Footloose the Musical Tour Reviews.

eternal

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

One of only a few reviews in from Blackpool (for some reason I thought there may be more)

http://www.northwestend.co.uk/index.php/professional-reviews/1355-footloose-blackpool-opera-house

There are some surprises with Gates as the loveable, but slow witted Willard, as he shows his ability to perform as a comedy actor with perfect timing and reveals more about him than expected. (I won't spoil that bit!) His endearing attempts at learning to dance bringing love and warmth to the show. :thumbsup:

Thank you for posting these reviews, I wondered that and made some comment in general wondering what it means and Sophie said in a dm to me that it means not maintaining like his accent and character during the show, I am confused how anyone can think that of Gareth as his performance as Willards character remained throughout

I'm not sure it means this Maria as I think it would have read character and not physical characteristics.

I think he/she means that they would like to have seen Gareth retain the Hot Pants scene throughout the show and not return to his dungarees.

Forgot to say thanks for letting us know what Sophie's interpretation was.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a fab review in from Sunderland:lol:

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/whats-on/theatre-and-comedy/review-will-footloose-at-sunderland-empire-get-your-feet-itching-1-8176541

A lack of pace, a microphone gaff and some iffy American accents may have got Footloose off to a slow start - but it didn’t take long for this dance classic to find its feet. Stepping into the dancing shoes of Kevin Bacon, whose iconic performance helped the 1984 film became a blockbuster hit, is no mean feat but Luke Baker as main man Ren brings great emotional intensity and energy to the role.

He’s the boy from the big city who can’t stand still in a backwater town where dancing’s been banned. He back flips and leaps his way around Bomont in athletically-impressive fashion as a rebellion against the law which forbids cutting loose after four teens were killed in a car crash on their way home from a dance. It’s a great story - one loosely based on a real life incident in fact - and it lends itself perfectly to the musical stage. While Luke sums up the frustration of the town’s teens with his feet, his main squeeze Ariel (Hannah Price) does it through her voice. She wears those red cowboy boots well and shines in the big hitting numbers, Holding Out for A Hero and Let’s Hear it For The Boy, which help to give this musical one of the most memorable scores on the circuit. Like the bulk of this cast, she’s a triple threat who sings, dances and acts in the piece. Instead of having musicians in the pit, the actors play the instruments as they go, which adds an extra dimension to the show - it can’t be easy to keep flipping between disciplines.

Despite the cast’s obvious talents, it was Gareth Gates as bumbling cowboy Willard who stole the crowds’ heart. It must be difficult for someone so intrinsically linked with their own pop career to slough off that tag, but his performance was so well-crafted Pop Idol became a distant memory.

Despite being a heartthrob to many, his physical comedy and awkward shuffles made him embody the goofy redneck persona this role requires. He displayed a real knack for comic timing too and had the audience breaking out in peals of laughter. Sometimes big names are booked to get bums on seats and though Gareth may help the tour get press, he also has the acting chops to back up his billing. It’s just a shame this role doesn’t require more singing. Willard only has the lead in Mama Says, but Gareth’s vocals were pitch-perfect, even in a song that’s more about the comedy. I wanted to hear more.

Maureen Nolan also commanded the stage in the role of Vi Moore. It’s a downtrodden character that could easily fade into the background, but in the hands of seasoned stage pro Maureen it was one who demanded your attention, especially in tracks such as Can You Find It In Your Heart and Learning To Be Silent. Much as she was in Blood Brothers, she’s a perfect fit in the matriarchal role.

As the bible belt hold over the town loosens its grip, the infectious dancing takes over, leaps off the stage and lifts you off your seat. And when the cast broke into Footloose, the crowd started itching to join in and broke into a Mexican wave of moving feet. Prepare to put your two left feet to the test: I defy anyone not to dance.

Guest NicolaJayne

Wow! Fantastic review Chris, there have been some really good ones but this is one of the best. after reviews like this I think Gareth must be able to pick and choose what he does and get plenty of offers.

