Soccer Aid 2008 7th September

Floz

Robbie William's annual bash, to be shown live on ITV

21/07/2008

Ticket sales are to begin today for the second Soccer Aid event, which will take place at the new Wembley Stadium later this year.

The event, which is organised by pop star Robbie Williams in aid of Unicef and its partners, will be held on Sunday September 7th and features an England All-Star team and a Rest of the World XI.

Each side will feature a host of well-known former footballing greats as well as celebrity names, with Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp in line to manage the England team and legendary Scottish manager Kenny Dalglish to take charge of the Rest of the World side.

England will boast former internationals Jamie Redknapp and Alan Shearer among their number, with Kyran Bracken, Ben Shephard, Gareth Gates, Jamie Theakston and Williams' Soccer Aid co-founder Jonathan Wilkes all included.

Meanwhile, legendary Scot Kenny Dalglish will take charge of the Rest of the World side, who will be captained by chef and former professional footballer Gordon Ramsay.

And Westlife star Nicky Byrne, Alastair Campbell, Patrick Kielty, Brian Lara, Jesse Metcalfe and Peter Schmeichel are all in the squad.

Williams, who captained the England team last time, will be unable to play due to a knee injury.

But he says he is still eagerly anticipating the contest: "Being able to help so many people through Soccer Aid was one of the true highlights of my life.

"I'm gutted that this time round my knee isn't up to it so unfortunately I'm out of the game.

"But I hope that everyone involved has the time of their life like I did, raises loads of money for Unicef and that the best side wins."

The event will be screened live on ITV1, hosted by Ant and Dec, with the Rest of the World team hoping to gain revenge for England's win at Old Trafford in 2006.

That match raised £2.6 million for Unicef's work with partners for children around the world, a target that it is hoped will be beaten this time around.

For tickets to Soccer Aid 2008, call 0871 230 7148 or go to Look at itv.com/socceraid/.

Tickets are available from 09:00 on Monday July 21st (calls are charged at 10p a minute from a BT landline. Costs from other networks may be higher. And calls from mobiles will be considerably higher).

got this from a blog, here but I think it will be from an official press release

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very exciting stuff. Maggiemags and I were discussing this very tv show recently, and wondered if there would be a repeat. Delighted to see that there is, and even more delighted that Gareth is involved! :laugh:

It's also got a mention on the Daily Record site. It's briefer, but Gaz is one of the few who gets a mention. :heart:

They all had such fun last time, and I'm sure it'll be the same this time around too. :thumbsup:

Also in The Sun, but dont bother to click on the slide-show. Only got pics of a couple of footballers and Gordon Ramsay looking wrinkly! :laugh:

Oh wow how exciting. After seeing the wedding pictures we will then get a chance to see Gareth in shorts :blush: :hyper:

Sounds like this could be great fun. Harry Redknap is on a role at the moment, with his 'professional' team so Gareth had better start training hard, once he returns from honeymoon.

There again Gordon Ramsey may 'cook something up' :thumbsup:

Will we see more on ITV or will it be better seeing them all in the flesh-- hmmmmm could be a first trip to new Wembley??

Thanks Floz. Great find.

could be a first trip to new Wembley??

It sounds like a fantastic excuse.

And it's got me thinking about what a thrill it will be for Gareth, and the others to get to play football at Wembley and to wear an England shirt - even if it's just pretend, lol. I'm sure it'll be a thrill for the non-English celebs too, but not quite as much fun, as they'd be dreaming of playing in their own national shirt, not a "rest of the world" one. Still, Wembley is Wembley and they get to play with some legendary footballing stars too.

Gareth won't be on the same team as Gordon. Gordon is captain of Scotland. :laugh:

They only have a week to train together, but I'm sure Gareth will make a point of keeping his fitness level high and having a bit of a practice. I think that week together is all about team bonding and tactics. There was a lot of good cameraderie last time around. :thumbsup:

Thanks Floz and Heather. :smile: Such great news. I'm glad Gareth is taking part on the event.

Hopefully, I will be able to watch it (if I get ITV on my TV before the match takes place lol :tongue: ). I don't want to miss that.

Oh brilliant, thanks so much. Never know where to sit a a footie match, as I can never tell if the ball has actually gone in the net :blush: Have to wait to see the reaction of the guy/gal next to me (and jump up with them)!

I am quite glad to see NME reporting about this event too. Bet there were a few raised eyebrows when Gareth's name was mentioned.

Very exciting stuff. Maggiemags and I were discussing this very tv show recently, and wondered if there would be a repeat. Delighted to see that there is, and even more delighted that Gareth is involved! :laugh:

We were! Weird! I'm thrilled to bits - LOVED this last time around and was quite disappointed that he wasn't in it then - really hoped he might be given all his connections to the relevant people. My fingers are itching to set the recorder right now - can't wait for the build up to begin! Bring it on!!!!

Thanks for all the links.I'm thrilled for Gareth, it's great! I have got tickets to go, but think i will record it as well.

A link to a snippett in The Times Online.

which reads:

Despite spending the year on the bench, Robbie Williams has been forced out of the ITV Soccer Aid charity game at Wembley on September 7. “I’m gutted that this time round my knee isn’t up to it, so unfortunately I’m out of the game,” the singer says. Strikers seeking a big-money transfer are often afflicted with a dodgy knee. His place will go to Alan Shearer - or Gareth Gates.

:unsure: No pressure Gareth!

What place is that?

If you are interested, you can get tickets by calling 0871 230 7148 or go to www.ITV.com/socceraid although that just says "coming soon". :whistle:

My 9 year old daughter will be getting baptised (her choice) on that day as my son-in-law will be home before doing a 7 month tour of Afghanistan (All my kids are Godparents). It will be a special day already but this makes it better. Take Care Coral