Joseph reviews

Snowdrop

I've been tipped off about some reviews of this evening's show with Gareth posted on a Lee Mead fansite by fans who went along expecting to see Ricky. It seems they were impressed. :heart:

First person

I purchased tonight’s ticket some weeks ago on the understanding that it would be Ricky’s last night as stand in Joe and I wanted to show my support to him and the rest of the cast for the hours of enjoyment they have given me over the weeks/months.

I have never hidden the fact that I am intrigued to see Gareth’s portrayal of Joseph and my Thursday 5th Feb ticket was originally purchased because I was told that there is a very good chance Gareth would be on for that night, a dress rehearsal before the big day on Monday. As it turned out it was Ricky’s last show as Joe as Gareth did Friday evening and the two shows today.

My love for Lee has not changed and never will change, he was and will always be the ultimate Joseph, nobody in my opinion will ever come close to his portrayal of the role, however, I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed tonight’s show with Gareth.

I’d be lying if I said there were no problems tonight, most noticeable was his mic during the first half, they couldn’t get his sound quite right and I found at times his voice sounded powerful and other times rather weak, although by the second half they seemed to have worked out the problems and he had a more controlled sounding vocal throughout.

Gareth does it his own way, he doesn’t attempt to copy Lee and there are some lovely moments, especially during the Pharaoh scene, where you can really see his cheeky personality come through.

It was quiet obvious that he was nervous and in all fairness the first half wasn’t brilliant, at times I felt that he was waiting for the cast to push him into each scene, but by the second half the nerves had gone and we had a more accomplished performance which will continue to get better over the coming weeks/months.

Gareth is actually very lucky as he is supported by an outstanding cast of principles, ensemble and swing and he will learn of lot from the cast over time.

He’s not the skinny young thing we all remember from Pop Idol. It’s obvious he is taking this role seriously as his 6 pack is evidence of how much work he is putting in to make sure he looks just right on stage. He looks young, but then he is young and dare I say it but he looks very good in the loin cloth.

I was with two others tonight who, if they had known they where seeing Garth, would not have come, however, both of them agreed by the end of the evening that it was worth seeing and both are considering going again.

Finally, I would like to quote a famous saying ‘never judge a book by it’s cover’. This show still has the ultimate ‘feel good factor’ and I am delighted that I have seen Gareth in one of his first nights. I am going again in a few weeks and expect him to be even better. Not in Lee’s league, but then who is.

Person 2

What was he like as 'Masterful Jo'? That's the part of the show I would have thought he'd have problems with. It's one thing being 'cheeky' but quite another being 'angry'/'scary'!

I'm glad Gareth seems to be doing well.

Person 3

Thanks abs. I really hope Gareth does well and it sounds promising. He seems a nice guy from all the interviews I have read. i am glad he is making the role his own and have a feeling that he will do very well. Don't think I will see him as I want only to remember Lee in the role but part of me is tempted.

Person 4

I was expecting to see Ricky in his last show but unexpectedly saw Gareth.

Have to say i didn't think i was going to enjoy his performance but I did. The cast gave him a lot of support during the first half as i think nerves slighly got the better of him, but by the second half as Anne has said he settled down and brought his own personality to the role.

Gareth has a lovely voice but it isn't as powerful as Lee's. Not sure if some of that was down to the mic issues.

For me Lee is the definitive Joe but Gareth gave a very creditable performance and would say to you give it a try and see for yourself!

Person 1 (again)

That was the part of the show that I was really worried about, but my fears were unfounded - he coped really well with masterful Joe and actually looked very powerful as he was standing whilst the cast did Benjamin Calypso.

All in all, very positive. These are people who all have a vested interest in Lee and will want everyone to think of him as the best, but they also seem to be very supportive of the show and the rest of the cast, so are happy to admit if he is good.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, that's fantastic! Thank you so much for posting those. I've chewed my fingers up to my elbows waiting to hear how he got on. I can sleep now! Looking forward to Khelda's review on Monday to confirm he's amazing :D

SO proud of him :heart: :frantics: :hyper: :heart:

That's really positive feedback. If those who thought Lee was fantastic can see how good Gareth is, or will be when he settles into the role, then I think we can safely say that impartial theatre-goers will enjoy him even more.

I'm with Maggie, it has been very finger-nail biting stuff waiting to find out how he did. Feel loads better now and can't wait until Wednesday to see him for myself.

Thanks for finding these Snowdrop.

Thanks for posting those reviews Snowdrop, I agree they are very positive coming from Lee fans . I'm not surprised that Gareth can look angry and masterful :tongue: It's great that Gareth could get some shows in before the big opening night , to iron out any problems . Gareth is going to be a great Joseph :heart:

Thanks Snowdrop, they sound very hopful, that Gareth will grow into this role well.

