Tour Night No. 4 Newcastle

eternal

And a fab review (wow how quick is this)?!!

Review: Gareth Gates at Sage Gateshead: The Pop Idol runner up and Big Reunion star stripped things back for his… http://dlvr.it/7ZzT5j

**** (4 stars) :thumbsup:
Gareth was on fine form

I’m actually struggling to believe that 12 years have passed since I banged the arm of my sofa in a fit of teenage rage after Gareth Gates was beaten to Pop Idol victory by Will Young and on Thursday night reality TV’s most famous runner up was on Tyneside to entertain his North East fans.

The audience might not have been as big as in his hay day when he packed out the arena once as part of the Pop Idol tour and then again with Will and Zoe Birkett a few months later, but there’s still clearly a fondness for the lad who stole the nation’s heart with his angelic voice and nervous stutter.

Gareth was last in Newcastle a few weeks ago as part of 5th Story on the Big Reunion Boyband tour but he wasn’t flunked by his pop pals for his latest appearance, cutting a confident figure behind the mic and piano.

Gone were there backing tracks and in their place drums, guitar and keyboard, meaning that overly produced schmaltzy ballads became stripped back rather intense love songs, particularly number one hit Anyone Of Us and top 5 hit Say It Isn’t So.

Cover versions served Gareth well back in the day so he’d be fool to shy away from that winning formula.

He didn’t, which meant that his very enthusiastic audience were swept away by his takes on She’s Like The Wind and All Of Me which acted as the perfect lead in to original track That’s When You Know.

His impressive take on Ed Sheeran’s recent chart topper Thinking Out Loud showed a lot more grit to Gareth then his pop poster boy past would have you believe.

And of course his hit covers were in the mix too- with Suspicious Minds getting many out of their seats and Unchained Melody seeing fans make their own voices heard.

But there was one voice that ruled the night and that belonged to a certain 30 year old Bradford boy.

It was his voice that we all fell in love with in 2002 and it’s still there to be admired.

The more intimate setting and the absence of thumping backing tracks allowed Gareth’s voice to shine more than the TV studio did back in his time on Pop Idol and the acoustic vibe to proceedings really showed off his skills as a musician as well.

Gareth’s audience came to be entertained and he definitely gave them plenty for their hard earned.

More than just a trip down memory lane this concert and the atmosphere Gareth whipped up, showed that he should have no reason for taking a hiatus from the music industry any time soon.

SETLIST

Free

Sunshine

Anyone of Us

She’s Like The Wind/All of Me/That’s When You Know

Suspicious Minds

Sentimental

Just Close Your Eyes

Say It Isn’t So

Thinking Out Loud

Angel on my Shoulder

What My Heart Wants To Say

Unchained Melody

Summer of 69

Livin On A Prayer

Spirit In The Sky

:jump::jump::jump::jump:

Thanks so much Val - I can't stop watching 'Thinking out Loud' - Gareth sings it beautifully and I love watching him play the keyboards! :thumbsup:

It's a great video and the angle from which it was taken, makes it easy to see Gareth playing the piano.

Fab videos and the lighting is great.

Thks.