Footloose the Musical Tour Reviews.

eternal

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NicolaJayne

Gareth has really impressed with this show, it's a brilliant review but love this bit

"Undoubtedly the selling point of this show for many is Gareth Gates and he certainly doesn't let you down! He embodies Ren's country bumpkin best friend Willard wonderfully, showcasing both his vocal talents and acting skills. Gareth certainly got the biggest applause of the night when he rocked nothing but some gold hot-pants and a cowboy hat, but he isn't just a novelty cast member, he really holds his own in this professional performance."

His acting talents have really excelled beyond belief in Footloose.

Guest NicolaJayne

Another brilliant review, thank you Heather. It is a brilliant review. Gareth is getting many credits for this show, and is certainly the crowd puller.

Just to say I hope the phishing is soon sorted as at the moment I can only reply to topics and not post new ones.

I am now getting my e- mails through after the letter came from virgin media to say my account may have been used to send spam e-mails likely because I have accessed a website that has been compromised. I have now had to change my password but a bit nervous that it could happen again. I can't even send pm's on here as they disappear when I post them.

Here is another review:

http://www.theargus.co.uk/leisure/critic/14644561.Footloose__Theatre_Royal_Brighton__Monday__July_25/

★★★★

Time to “kick off your Sunday shoes” as Footloose bursts on to stage in a rock n roll musical perfectly embodying the spirit of youth and rebellion.

Based on the 1984 film starring Kevin Bacon, Footloose tells the story of Chicago city boy Ren McCormack who is forced to move to Bomont, a small American rural town where he challenges the local preacher over his no dancing rule, a rule Ren cannot resist breaking.

It’s packed with 80s’ nostalgia, musical numbers include classic hits Holding Out For A Hero, Let’s Hear It For The Boy, Almost Paradise and title track Footloose.

Luke Baker portrays Ren’s teen angst, frustration and passion confidently with a dash of Bacon’s charisma and shares plentiful chemistry with the reverend’s not-so-innocent daughter Ariel, played with aplomb by Hannah Price, as they shake up the dance-fearing community.

The 2001 Pop Idol runner-up Gareth Gates plays lovable village idiot Willard, who forms a firm friendship with Ren.

Gates performs with enthusiasm, strong vocals and great comic timing, dabbling successfully in slapstick.

His appearance in just hot pants and cowboy boots gains one of the biggest cheers of the night.

Nigel Lister is perfect as old-fashioned but conflicted Reverend Shaw Moore, grieving over the death of his son.

And Maureen Nolan gives an emotional performance as his wife Vi, complete with a beautiful rendition of Can You Find It In Your Heart.

The stage was a little cramped but the high-kicking choreography was energetic and enjoyable.

Dancing may be banned in Bomont but this fast-paced musical cannot fail to get the audience tapping their feet.

The film’s transition into a musical works fantastically with the lively score being played out on stage by the talented cast, many playing multiple instruments.

Their infectious enthusiasm ensures the audience leaves with smiles on their faces.

I think the last line of the review is exactly how I felt when I left the theatre. A permanent smile.

Thanks Val, its brilliant. :) Love this especially :

Gates’ portrayal of Ren’s best mate Willard has to be seen to be believed. His awkwardness makes him extremely loveable - but it is just a shame we don’t get to hear a bit more of his undeniably great voice.

The good reviews are flowing in from Bristol

http://www.theftr.co.uk/footloose-bristol-hippodrome-and-touring/

Gareth Gates is a pleasant surprise in the delightfully comic role of Willard, charming us all in and out of his dungarees, with a ripped body and a voice that has matured well since his Pop Idol days 14 years ago. He brings a vulnerable delicacy yet great style to Mama Says, and his attempts to learn to dance are very well observed.

I feel the same too about the singing, although I love him in this role he needs to get his vocal cord recovered fully so he can accept more singing without having to hold back which to be honest I feel he had to with Mad about eh Musicals this year, so many songs missed out, I think it was Micheal Courtney productions who said after the tour finished, something about watch this space for 2017 and I don't think Gareth should accept it this time unless he is able to be back on top form, i'm not saying he didn't have his beautiful outstanding voice like no other on this years tour but to me it's obvious why there was quite a lot of Gareth singing missed out, empty Chairs and Why God Why for example, while he's sang them at countless events now, are still 2 of the main songs especially Empty Chairs as he was in Les Mis, i'm sorry for going on but deep down the vocal cord thing still bothers me and i miss his singing.

Back on topic, thank you for posting this review Val :) was a lovely read and so true.

Another 2 lovely reviews Heather. Love these bits yet again. :thumbsup::wub:

Audience favourite and scene-stealing Gareth Gates must also be applauded as his comic physicality and likeability as Willard is nothing less than superb.

Gates’ portrayal of Ren’s best mate Willard has to be seen to be believed. His awkwardness makes him extremely loveable - but it is just a shame we don’t get to hear a bit more of his undeniably great voice.

Another fabulous review.

http://andygibson.weebly.com/theatre-shows/mama-says-cut-footloose

Gareth Gates as Willard Hewitt was genius. I was in stitches with his comedy timing and Willardisms. The crowd roared with approval when he initially came on stage. Willard's antics are very rude, comedically rude. If you like adult humour then pay attention to Willard. His girlfriend, Faye Brookes (who plays Kate Connor in ITV/STV/UTV's Coronation Street), is a very lucky lady.

Guest NicolaJayne

The great reviews for Footloose keep on coming, no end to them, all goes to show just how great this show is.

I think Gareth will have no shortage of work in musicals after Footloose.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest NicolaJayne

Thanks Heather for the Leicester review, just about the only one not very good review of the show. But as Val says they have been impressed by Gareth. I thought the whole show was brilliant, I think they must be hard to please.

Thank you for posting the Cheltenham review Maria which is brilliant.