Gareth to star on Broadway to West End show 4 October

kenzieboy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, there is a little bit more here too

The full line-up has been announced for Broadway to West End - by Special Arrangement, a gala concert taking place on 4 October 2009 at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane in tribute to the work of Tony Award-winning orchestrator William David Brohn (See Photos, 1 Jul 2009).

The evening, which showcases a number of Brohn's arrangements for shows including Carousel, Crazy for You, Miss Saigon, Wicked, Oliver! and Mary Poppins, will raise money for the children’s cancer charity CLIC Sargent, and feature performers from London’s Arts Educational School.

The cast will include: Gareth Gates, Alistair McGowan, Jodie Prenger, Rosemary Ashe, Alexia Khadime, Graham Bickley, Earl Carpenter, Ima Castro, Sharon D Clarke, Kim Criswell, Simon Green, Alison Jiear, Josie Lawrence, Robyn North, Charlotte Page, Nicholas Parsons, Joanna Riding, Caroline Sheen and Rebecca Thornhill.

Special appearances will by made by composer Claude Michel Schönberg, Stiles and Drewe, Broadway orchestrator Christopher Jahnke and guest conductor Gareth Valentine. Direction and choreography is by Bill Deamer, the musical directors are Stephen Brooker and Martin Koch.

Producers Richard Morris and Doug Pinchin said: “We’ve got an amazing line up of talent singing a whole range of show music … Alongside great numbers like 'I Got Rhythm’ and 'The Wizard and I’ we’re also delighted to be championing some exciting lesser performed pieces with songs from George Stiles’ The Three Musketeers, Marvin Hamlisch’s Sweet Smell of Success and Kander & Ebb’s Curtains. We hope to make it a very special evening indeed.”

Thanks so much for that information. I like it that Gareth's name appears first! I wonder what songs he will be singing?

• 2 weeks later...

This has been posted by uriel-eyes on Gareth's OS :smile:

you guys might be interested in this podcast ... it does include spoilers though

http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk/episodes_0147.html

it talks about the show and mentions briefly at the start that Gareth will be dueting in the Miss Saigon sequence, then he is mentioned again 15 minutes in :smile:

I have just had a listen :smile:

what a great Gareth mention, where they say Gareth is becoming really big in musical theatre , and they are thrilled to have him, also Gareth is exceptional , as they got him to do something and his agent phoned to ask if he could do 2 songs :heart:

This is Ima Castro with whom Gareth is dueting with a song from Miss Saigon :thumbsup:

http://www.myspace.com/imacastro

Listening to the podcast was a true relevation of how big the evening is going to be and how much work is going into it being really quite special.

As well as the top stars, the orchestra, chorus of 40 students and 12 West End dancers have to fit on the stage :shocked:

Did I hear right that Miss Saigon is going to be the high point of the show?

I am really hoping that Gareth is going to be dueting this favourite song of mine from Miss Saigon

:hyper:

This is Ima Castro with whom Gareth is dueting with a song from Miss Saigon :thumbsup:

http://www.myspace.com/imacastro

I've been away, so just downloading now, thanks. I saw Ima in Miss Saigon a few years ago, or at least I saw the production that she was in, so presume she was on stage that night! I can't say I remember her specifically, but I don't remember not liking anyone. :laugh:

I see that she is from the Phillipines. It will be interesting to know if she knows Gareth from the music he released over there. Mind you, it seems as if she has spent a lot of time travelling for her singing, so who knows? You can read more about here here.

It was a very interesting listen, and it sounds as if it will be a very big event. I was quite shocked when they were originally claiming that people in the UK are unwilling to pay that much for a charity fundraiser compared to in the US, as I thought the prices as they stand are already prohibatively expensive for many, but the other man did acknowledge that their ticket prices were more expensive this time. I can't argue that the tickets aren't value for money, but there are a lot of people who simply cannot afford it so the suggestion that those people are just being mean seemed wrong. Then again, there are still loads of people who can afford it, and if you can afford it, then you are supporting a great cause and getting a great show in return.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to Doris on the OS for posting about this ticket offer: Ring 0844 412 4657 and quote "Broadway offer". There might be another offer, as the man seemed to react as if there might be. But the man I spoke to kept changing his mind about what was available, so I ended up quite confused too, lol.

But there are decent reductions for tickets in the stalls and upper circle. Most of the grande circle has been reserved for golden ticket holders, which are the big-wigs and people going to the party. If you are happy to sit at the sides or back of important people - that's the place for you! :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

That's very good. When I rang up a few weeks ago their best seats were row H in the stalls, but the man may have thought they were better, or perhaps it depended how many you booked for.

It's great for fans that discounts are available, but I can't help but think that more modest discounts advertised earlier on might have helped them to raise more overall, especially as there is another big, charity concert on that evening in London.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see Gareth mentioned at least.

Saw Alistair McGowan on both Loose Women and POG this week and he never mentioned the show once. All he spoke about was his own tour which starts next week. You'd have thought he could have given it a little plug wouldn't you, seeing as its for Charity :shocked:

You would think so, but I dare say they were primed to ask him about his tour and his agent had reminded him about key dates etc, and these side projects can be forgotten about. Let's hope he remembers to turn up! :laugh:

He may also be a bit anxious if he is singing. :shocked:

Anyone still wanting to go to this, but not got tix? A friend of mine has asked me to post this:

I have two tickets to this Charity Gala taking place this coming Sunday 4th October. They are priced at £125 each but as I am unable to go I am happy to take £125 the pair (or less - name your price). If you can't take the tickets, but know someone that can, please put them in touch with me.

TICKETS ARE SITUATED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FRONT ROW STALLS

Reason for Sale

There is another high profile Charity Concert taking place on the same night and when I booked the tickets I was unaware of the conflict of dates

If you're interested, post in this thread or PM me and I'll put you in touch with the seller. :smile: