Gareth in Panto 2015 at Crewe ( Cheshire)

Yorksheather

Was lucky enough to go to the first performance of the Panto today.

It was Fab, fab, fab.

I laughed and laughed till my face ached.

All the cast were fantastic.

Gareth was great. He spoke in his posh voice with his air of dinstinction.

He was very funny too.

For anyone going watch out for the romantic scene on the wall!

No photos were allowed but these stars have appeared on Twitter

CWCaMU9WoAApstk.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After barely two weeks of rehearsals, the first performance of Cinderella at Crewe was stunning from start to finish with only a small wardrobe malfunction which left Cinderella having to clutch her skirt around her for part of one scene. There was so much to keep everyone entertained - the songs were all ones that the children knew, the humour was hilarious, amusing both young and old(er), and the main cast were all experienced performers (in panto, on stage and TV). Buttons, played by Andy Booth, was excellent being well-cast and delivering everything the role demands with skill and energy. Jimmy Tamley, as Baron Hardup, used his ventriloquism skills to great effect even getting two (adult) audience members involved. As well as Cinderella, Dandini, the Ugly Sisters and the Fairy Godmother, the on-stage company was completed by a group of dancers and also a team of children - everyone playing their part admirably. (I should never have doubted Crewe's ability to put on an outstanding show.)

Whoops! I've missed someone out. Gareth looked stunning as Prince Charming (and don't worry his hair was 'delicious' after his trip to the hairdressers). He is such a wonderful performer, portraying the regality of his role, total fluency in his lines, excellent comic timing (there was one sketch in particular that made us laugh until our faces ached) and beautiful singing. He did sound a bit hoarse though and his voice wasn't very dominant in group numbers. It was wonderful to see him performing in my local theatre.

It was lovely to have the company of Chris, Yvonne, Val and Doris this time - the only dampener (literally) being the constant heavy rain. After the show I was the only one of us prepared to brave the wait at the stage door (where I met Anne and Peter who were going to the evening show). Just as we were beginning to decide we should give up Gareth appeared with Alice Baker (Cinderella). He gave us hugs and indicated that he couldn't speak (which Alice confirmed and which explains the hoarseness I mention earlier). I got the impression that he was on complete vocal rest between performances. I had a few words with him and he replied amazingly well using just hand gestures and facial expressions! Then they went off to get something to eat, presumably, before the evening show.

I'm going again, with my daughter, next Saturday and then I'll be able to tell you the songs Gareth sang - she's much better at recognising them than I am. It was a thoroughly entertaining panto - including shetland ponies as can be seen in Chris' post above.

What a great write up Lindajan.

I forgot to say thankyou to Yvonne (who organises my train travel with precision), Valr and Dorral (it was so good to meet up again) and of course Linda who never let a minute to chance because she made sure we were ferried and directed the whole of the time.

Of course we missed Val who continues to recover but next year Val - no excuses!

Whoops! I've missed someone out. Gareth looked stunning as Prince Charming (and don't worry his hair was 'delicious' after his trip to the hairdressers). He is such a wonderful performer, portraying the regality of his role, total fluency in his lines, excellent comic timing (there was one sketch in particular that made us laugh until our faces ached) and beautiful singing. He did sound a bit hoarse though and his voice wasn't very dominant in group numbers. It was wonderful to see him performing in my local theatre.

With all the travelling you do round the country to see Gareth it is wonderful Christmas present that he is just round the corner (well sort of).

Thank you Chris and Linda for your great reports of what sounded like a fantastic show.

I missed being with you all too Chris. Hopefully next year will be back to my normal buzzing around the country again. These Christmas meet-ups have always been so special too. Glad you all enjoyed the day.

How could I have forgotten to say how gorgeous Gareth looked in his costumes as Prince Charming - I hope that someone manages to get some photos of him in character or that Gareth himself posts some piccies. On the whole I was very impressed by the costumes for the entire cast. Also it seemed that Gareth was getting in some practice for his role in Footloose, as he did quite a bit of dancing in the panto - don't believe him when he says he can't dance, he performed brilliantly. Dancing may not come naturally to him and we know he isn't a trained dancer, but his natural rhythm and his willingness to put in hours of rehearsal result in faultless routines.

Also remembered that Gareth sang an edited version of Unchained Melody (edited so that he didn't have to hit the high note). The theme of time going so slowly was portrayed by others in the cast, in the background, passing the slipper between them in slow motion. Amazingly I noticed this as most of the time Gareth is on stage my eyes are riveted on him and I forget to look at what is happening on the rest of the stage!