I'm glad to hear he's making it his own, which I thought would happen.

So Pleased he's had the chance before the big night, to calm his nerves a bit.

Thanks Snowdrop for finding this, I am so pleased that they all thought Gareth was good and with a bit more pratice will get better still. Love it too they recommend people to go and see him, who might have been inclinded not to because its him.

Fantastic news, really cant wait to see him on Monday. :frantics:

These objective reviews from non Gareth fans mean a lot at this early stage.

I'm so pleased Gareth is making Joseph his own , but expected nothing less. Although Lee's voice is powerful and he puts emotion into it - I am sure, as these people have commented, that Gareth will offer something different but as poignant. He is bound to grow in confidence as the months progress.

Couple more:

First one follows on from Snowdrop's posts

I have to admit I was curious to see how he would play it and I am really pleaed I saw him last night. First half was a little shaky, he was very nervous, played the entire show to the upper circle and his voice was a little hit and miss. He has an interesting interpretaiton of CED and an arrangement that suits him.

2nd half - I was worried how he would pull it off and how he would interact with Pharoah but he had clearly shaken off some of the nerves and his personalilty came through and he was actually pretty good.

I have no doubt in a few weeks he will be very pleasing to watch and will be a very good Joseph. I don't envy him having to follow Lee but based on last night, I am confident he will be fine and as has been said, he has a very good cast to support him who are clearly doing everything they can to help him.

It was a good show, not a great show yet but has the potential to be and I for one look forward to seeing him again.

Well done Gareth, for your third show it was good. along.

I saw the show last night and it was an unexpected surprise for me to hear the announcement that Gareth would be playing the role of Joseph - and judging by the gasps from the audience, I’m sure the majority of them were unaware also.

Considering he’s only had 2 weeks rehearsal time, I thought he did very well. Vocally, he was very strong and ‘Close Every Door’ was a joy to hear and met with some loud “WHOOPS” from the crowd at the end…deservedly so. I myself had an urge to leap on stage and give him a big hug!

I’m not ashamed to admit that I was a little anti-Gareth when I first heard he would be replacing Lee and had no plans to see the show with him in it (was actually hoping to catch his understudy last night, who I’ve heard very good things about). As it happens, Gareth’s vocal ability totally won me over and I expect the acting/stage presence/confidence will come on in leaps and bounds as he settles into the role. Good luck to the guy :)

Oops - missed this. Follow-up to the first quote on my previous post:

Oh but I have to admit - delivering the only dialogue in the show in a broad Bradford accent was quite amusing! He did very well though - he has come a long way from the suttering young lad on Pop Idol - and he looks pretty good in the loincloth!

:laugh: / :wub:

Has anyone seen this posted on Mr West End's myspace ? :smile:

VIDEO: GARETH GATES MAKES WEST END DEBUT

Today at 02:15This Monday sees the West End debut of Gareth Gates playing the title role in JOSEPH. We'll be at the theatre recording this new chapter in his career. The video will be available to watch on this facebook group from Tuesday morning at 7am. Go Go Gareth!

Thanks so much. It was so lovely to read those comments from previously non Gareth fans. It is normal to be nervouse, especially performimg before your fans are there to support you. He will be fine as he gets more and more into it. The problem with the mic was not his fault, so his voice will sound even better once that is all sorted out.

Another small review from someone who had "never seen Gareth in anything before" on another site

Gareth did Friday's show and today's shows before his official opening on Monday. I'm just back from the evening show, and, say what you like, I thought he was fantastic!!

I've not seen him do anything before, but I really thought he was great! Give him a while to settle in and he'll be fabulous

Great reviews for Gareth's first run with Joseph, and with only a couple of weeks of rehearsal. I am pleased he had a chance to do this before his official opening night.

I hope Gareth has a brilliant time tomorrow.

:heart: Gareth is amazing, I am so proud of him :heart:

Very encouraged by these reviews by fans of Lee. Thanks to everyone who has found them and posted them here. It is great that they think Gareth gave a good performance and that he has potential - even some good comments by people who had no intention of seeing Gareth in the role. It's understandable that Gareth would have been nervous but that will definitely improve over time. When I saw him in 'Cinderella' (near the end of his run in the panto) he came over very confidently.

I saw Lee in 'Joseph' last summer and was impressed by how much his voice had grown since 'Any Dream Will Do'. I had thought he was good on the TV show (and voted for him), but it was amazing what a year of live performances had done for him.

This is a brilliant opportunity for Gareth and I get so excited every time I think about him in this show. Leaving the theatre last summer, I thought that it would be fantastic if Gareth could play 'Joseph' sometime - and now he is! Looking forward to seeing the show soon.

Hope everyone who is going to tonight's performance has a great time and look forward to reading your reviews.

Linda