went to see gareth in Milton Keynes in footloose as Willard was my second time seeing gareth in the role first time was Manchester then luke thornton in brum which obviously I missed gareth seeing him before the show finishes was perfect. was a long day got up at half 6 in the morning as had to get ready coach was at half 9 got taxi to coach station as busses can be abit unreliable that time in a morning. could,nt eat as makes me feel sick that early lol but eat 1 hobnob biscuit so I could take all my pills especially my anti depressents lol. at coach station I bought a marmite cheese toastie which I enjoyed and kept me going. met Hayley and pat there with maria at coach station. did,nt feel well on coach think I got to warm as felt like i was gonna pass out did for ages even when got off coach in Milton Keynes. I thought oh no please blighter off faint feeling my head did,nt feel with it if you know what I mean. maria went box office to get tickets reprinted as she had misplaced the others lol. went to stage door which is tucked nicely away not right next to a road or anything. waited to see gareth arrive to do the afternoon show saw ann gazaholic and her husband. gareth arrived in his range wearing his gym gear was such a relief to see him. had a photo with him and gave him a gift bag with protein snacks in which he was happy about. we went slug and lettuce while afternoon show was on get something to eat.i had probs finding out as im fussy cuase of my aspergers and stuff. ended up eating bun that burger was in did,nt like the burger itself was very beefy lol which I thought tasted oniony eat me chips and had a babycino basically a kids mini hot chocolate lol. dessert menu was rather strange only normal thing was cheese cake lol. I shared this dessert sharer thing with maria it had 2 profiteroles on plate this blackcurrent roulade thing a macaroon a chocolate bar dessert thing and a mojito jelly shot. I eat one profiterole and the macaroon and half of choc bar one maria had the others tiny things lol but nice. had a pina colada as was 2for 1 me and maria thought then we basically getting one half price each. i tipped half of mine into hayleys glass as I don't like drink to much alcohol with my medications. we wandered round a shopping centre that was near by found build a bear so I bought a outfit for mr snuggles and a gym bag so he got one like gareths lol and I bought a zombie bear as it unique and cute. went to see him come out after show but we must of missed him but know Natasha saw him which was good he had gone for food so we waited for his return saw kirsty and her brother too which was nice so we waited together. gareth came we all had a photo with gareth ofcourse and allie was with gareth too which we said hi to her. we was on front row in the middle which was nice got excited when saw gareth in his dungarees like yes my Willard hehe definitely no comparison with him and luke thornton gareths got the comedic side down to a t and plays dumb really well aswell as Willard being abit horny its the facial expressions his cheeky face his just Willard down to a t the accent he does and manerisms I was just so relieved to get to see gareth in the role as I kept thinking what if I don't get see him as Willard then my latest memory would be a sad one lol. saw linda inside before we went in too she told us about the souvenier brochure with pictures in as we had,nt got one of those nice to have pics of gareth in his Willard outfit. waited for him to come out he was actually really quick to come out the first I think. all had a picture with him me and maria and Hayley and kirsty and linda too Hayley got her cuppanut signed I just wanted pics and hugs more than anything lol. I sneakily asked for a last hug before he went knowing it be such a long tme till see him again. I hugged him tight did,nt wanna let go lol realised I had my cold hand on his bear arm lol so I said sorry lol he said don't worry and rubbed my back in affectionate way he does to reassure you. we all waved him off in his range was a perfect day always nice for your last experience to be a good one. coach journey about hour and half except way there was longer cause of diversion of some sort I dunno as I was conked out lol. got back to brum got taxi think was back at mine about 3ish totally knackered and relieved to see my mom and mr snuggles who I missed. did,nt feel to well yesterday morning as had headache plus was abit sick and suffering from my ibs not taking my meds for 2 nights running so I did,nt do report till now. I have quite a few pics some I got redone as I thought I looked fat on first one im never keen on far off pics prefer close up hide me body but keep forgetting how much weight I lost lol now only 9 and half stone lol wearing sizes 10-12 coat was bit baggy being a 14 lol. always hard cause im small gareths tall to make sure his heads on it lol. maria does a great job taking my pics though. hope you like my pics I love them all but last one its just like you can see what I was feeling. hope you liked my report and pics sorry for the wait. love sarahjane xxx

DSCN0605.JPG

DSCN0606.JPG

DSCN0607.JPG

DSCN0608.JPG

DSCN0609.JPG

Guest NicolaJayne

Lovely report Sarahjane as usual, you are so good with words. Also all your pics are lovely, so pleased you saw Gareth this time and it made up for your disappointment last time.

know what you mean about the big programme, there are some fab pics in it, well worth the money. 

There's not really anything to add because of Sarahjanes report being so detailed bless her that she speaks for me, Hayley and her mum with her words too. I can't imagine anyone else in the role now, no one could ever come close, but us fans find that with every role Gareth has played.

My pics from the day

100_0624.JPG

14691076_10154657231442720_5855886839291399968_n.jpg

100_0623.JPG