Thanks Linda for organising our lovely day in a very wet Crewe! I loved the Panto, the funniest one I've seen so far and all the cast, especially Buttons and of course Gareth, were excellent! I must admit to not knowing some of the songs but the group of Brownies behind us knew every word to every song and were very vocal throughout - Doris and my ears were ringing!!

It was good to see a full house for the first show, the atmosphere was amazing.

Great to meet up with you all and hoping to see you with us Val very soon.

Love ValR xx

Thank you so much for the great review, I'm going on Saturday cannot wait... Taking me 3year old too see Gareth for the first time she's been waiting for this for months...keeps asking when she gets to see him in real!! xx

I hope you and your Daughter have a fantastic time on Saturday Kirsty. I'm sure neither of you will be disappointed. :thumbsup:

Great to meet up with you all and hoping to see you with us Val very soon.

Thanks Val. I hope so too.

Valr I didn't know the songs either which I am quite dissapointed with as I pride myself on knowing what is in the charts. Turns back to Radio 1!!

Kirsty there was a little 3 year old sat in front of us and he loved it.

There is a great review in:

http://thenantwichnews.co.uk/2015/12/13/review-cinderella-panto-launches-at-crewe-lyceum/ :thumbsup:

L-R-Darren-Southworth-Gareth-Gates-Richa

Magic was in the air at Crewe when the Christmas pantomime season kicked off at The Lyceum, writes Claire Faulkner.

A packed theatre was treated to festive fun with the classic story of ‘Cinderella’.

Full of music, dance and comedy, the show had the audience laughing from start to finish.

Directed by Stewart Nicholls, this entertaining show is everything a panto should be.

From the outrageously funny costumes of the ugly sisters, to energetic dance numbers and slap-stick comedy routines.

The cast did a fantastic job.

Gareth Gates is wonderful ‘Prince Charming’ and the audience clearly adored him.

Cast opposite is Alice Baker as ‘Cinderella’, who has an amazing voice.

The opening night, however, belonged to Adam C Booth who plays a fantastic ‘Buttons’ (pictured, below).

He was funny throughout the show, entertaining and engaging with the audience for the entire time.

Adam-C-Booth-as-Buttons-Cinderella-panto

One of the best scenes has to be when ‘Prince Charming’ tries to serenade ‘Cinderella’ while sitting on a wall with ‘Buttons’ continually getting in the way.

Beautifully staged, with spot on comic timing.

It was a five-star classic panto moment. The audience loved it.

If you’re lucky enough to be going to see ‘Cinderella’, watch out for Jimmy Tamley as ‘Baron Hardup’ during the audience participation section – I do hope the volunteers have recovered!

An entertaining show, suitable for the whole family, with festive surprises and lots of laughs.

‘Cinderella’ is showing at The Crewe Lyceum Theatre until Sunday January 3.

For ticket details visit the website www.crewelyceum.co.uk

(Pictures courtesy of Wes Webster Photography)

Thank you so much for your very detailed report Linda :) was lovely to read, glad you had had a brilliant time which i knew you would :) i must admit though I'm feeling worried about his hoarse throat as While its understandable he's probably still recovering from his injury or it could be a general sore throat but I just worry about it happening again, his voice is far to precious for that, not that any singer deserves a vocal injury but still.

Maria am sure Gareth is taking as much care of his voice as he can. It must be a constant worry for him but he continues to forge ahead.

There is another review in:

http://www.crewechronicle.co.uk/news/cinderella-the-review-10597190

It is the most popular panto of all - The one where the poor girl gets her gladrags on, bags the man of her dreams and lives happily ever after.

Cinderella opened to a very excitable audience at Crewe’s Lyceum Theatre on Saturday after months of anticipation.

Pop Idol Gareth Gates is at the top of the bill, joined by a great cast including comedy ventriloquist Jimmy Tamley as Baron Hardup and Keith Lemon’s brother Gregory aka Adam C Booth as Buttons.

Pantomimes in Crewe have always been popular, but ever since Qdos took over, they have been getting better and better. I already had the privilege of a sneaky peak prior to opening night and got chance to speak to one or two of the very talented people behind the magic,

Back again this year is choreographer Thomas Spratt. Thomas, who has worked in the West End, returns after last year’s successful Jack in the Beanstalk to create another set of wonderful dances, brought to life by a great ensemble. A talented set of ‘babes’ including an adorable male babe from Crewe based YSD Theatre School, complete the cute factor.

