show’ to holding millions of viewers captivated every Saturday night, it must have been one hell of a roller coaster. He’s relaxed about it all however.

“I was young, I didn’t ask any questions. I just accepted it. But yes, being thrown into the middle of all that attention is a bit crazy.”

He explains that he always knew he would end up working in music – as music had always been a part of his life.

“When I was a child I wasn’t able to speak properly at all, a lot of the time I just couldn’t get any words out. But I could sing the words, and music became my form of release.”

Getting on stage after battling a stammer in rehearsals is a challenge

Ah yes. The stammer. The aspect of Gareth’s story that became as famous as he did. The stammer is still an issue every time he faces a new show.

“This is my sixth panto. I’ve always played the prince but it’s always a challenge. I’m naturally finding things more difficult than the rest of the actors in Croydon because of my stammer. The end result is always the same – by the time I get on stage for the show my speech is fine – but the process takes longer for me. I have a speech guy who comes down and helps out – but it’s mostly about the rest of the cast being patient and comfortable with it in rehearsals.”

Getting up on stage after battling weeks of stammering through rehearsals and knowing you have to be word perfect? A challenge? Well that’s an understatement.

Despite this, he’s played leading roles in West End musicals including Les Miserables and Joseph and His Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat. He’s taken roles in Legally Blonde and Loserville.

“I’ve also done straightforward theatre that’s all speech and no music,” he adds. “I eventually get into the character, adopt a totally different persona, and my speech is completely fine. It just takes me a while to get there.”

When the crowd’s up for it, panto is brilliant

So, how will playing Croydon compare to the West End stage?

“Playing in the West End is totally different, it’s a different type of show. Les Mis, for example, was very serious, though of course it’s a great experience and learning curve. But panto is just such fun – you can have such a laugh doing it. I love the script the production company, Evolution, has developed for the show – it’s written for both adults and children and there will be lots of audience interaction. When the crowd’s up for it, it’s brilliant.”

There you go, your chance to come and interact with a multi-million-record-selling artist here in Croydon. And might we see his old mentor Simon Cowell in the audience?

“We chat every so often, we’re often at the same events. Yes, it would be great if he came to the show.”

Gareth has very much moved with the times and kept busy – as he says, never out of work. So far this year there’s been Dancing on Ice, the Champion of Champions tour, following his first appearance on the show back in 2008. There was the Big Reunion arena tour in summer as part of pop super-group 5th Story, with former pin-up pop-sters Dane Bowers, Adam Rickitt, Kavana and Kenzie. And, more recently, an acoustic tour of the UK that had fans posting excitedly all over Twitter, which ended the week before rehearsals for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs began. Writing some of his own music these days, he describes his sound as “still pop, but older pop”.

He’s delighted to be playing in Croydon

It’s a gruelling schedule for the panto; two shows a day for the entire run, with only Mondays, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day off. He shrugs it off with a laugh. “I’ve done pantos where we’ve had three shows a day, so this is an easy one for me.”

He’s also delighted to be playing in Croydon, as it means he can go home to Chiswick every night.

“Most years I have to spend six weeks away from home, when I’m doing panto in other parts of the country. This way I get to spend Christmas at home.”

He won’t, he reveals, be cooking his own dinner on Christmas Day though.

“My family’s coming down from Bradford. My mum will be doing the turkey.”

Guest NicolaJayne

That's a really nice interview Heather, hope all goes well for Press night tonight. I'm sure it well as Gareth is very professional and certainly knows his stuff.

I'm not too keen on the first part of that interview Heather but quite like how it has been portrayed of the difficulties and the hard work Gareth has to endure to appear on stage like he does. How hard is it to read about the rest of the cast being " comfortable and patient" with him?

Nice to read Gareth will once again have his turkey dinner cooked by his mom.

