Gareth in Panto 2015 at Crewe ( Cheshire)

Yorksheather

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is great news for Gareth.

He very obviously enjoys playing Prince Charming and as many reports would have us believe, he gets paid very well for the honour too.

I notice he has changed Pantomine Companies so wonder why this is?

(I think there will be one very delighted member on here too)

Thought it important that we saved on here the incredible write up for Gareth from the Pantomine Co:

Gareth Gates and Keith Harris announced as stars of Cinderella at Crewe Lyceum Theatre

Crewe Lyceum has announced that pop sensation Gareth Gates will star as The Prince in the Theatre’s spectacular family pantomime Cinderella, alongside legendary entertainer Keith Harris and his friends Orville and Cuddles.

Gareth Gates rose to stardom in 2002 as runner-up in the UK’s first Pop Idol. In a phenomenal career which followed he has sold more than 3.5 million records in the UK, released three albums and had four UK number 1 singles. Gareth’s international fame has also seen him named as Best International Male in Asia, China and Taiwan.

Alongside his pop career Gareth has been seen on ITV1’s Dancing on Ice, the widely praised documentary Stop my Stutter for BBC Three and more recently on The Big Reunion 2014 for ITV.

Gareth’s theatre career has seen him play the role of Marius in the 25th anniversary tour of of Les Misérables for Sir Cameron Mackintosh, and star in Loserville at West Yorkshire Playhouse and the UK tours of Legally Blonde and Boogie Nights the Musical. Ahead of pantomime, Gareth’s autumn tour of Mad About the Musicals will see him perform at Crewe Lyceum on Friday 23 October alongside Michael Courtney.

Keith Harris is no stranger to Crewe Lyceum, having been part of the star line-up who re-launched the Theatre under HQ Theatres & Hospitality’s management at a celebratory Gala in 2013. In Cinderella Keith will be accompanied by his cheeky creations, Orville and Cuddles, with whom Keith has starred in every major theatre throughout the UK, including two pantomime seasons at the London Palladium and at the Dominion Theatre. This will be Keith’s 44th pantomime appearance, having made his panto debut at the age of just nine.

Executive Producer of Cinderella, Jonathan Kiley, said “We are thrilled to have such an impressive cast already confirmed for our Crewe Lyceum pantomime. Bringing together the singing and stage talent of Gareth Gates with the unmissable comedy of renowned ventriloquist, Keith Harris, guarantees another first-class show for Cheshire audiences”.

Gordon Millar, Director of Crewe Lyceum Theatre, said: “As the host of Cheshire’s biggest pantomime we’re delighted to welcome singing superstar Gareth Gates and comedy legend Keith Harris to the Lyceum this Christmas. With six shows already nearing a sell-out Cinderella is quickly proving why Crewe Lyceum’s pantomime is a beloved festive tradition for families across the region.”
Cinderella is produced by Qdos Entertainment, the world’s biggest pantomime producer, the company behind the last two hugely successful pantomimes at the Theatre, most recently Jack and the Beanstalk starring Lisa Riley and Brendan Sheerin.

Cinderella at Crewe Lyceum Theatre runs form Saturday 12 December 2015 to Sunday 3 January 2016. For tickets and information visit crewelyceum.co.uk or call 01270 368 242.

BOOK TICKETS HERE :thumbsup:https://crewelyceum.co.uk/online/crewe-pantomime

(I think there will be one very delighted member on here too)

I think you might mean me :thumbsup:

I should have made a comment sooner! I was completely shocked yesterday when I read the tweet - never have I imagined that Gareth would ever do a panto here. Last time - when travelling to Croydon - I wondered where he would be this Christmas and hoped that it might be somewhere a bit North of London, like Milton Keynes or St Albans. This however is almost unbelievable - keep having to pinch myself to check that I'm not dreaming! It is only a three-week run though which is the shortest he has done in panto. It will be amazing not to have to travel so far this time.

Gareth is also at the Lyceum in October for 'Mad About The Musicals' tour - it must be my lucky year.

I think you might mean me :thumbsup:

Yep, think I might!

