Mad About The Musicals Spring 2016 Tour

Yorksheather

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Chris,

I spoke to them and they said the tickets had been sent out but If I hadn't received them it's not a problem as everthing is on the system and I just have to go to the box office on the night with something with my address on and they'll print new tickets out.

I'm going away next week and not back until 26th April so glad it's sorted before I go.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this on Facebook just a few moments ago..

WIN 2 TICKETS TO A SHOW OF YOUR CHOICE ON THE 2016 MAD ABOUT THE MUSICALS TOUR LIST (In the event that your choice is sold out you will need to pick another venue)
All you have to do is like this post, like our page then share the post. Winner will be contact on the 23rd April. Offer closes at midnight on 22nd April 2016.

MAD ABOUT THE MUSICALS ...STARRING GARETH GATES AND MIKE COURTNEY, KATE SMIDDY, ROSANNE PRIEST AND KERRY ODOWD …
BOOKING NOW AT 44 THEATRES FROM AROUND THE UK
For more information and full tour list details seewww.michaelcourtney.co.uk ....

Nice chat to Gareth here

http://www.espmag.co.uk/musicals-gareth-gates/

Gareth-Gten2.jpg
ESP CHATS TO GARETH GATES ABOUT HIS PETERBOROUGH SHOW0
April 27, 2016 Featured
ESP’s Sarah Tempest catches up with singer Gareth Gates ahead of his appearance at The Cresset…

Gareth-Mad-About-The-Musicals-Gareth-GatIt’s incredible to think that it’s 15 years since the nation took a certain spiky haired, stammering, young singer to their hearts but, despite not winning, Gareth Gates has come a long way from Pop Idol runner up. And now, the dizzy heights of his career are all set to bring him here to Peterborough as he performs in his latest show, Mad About The Musicals at The Cresset in June, and he admits he’s very excited by the prospect!

“I first did the show last year and we had so much fun, we decided to do it all over again!” he laughs, clearly looking forward to it. “It’s a brilliant show, perfect for any lover of musical theatre as we feature some of the most loved songs from shows such as Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables and more modern shows too.” But Gareth insists the show is not just for dyed in the wool fans of Andrew Lloyd Webber and Michael Ball, “There’s great mixture of music with pieces from the 1950s right up to a section from We Will Rock You so, really, it’s great for music lovers of all ages.”

But the diversity of the music brings its own challenge, particularly as Gareth had to have surgery on his vocal chords at the end of last year. “Changing your voice to sing the different styles of songs can be really challenging but it’s like any athlete, you have to practice and warm up properly and, thankfully, I’m fine now.” And it’s a good job because there’s one song he’s particularly looking forward to performing; “I did Les Mis 5 years ago and that show particularly holds lovely memories for me so I’m particularly looking forward to singing [the super emosh] Empty Chairs at Empty Tables.” Let’s just hope Bretton Sainbury’s have stocked up on tissues!

But as well as being a singer and musical theatre actor, Gareth has many other talents such as skating (he came 4th on ITV’s Dancing on Ice), he’s a qualified McGuire Method speech coach, after learning the method to successfully manage his own stammer and he’s now a successful entrepreneur with his own performing arts academies and his latest business venture, coconut tea, which is not as bizarre as it sounds!Gareth-WE-WILL-ROCK-YOU-225x300.jpg

“I’ve never been able to drink normal tea or coffee because of the caffeine,” he explains, “so the only hot drinks I could have were hot water or herbal stuff. Coconut is huge at the moment with coconut water and coconut oil being huge on the market so I had this idea to create a hot coconut drink. We only launched in April and we’ve had lots of interest so watch this space!”

So with his business interests and his back to back musical career (he’s coming out of Footloose, into Mad About The Musicals and back into Footloose before opening in panto later this year, phew!), how does he find time for his 6-year-old daughter Missy and girlfriend Fay, especially as she’s currently starring as Kate Connor in Corrie. “It’s not easy, but you make it work,” he says. “I see my daughter lots and lots and she’s constantly on the road with me too. She’s showing real signs of following in my footsteps; she’s all singing all dancing!” But he laughs at suggestions that romantic evenings with his girlfriend are now meeting at motorway service stations, gazing at each other over a microwaved Ginsters. “We’re slightly more glamorous than that! It helps that her Corrie schedule is only five days a week so she comes to me wherever I am and we spend any time off together.”

But time off is a rare thing for busy Mr Gates and he says he never has any free time to himself. But when pushed (I offered to wave my magic wand and give him the afternoon off, well, you never know!) he has to have a long think about how he’d spend an unexpected free afternoon.

“I’d sit in a room, all by myself and come up with more business ideas,” he laughs. And from the man with the vision for coconut brew, we don’t doubt it.

Mad About The Musicals is coming to The Cresset on May 20. Call the box office for tickets on 01733 265705.

Lovely Q&A session with Gareth

http://www.theatreroyal.org/mad-about-the-musicals-gareth-gates-qa/

Mad About The Musicals – Gareth Gates Q&A Posted on May 3, 2016

We asked Gareth so you don’t have to..