Thanks for posting the interview, Heather, which on the whole gives quite a heartfelt insight into what Gareth has to cope with to appear in shows where he has to speak. I love his positive attitude - it is a real achievement to still be working in the industry pretty non-stop 13 years after it all began. I much prefer the type of shows and gigs he does now rather than the big arena shows, it means that we get to meet him personally far more often.

At last! Gareth said that this is his sixth panto - all the interviews I'd seen previously said fifth!

Croydon Advertiser review .

http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/REVIEW-Snow-White-Seven-Dwarfs-Croydon-s/story-25522953-detail/story.html

REVIEW: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - Croydon's pantomime is funny and fabulous
By Croydon Advertiser | Posted: December 10, 2014

You know it’s getting near Christmas in Croydon when a princely pop star battles an evil queen for a young girl's hand in marriage, while seven diminutive miners look on. Croydon’s pantomime is up and running.

The production, in case you’d missed the giant posters around the town, is Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, with former Pop Idol Gareth Gates in the Prince Charming role.

Rising musical theatre star Witney White plays her namesake Snow, and comic Jack Glanville is her best friend Muddles, an Ian Holloway sound-a-like who is head-over-heels in love with the fair princess.

Quinn Patrick returns to Fairfield once more as the pantomime dame, Nurse Nellie, and gets through nearly as many costumes as jokes.

Muddles and Nellie are the scene-stealing sidekick double act, with one rapid-fire, pun-filled sequence featuring vinyl records proving a highlight.

Gareth and Witney are the perfect pantomime pairing, and despite playing the straighter leading roles, they have a lot of license to have fun with their characters.

Paul Hendy’s script is genuinely funny throughout, coupled with the blatantly bad puns and the so-bad-they’re-good gags that are synonymous with panto.

And the jokes are not just for kids. Indeed, Gareth taking the mickey out of his stutter, a ‘New Addington advent calendar’ jibe, and several references to Pop Idol’s kilt-wearing forgotten man Darius Danesh caters for a more mature demographic.

The dwarfs, named Sarge, Cheeky, Sniffly, Loopy, Striker, Groovy and Brian are a bit late in arriving, but are certainly more than your run-of-the-mill gang, walking in a circle with pickaxes and whistling ‘High-Ho’.

Sarge insists on drumming, despite everyone telling him he can’t (cue ‘Oh yes he can!’), and turns out to be rather good, walloping the skins with flamboyant rhythmic gusto.

Striker, sporting a Crystal Palace shirt, proves to be decent with the ball at his feet, while the silent Loopy’s acrobatics and cartwheels raised a few surprised eyebrows among the audience.

All the while, the wicked Queen Ivannah (Siani Owen) is plotting to kill Snow White after becoming incensed that she is no longer the fairest in the land.

Indeed, it’s difficult to see what she was more concerned about, losing her title of fairest in the land or being threatened by the Prince that she ‘will do pantomime in Bromley’ if she doesn’t mend her evil ways.

In terms of the production, there were one or two teething problems – the odd mic slip and the magic mirror (a very convincing look and sound-a-like of Simon Cowell, who was in Croydon himself with X Factor finalist Ben Haenow on Tuesday night) suffering problems with lip synching.

But the songs were polished – ranging from Love is an Open Door, from Frozen, to a medley of Madness hits, and had everyone clapping along in typical panto style.

On the whole, it is a wonderfully witty affair that has everything a family panto should have.

Oh, and everybody dresses up as Elvis.

post-10-0-81644800-1418329944_thumb.jpg

A good review from The Stage :thumbsup:

http://www.thestage.co.uk/reviews/review.php/40576/snow-white-and-the-seven-dwarfs-img

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs 4.png
Published Wednesday 10 December 2014 at 17:15 by Paul Vale

For its fourth year at the Ashcroft, Evolution Pantomimes tackles the dark tale of Snow White, diluting the more frightening elements of the story with laughter for all the family. There is also a gutsy score, an X-Factor friendly mirror and a stage full of Elvis impersonators reminding us that panto is not just about tradition, it’s about innovation for a modern audience.