It's absolutely brilliant news for you. Am delighted for you.

However, have you considered how you are going to spend all this extra time without planning those long journeys, those finding car parking, those finding venues and then those long journeys home in the early hours, with your goodies to keep you going, on those lonesome roads?

Gareth is also at the Lyceum in October for 'Mad About The Musicals' tour - it must be my lucky year.

It certainly must be.

How lucky that you will be able to see him in two completely different roles.

I didn't realise how close Crewe was to Birmingham Maria :o

Coach Fares here currently £10 http://coachfairer.com/bus-companies/national-express/coaches-from-birmingham-coach-station-to-crewe.html

Rail Fares special offers with considerable savings if booked 12 weeks in advance: http://raileasy.co.uk/home/cheap-train-tickets?utm_source=google&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=cheap_train_tickets_rms_page

• 1 month later...

It is very sad news.

This morning Chris Evans did a little tribute to him and people contacted the station giving their memories. The best ten were read out and number 1 was they had seen Keith Harris with his grandaughter watching some pigeons. He managed to 'throw his voice' (being a ventriloquist) making it appear the pigeons could talk :wub: . How endearing is this?

GPG's little tribute to him:

I note that the panto news has gone from Gareth's Official Site (although still listed on the events dates listing)

This may be in respect to Keith Harris.

Not sure if anyone already booked for the panto can check with Gareth's management that Gareth will still be appearing.

I emailed Gareth's management the other day and I got an email back today saying, Yes he is, we were just asked to remove the press release as it contained Keith Harris who sadly died last week.

Maria thanks so much for doing this. It's good to know that Gareth will still be appearing.

It does mean people can now book with confidence.

Thanks to Gareth's management for replying too.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

This is a nice interview:

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Pop-Idol-star-Gareth-Gates-set-panto-season-Crewe/story-27803429-detail/story.html

"HE'S outside, filming behind the Jurassic Golf." Not words you commonly here on a Tuesday morning trip to Bridgemere Garden World. But then again, it's not every garden centre that has Gareth Gates in among the chrysanths. Or, for that matter, two ugly sisters milling round the restaurant.

Gareth is Prince Charming in Crewe Lyceum's production of Cinderella. The singer, who finished runner-up to Will Young in Pop Idol 2002, is looking forward to getting to know the area.

"Christmas can't come soon enough," rejoices Gareth. "I've never performed at the Lyceum before. My daughter is six. She can't wait to see daddy as the prince and I'll have her up here lots.

Crewe appeals in other ways. "I'm a northern lad myself, from Yorkshire" he says. "I've always done panto down south, so I'm really looking forward to doing a northern one. The audiences up north are much more rowdy and involved, and I like that side of things.

Gareth, a former choral singer, sprang to fame on the ITV reality show. Audiences were astonished to see how he overcame an otherwise debilitating stammer when he sang.

In recent years, the 31-year-old has embarked on the McGuire Programme, a dedicated schemeicon1.png to aid stammerers through controlled breathing. He has a speech coach with him at Bridgemere. The result is he's branching into more speaking roles.

"I still struggle with speech," he explains. "But I love the challenge of a speaking role. I find interviews like this much more of a challenge than being on a stage in front of thousands of people."

That ease comes from being, effectivelyicon1.png, a different person. "As the prince I hold myself in a different way, speak in a different way, and that helps a lot. It's the same with the singing.

"I'm a showman and as soon as the lights go on, I'm fine. I still have ups and downs.

"However, it's roles like this where I think, 'I have to be able to speak now', which force me to work on my speech."

In fact, for a man who has sold thousands of records and appeared in the West End, it's worth noting how much pride he takes in raising awareness of stammering.

"It's one of my greatest achievements," he ponders. "I hadn't met another stammerer before going on the McGuire Programme, and that was a very lonely place for me. When you finally meet other stammerers you feel, 'Oh, there are other people out there like me'."

No hesitation in the best thing about playing Prince Charming. "You always get the girl." Crewe, prepare for romance!

• 2 weeks later...