Q): So you are visiting us with Mad About The Musicals. Tell us about the first ever musical you appeared in – at school/drama club etc? What did you play and how did it go?
A): I played the role of ‘Joseph’ in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat at the age of eight in my first school production and it was here my love of theatre began. I then went on to play the role in the West End for Andrew Lloyd Webber some 17 years later.

Q): What was your first ‘professional’ musical theatre job? Was it post Pop Idol?
A): My first professional theatre job was the lead in Joseph, in the West End, post Pop Idol and just after I did Dancing on Ice. It was actually the first role I played in school too – so from the school stage to the West end was an ambition fulfilled!

Q): What’s your favourite musical of all time?
A): Les Miserables! I had the privilege of playing ‘Marius’ both on tour and in the West End of London. The music and dialogue is both moving and epic. It has a very special place in my heart.

Q): Can you tell us how you got involved with the show and what people can expect on the night?
A): It’s a show that will appeal to many people, as even if you don’t know the individual musicals, you will probably know the songs. There has been some amazing music to come out of theatre shows in the last few decades, so we will be paying homage to them. Some shows I have appeared in and some will be new songs for me to sign, which is what I’m looking forward to

Q): There’s a lot of Banter between you and your co-stars in Mad About The Musicals. Is comedy something you enjoy?
A): I love comedy – people think if you have a stutter you can’t be funny – when I am actually!.. I love playing jokes, the comedy role I have in Footloose – and yes I do love a bit of banter!

Q): Tell us a funny backstage story…
A): I’ve had it all: from open zips on trousers, to forgetting lyrics! But the most mortifying experience was singing the ‘Heart Full Of Love’ duet in Les Miserables without a leading lady present! She missed her entry and so I sang the song to myself!

Q): What has the highlight of your career been to date?
A): Getting to number 1 for the first time was a highlight for me. Theatre wise, it would have to be playing Marius in Les Mis. Such an epic show and it was a honour to be a part of it.

Q): What would your dream gig be?
A): Valjean – Les Mis – when I look old enough!!

Q): What did you want to be when you were a kid?
A): I always wanted to be involved in music. As a child I was never able to speak, and so music became my only form of expression. From then I knew that music was all I wanted in life. I began to play the piano and guitar from a very young age and sang in many choirs and bands. Music was all I wanted to be surrounded by.

Q): What was the first musical you ever saw and how old were you?
A): The first musical I ever saw was The King and I ! It came to the Bradford Alhambra and I went to see it with my mum. A few months later I auditioned to play one of the Siamese children… I got the part and made my debut performance on the very same stage!

Q): Top 5 Show Tunes? And Why?
A): 1. Why God Why – Miss Saigon. I love the pull between Chris’s head and heart. Genius writing my Boubil and Schonberg.
2. Empty Chairs – Brings back all those lovely memories of singing this song night and after night when I did the show. It’s a very moving sing as Marius talks about his lost friends.
3. Mama Says – I’m currently touring with Footloose the Musical. I’m playing the role of Willard. Willards song is Mama says. It’s a goofy song and I can mess around a little!
4. Heaven on Their Minds – Jesus Christ superstar. I sing this song in the show. It’s a very passionate song and requires me to really sing!! I love it though!
5. Defying Gravity – Wicked. Of all the modern day musicals, wicked really captured the imagination of theatre goers. Stephen Schwartz really broke the mould when writing this and changed the face of modern theatre.

Q): What do you love most about performing live on stage?
A): It’s great to connect with an audience live. And when I’m singing I don’t have a stutter!. I can connect with an audience through music, which I love.

Q): The X-Factor or The Voice? Which do you watch?
A): I hardly ever get the chance to watch them as I’m always on stage ! But I try and watch the X Factor when I can – it’s the closest to Pop Idol so I’ll always have an interest in it – once you’ve been on the show, you just have to watch it!

Q): You famously said you have Two Left Feet! Will we ever see you on Strictly Come Dancing?
A): I would love to do Strictly. This year I’ve been in the musical Footloose and the scariest thing was doing a solo dance scene – but after a lot of work, I’m pretty good actually even I do say so! Maybe there is hope for me yet!

Q): On tour, what are the must-pack items in your suitcase?
A): my iphone, ipad, MAC – all appled up. As well as my weights – I like to stay in shape, lots of healthy food. I eat a lot of protein. And of course my new coconut tea! And my girlfriend Faye, if it’s the weekend and she’s not filming in Corrie – I miss her as we are both working a lot!

Q): You have a new venture – Coconut Tea. Tell us a little about it?
A): I can’t drink caffeine – it gives me migraines.. And I gave up drinking alcohol for quite a long time when I lost my voice a couple of years ago. I drink only occasionally now – so I basically invented the drink I wanted to drink! I love coconut water – but people always say ‘would you like a cup of tea’ and I don’t drink it.. And I’m not a hug lover of a lot of the herbal ones on the market. So I made my own. Called Cuppanut, it’s fresh, all natural, no caffeine and tastes amazing!

Q): What does your daughter Missy think of you being a performer and has she seen you in Mad About The Musicals?
A): Missy has to come and see everything I’m in. As many times as she can! She sees all my shows, so hopefully she will come to this leg of the tour as well.