Gareth Gates certainly makes a handsome Prince Charming but he also an animated, comedy performer who never takes himself too seriously and knows how to deliver a good love song.

There is also a genuine rapport between Gates and Witney White’s Snow White, which gives their whirlwind romance credibility.

Comedian Jack Glanville is a dynamic Muddles and Siani Owen brings a startling soprano belt to the role of the Wicked Queen Ivannah. The seven dwarfs work up a frenzy of laughs too, with some bad jokes, a catchy Madness medley and some wonderful clowning, particularly from newcomer Kain Francis as Loopy.

Once again, Quinn Patrick as Nurse Nellie proves to be one of the best dames in the business and a real favourite with Croydon the audience. Slick new routines, lightening ad-libs and an irreverent patter with Gates make Patrick a vital ingredient to this year’s comedy mix.

Verdict: A traditional family show with some quirky innovations that keep this often dark fairytale fresh and fun

Guest NicolaJayne

Hard to believe this is Gareth's 6th Panto, this is his second Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and think the other was Aladdin. How the years have flown by since Gareth first appeared in Panto.

i have been lucky to have seen and enjoyed them all.

An excellent review here for Gareth :thumbsup:

http://www.sardinesmagazine.co.uk/reviews/review.php?reviewsID=1289

Married couple Paul Hendy and Emily Wood have, through their company Evolution Pantomimes, seven productions dotted around the country this year, and if they’re all as good as Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs – currently playing at Croydon’s Ashcroft Theatre – then the great British ‘family’ panto is in very safe hands.

The emphasis on ‘family’ is well justified and apparent from conception to reception as, once more, a big-name celebrity appears to be having the time of their life; getting stuck in, only too happy to send themselves up and thrilling Croydon’s young and old alike.

Twelve months ago it was Albert Square’s Steve McFadden who was the butt of a whole feast of gags. This year the perfect Prince Charming, Gareth Gates, has entered into true panto spirit opening himself up for an hilarious festive roasting which includes being referred to as ‘Darius’ throughout (after first being mistaken for Will Young), being compared to a tangerine, and even taking the mickey out of his own famously documented vocal challenge which was first brought to the public’s attention back in 2002.

Since Pop Idol, Gates has become a highly accomplished theatre star with acclaimed performances in Les Mis, Legally Blonde and Joseph, the result of which has given him an impressive level of stage presence. His rendition of All of Me Loves All of You was well received last night – before his fellow cast members ripped him to shreds over it… of course.

First in line to provide Mr Gates’ right royal roasting – and very possibly stealing the show – is arguably the funniest dame in the country, Quinn Patrick, in his fourth straight year in Croydon. Sardines is looking forward to interviewing this panto genius for the magazine next week (as well as Mr Gates) but for now, if you want to see how it’s done properly, I can’t urge you enough to grab a ticket. ‘Funny’ doesn’t even come close! Under David Janson’s assured direction, Patrick is rightly allowed to not only break the fourth wall but constantly connect with the audience outside of the panto bubble.

Jack Glanville’s love-struck Muddles is also a strong addition to this year’s show in a role that works well alongside Patrick’s Nurse Nellie. Their original and dazzling two-man sketch, featuring no less than 57 vinyl record covers, was inspired and a wonderful example of Paul Hendy’s clever writing. Siani Owen makes a deliciously cold and evil Queen Ivannah, whose best friend is her ‘Simon Cowell’ mirror, and Witney White’s apt titular performance saved the day when the audience failed to provide the required screams warning Snow White of her imminent death in the forest.