From the offset the panto was hilarious, largely due to ugly sisters Rita and Cheryl who certainly have the X Factor. Their on stage partnership was just fantastic to watch and their costumes and charisma are captivating. Their opening number certainly made the audience go ‘Gaga’ and the fact the panto has a live band, for the first time, made it even more special.

LPR_CRE_141215PANTO_04.jpg

Jimmy Tamley as Baron Hardup also added that touch of magic. His ‘friends’ were perfect in engaging the younger members of the audience and without giving too much away, the special audience participation section left me with tears rolling.

Gareth’s voice doesn’t disappoint nor does Alice Baker’s as Cinderella. The two of them made a magical on stage couple and Gareth’s rendition of Unchained Melody reminds us of why he did, and continues to do so well.

But the star of the show for me was Adam C Booth as Buttons. He was a real treat. Funny, charming and everything you would expect from the character, and more.

There’s a fab little scene with Cinders, Buttons and the Prince which again, adds a touch of something special.

LPR_CRE_141215PANTO_01.jpg

Other treats for the evening included, the live band (worth another mention) and the real Shetland Ponies, one of which made my teenager’s evening when it left a steaming present on stage for the cast to avoid.

Cinderella goes to the ball and of course gets her man, and we got a fab evening of entertainment.

I may even return again with the kids before the end of its run - just as long I'm back before midnight!

Tickets are still on sale from the box office on 01270 368242 or via the websitewww.crewelyceum.co.uk

Guest NicolaJayne

Loved your write up Linda, but very concerned about Gareths throat, hope it's not a reacurrence of his throat injury, lots of germs around this time of year. It sounds a brilliant panto but couldn't be anything else with Gareth in it.

Thank you also Chris for the article and pics from the panto. Means so much to me this year as I am not able to go. Hope that press night went well tonight.

Thanks for all the information Chris - interested to hear that Buttons played by Adam C Booth is Keith Lemons brother - I thought he was fantastic, very, very funny and my highlight was also when Prince Charming, Cinderella and Buttons were on the wall - hilarious!!

Thanks for another great review Val, I love Up Town Funk , not Fluer's version , it was used at in school production , which my daughter put on , I had the song in my mind for days, and the children loved it.

Val R ,I searched Adam C Booth, as I was unsure , and was surprised at all the stuff he has been in , including Foot Loose , he must be a very talented man .

Wow.. What a great time we had at the show today, it really is a great show! And if just because Gareth's in it! All the cast and sets and really good! I had hoped Gareth would have been on stage and sang alittle more, but heyho that's what happeneds when he has to share the stage!! He was great as always and I am always mesmorised how well Gareths speech is when he's in character really is amazing!! His voice was still brilliant and if you don't know Gareth like we do you wouldn't have known any different!! Too me he didn't sound croaky but he was defiantly holding back! To normal! I really hope He fully recovers! My husband has never seen Gareth before and he was pleasantly surprised with both Gareth and the panto! My 3year old daughter lottie loved it but couldn't get her head around when Gareth wasn't on stage and just kept asking for Gareth.....he definitely has a new little fan!! When we got back to the car lottie asked me if next time I see Gareth I would take her too!

During the interval I went to ask reception if it would be possible to have a photo with Gareth after, she asked another guy who just said no then she continued to say he's a very quiet and shy person, who keeps himself private! To which I replied Gareth is always happy to meet his fans! She just looked at me and told be where the stage door was but said he Prob wouldn't come out!

After the show we got back in the car and pulled up at the stage door! A man came I out to say Gareth Prob wouldn't be comming out until after the evening show! I got lottie out and we waited around so a short while, where I got to meet a few of you guys for the first time.... I get a little confused who's who on what site less u hAve your pic up...It felt alittle awkward as i am just a stranger but was lovely to finally meet and hope we do again!i think it's lovely how you guys have other Gareth fans to go with! Hope you enjoyed the show as much the second time and got to see Gareth! After around 15mins of waiting we got back in the car, I decided to wait alittle longer as its been a while since I last met Gareth and also lottie really wanted too! Unfortunately he never came out and with only 20min before the next show I decided he wasn't going to come out and headed home! Gutted we didn't get a photo but had a lovely time! Going to try and squeeze another visit again before it ends although its a 4hr round trip it's well worth it! I managed to get a few cheeky pics at the end but they are not to great as didn't want to get caught!i don't know how you upload them onto here though Xxx