Jason Gardener in Daily Mirror, 12 January 2007

Snowdrop

I spotted this when I was scanning the papers at the petrol station earlier. I assumed it would be in the online version, so didn't read it all thoroughly, but I can't find it on the site, so I'll paraphrase! :laugh:

Jason was giving views on all the celeb skaters. I've no idea what he said about anyone else (see above), but I definitely remember he started off saying

"I LOVE Gareth."

He went on to say that he'd worked with him in the past, and he's a really, nice guy. He also thought he'd get the votes from the teenage girls because he's gorgeous. :heart:

I don't think he was ruling out other fans. Just thought that he'd be the one teen girls would love. :heart:

And he's probably right :laugh:

That doesn't mean us more mature fans can't vote for him too :hyper: :frantics: :hyper:

Only another 8 hours :hyper: :hyper: :frantics: :frantics:

What about all the men of all ages that find him attractive too :frantics:

Jason is a man, and he said he LOVES (it was in capitals) Gareth and that he is gorgeous - what more do you want? :tongue:

Voting wise this all sounds promising, but I thought we were supposed to vote on the contestants ice skating skills :whistle:

Not really. Otherwise what would be the point in getting celebs with different natural abilities involved? Have professionals paired with professionals and be done with it! Or not bother with the public vote. The judges give their scores, so if it was only to be about performance, they shouldn't bother getting the pesky public involved either.

Everyone voting at home has their own reasons, which I think is great. I used to read the SCD forum on Digital Spy and got so bored with people saying week after week, "it's supposed to be about the dancing", when that was just one element of it. There is no professional skating contract being given out. It's a mainstream, popular entertainment tv show that revolves around watching a group of famous faces from a range of backgrounds learning ice dancing and putting on a performance each week. People should vote for who they want to see the next week, whatever reason that is. Part of it is how well they skate, but some will be how much progress they are making and some will be down to how entertaining they are, which includes personality and looks. And in many cases, whether the professional skater is popular, and how much people believe in the partnership.

The winners of the first two series didn't start off as the strongest skaters, but by the end they'd improved so much, they thorougly deserved their trophies for their skating. The fact they put so much personality into their performances, and were very nice, and entertaining individuals helped make the show what it is. Having said that, it does seem that the producers of DOI only pick celebs who have the right sort of personality. I can't think of any skating celeb who I didn't take to - except for Kelly Homes. She couldn't, or rather, wouldn't take instruction or criticism.

There's always the skate-off, which means that there is less chance of a brilliant skater going out early, unless they make a hash of their routine, or two excellent skaters get very low public votes.