As a writer Hendy’s skill comes in his ability to spread such a high quality script across the entire cast and thus avoiding the need for the ‘star turn’ to carry the show. In fact he’s crammed so much material and so many gags into every principal role that halfway through the first act I almost forgot we hadn’t even met the seven dwarfs yet. But when we do, the show finds yet another dimension with some lovely slapstick routines, cheesy jokes, one heck of a drum solo, some lively acrobatics from ‘free runner’ Kain Francis and, my favourite part of course… a delightful Our House/House of Fun/Baggy Trousers Madness medley. Why it's as if they knew I was in! What more could you ask for?

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs plays at The Ashcroft Theatre, Fairfield Halls, Croydon until 4th January. Go!

It's just so good to read such great reviews for Gareth and for the whole show too.

These Evolution producers quite obviously know their jobs.

We have another small review here:

http://www.kidzcoolit.com/reviews/christmas-at-fairfield-halls-croydon.php

Parent View:
Fairfield Halls Croydon have done it again. What A great show. The plot, (or their take on it), script, songs, costumes and jokes are top rate. Once again the cast are all fabulous.
Quinn Patrick was brilliant as the Panto dame, running the show as always. This time, ably assisted by Jack Glanville as Muddles.

Between the two the entire audience, children and adults alike are totally immersed into the show and become part of it. Albeit we had to retake an act when the audience didn’t play their part and call out in time so Snow White ended up dead!! The audience then received a 3 minute telling off, with bags of laughs thrown in.

Gareth Gates, Prince Charming, was wonderful and the butt of many of joke throughout the show. Witney White, Snow White was captivating and engaged the children well. Year on year Fairfield Halls out do themselves.

Now I’m looking forward to next years production of Cinderlla!.

Guest NicolaJayne

Second visit to the panto last night this time with Linda, set off with hours to spare but traffic was horrendous as it was a weekday. Finally got to Croydon could see Fairfield Halls but couldn't get over to it. Croydon centre is a nightmare and we ended up getting lost driving round the centre of Croydon, miracle we got back and finally parked up at the NCP car park next door, in time for the show but no time to eat. Got a kit kat and a coffee to take in with us. Great seats centre front row. 3 or 4 seats spare at the side of us, but on the whole almost full. Not a lot of changes since last time, just suble ones where they had made more of some of the funny gags. Gareth didn't seem to do anything differently and he was just as professional as ever. Songs sung just as beautifully. I was surprised that Gareth didn't sing any of his own songs in this panto, not even SITS.Also the only one I was really familiar with was All of me, but All the songs were lovely even though I didn't know them. Still no response from the audience when Muddles was going to stab Snow White to death, so like Saturday they told off the children for their lack of response and did the scene again to get audience reaction LOL All too soon it was at an end and we made our way to the back of the theatre to the stage door , only us waiting apart from a group of girls one whose daughter was in the chorus but also waiting to see Gareth. The grumpy man was not on the desk this time it was a woman so no problems this time. Gareth came out after a little while sucking a cough sweet and admitted he still hasn't managed to shake off his throat and chest problems. We had forgot to take a pen and Gareth didn't have one on him so had to go back to the desk for a pen. He signed our programmes and also my Greatest Hits that I forgot to take to Islington, then we both had a pic and a few words with him. Then wished him Merry Christmas and set off on our journey home that was not as bad as the journey there, the things we do to see Gareth think it would have been much less stressful to have gone on the train. Really hope that Gareth gets better soon, but this throat and cough takes weeks as all our family have had it. He still manages to look gorgeous though as you can see even when he isn't well.

post-43-0-18962500-1418380777_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your report Elaine. Glad you managed to get to meet him this time. Love your pic with Gareth.

Bit worrying that Gareth still has his throat problems.

There are some nice pictures from the Panto on this link

http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/pictures/GALLERY-Fairfield-Halls-pantomime-Snow-White/pictures-25701105-detail/pictures.html#1

Guest NicolaJayne

Thank you for the link to the panto pics Val, they really capture the mood of the panto. For people not lucky enough to see it.

I think Gareth could do with a few days rest but no chance of that with the panto.