Mad About the Musicals is with us on Thursday 16 June at 7.30pm tickets £22.00 – £10.00

Click here to book tickets.

Thanks Val that's a really good question and answer even though we knew a lot of them already. I didn't realise Gareth had virtually given up drinking, I think Faye has been a good influence there as we all know how much he liked to 'party' a few years ago!

That review is ok (just about) Val. Would have preferred a more glowing one. Hopefully we will get some from Warrington tonight. :whistle:

Good to read the Questions and Answers.

I would have thought alcohol is the first thing Gareth would have to refrain from when have voice/throat problems.

Let's hope he enjoys the occasional drink now and of course his Cuppanutea.

He keeps mentioning Strictly doesn't he?

Hi,

I went to see MATM at Warrington last Thursday. It was a beautiful day which rather made up for the problems on the M6. Luckily I'd already worked out an alternative route because I knew there were roadworks causing delays, so when the motorway was closed I was prepared. I arrived before 4pm but had been worried for much of the journey that the MATM team might have got stuck somewhere. Anyway after walking through Warrington and checking where I wanted to park later, I found myself very close to the venue where I was pleased to see vans and the minibus parked outside and could hear sounds from inside Parr Hall of the band (warming-up/rehearsing/doing a sound-check?). I then went back to my car at around 5pm to move to another car park. (If you are ever in Warrington do NOT try to drive at rush-hour!) There was a silver lining though - because it took so long to drive the short distance to the car park, I was able to park on the road very near the venue instead.

Gareth's new car was parked outside by this time, so I knew that he was there too. It looks very smart and I noticed several people giving it admiring glances (even openly staring at it) as they passed. It was lovely to meet up with Val and Doris before the show and also to chat during the interval and afterwards (thanks for your company). For some reason this show had not sold very well, the hall was probably less than half full (other venues have done very much better). I must say though that in my walk around the town I did not see any posters advertising the show (there was one outside the venue, which isn't on a busy thoroughfare). The seating in the stalls was on the level (I was on the third row) but was surprised by the height of the stage, we thought we'd only be able to see the tops of their heads! It turned out to be OK, although I've no idea what shoes Gareth was wearing.

The show is almost the same as last year, starting with Gareth (looking very dashing in his suit, black shirt and bow tie) singing 'One Night Only' during which he is joined by the rest of the cast. The only difference is that Nichola Lagan (the blonde one) has been replaced by Kate Smiddy (another blonde one). I posted a set list for the previous part of the tour, so I'll just mention the changes (I don't think that all of these are permanent). The following songs were not performed:

'Now'

'Granada'

'We Are The Champions'

'Empty Chairs At Empty Tables'

all but the first being songs that Gareth features heavily in, also Gareth did not take the lead in 'Hammer To Fall'. Additions were:

'Take Me As I Am' (Jekyll and Hyde) performed by Michael and Rosanne (in place of 'Now', I think)

'A New Life' (Jekyll and Hyde) performed by Kate

In general, Kate was a straight replacement for Nichola, except that it was Kerry who performed 'Maybe This Time'. I think, and hope, that some of the omissions are because Gareth's still suffering from his cold (I'm sure I've read somewhere that he has performed 'Empty Chairs' on this tour). However he sounded fantastic when he sang and you wouldn't have known that he had any problems. The whole show was great once more. Gareth must be missing the dancing from 'Footloose' though because he started dancing in 'One Night Only' (along with the girls) and tried to get Michael involved. Whilst the girls have lots of costume changes, Gareth just changes to a white shirt and straight black tie for the second half.

When we left after the show, Gareth's car had disappeared although we couldn't see how he could have left so quickly. After a while there was a small group waiting in the foyer and just outside. Then one of the theatre staff said that Gareth doesn't usually come out and ushered everyone outside - we still waited. A few minutes later Gareth, Karen and some of the technical crew came out. Gareth happily chatted to, signed programmes and had photos with everyone. He confirmed to me that his voice problems are because of his cold. His beard looks OK, although I'm not that keen on beards and prefer the clean-shaven look - he's still stunningly handsome though!

It was a brilliant evening not even marred by my foolishness in returning home on the M6 and getting delayed by lane closures. I can't get enough of this show - so I'm going again on Friday in Telford!

Linda xx

What a lovely report to wake up to Linda.

Have been desperate to know how Warrington went for everyone.

Seems there are a few song changes then? I wonder why no 'Granada' as I loved that song?

I am not sure Michael himself has advertised the tour well. A great opportunity being missed by linking the tour on his site to the actual venues. Unfortunately nowadays we need to be spoon fed our ability to book.

(I do think Footloose is a great role model for advertising)

Now the big question- Who moved Gareth's car???

Thanks again Linda for a great report. Enjoy Telford.

Thanks for the report Linda, you're much better than I am at these things as I just get caught up in watching and don't register who's singing what!

As Linda said, Gareth's voice was excellent and even though it wasn't a large audience they were very vocal, especially for Gareth and there was a standing ovation and lots of cheering at the end.

Very envious of you going to Telford Linda, I'm hoping to see it again at some point but not sure where.

Love Val xx