Gareth at Bradford Charity Event - 10th October

Val4Gareth

Received this alert this morning from the Telegraph & Argus. Can't post the link due to my stupid set up being wrong

Bradford-based charity stages fundraiser

8:56am Thursday 1st October 2009

The stars are coming out for a Bradford-based charity’s first fundraising dinner.

Gareth Gates, Tom Lister, of TV soap Emmerdale and Bradford City manager Stuart McCall will be among the guests at the One In A Million night on Saturday, October 10.

Other sporting names will join representatives from Bradford’s business community, local councillors and Sports Minister and Bradford MP Gerry Sutcliffe.

One in a Million is a charity co-founded by Bradford City’s assistant manager Wayne Jacobs four years ago using sport to stimulate and inspire disadvantaged and disaffected children.

The charity is now moving into arts and media as well as working with youngsters not in education, employment or training (Neets).

As well as raising funds, part of the charity night is to hand out awards to the children, young adults and volunteers who through the scheme have made a difference to their community.

Fundraising co-ordinator Cara Dennison said each and every one of the young people involved with the charity “has value”. She added: “They have something to offer and they are all One in a Million.”

im not able to go to this event

but i rung up to ask how much tickets would be and the lady i spoke to said they are free but obviously would like peeps to make a donation on the night im unsure how many tickets they have left

to ask any more questions best to ring Cara 01274 773355

Thanks for posting, about the event Val, to Heather for the links and to Janice for ticket information. Might have gone to support a great cause, if I could have found someone to go with, but not sure anyone I know will want to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Report from the event from here:

Youngsters’ efforts are recognised at first ceremony of its kind in Bradford

6:49pm Sunday 11th October 2009

By Marc Meneaud »

Pop star Gareth Gates and Emmerdale actor Tom Lister were among the celebrities at the first charity dinner of its kind to recognise the efforts of disadvantaged young people in Bradford.

The celebrities were joined by sports stars including Bradford City manager Stuart McCall and athletics World Championship silver medalist Peter Elliot, at the award dinner at Bradford Grammar School.

Organised by the One In A Million charity, co-founded by Bradford City assistant manager Wayne Jacobs, the event was to recognise five youngsters who had made a significant difference to their community.

Wayne Jacobs said: “It was an outstanding evening to celebrate the children and young people of our city.”

The awards on the night were presented to Thomas Watmough from Queensbury for achievements within athletics, Peter Waters from Wrose won outstanding volunteer, and the contribution to the community award was won by Levi and Jacob Guy of Canterbury, Little Horton.

Stuart McCall presented the award for most consistent team to the Samba Boys, an indoor football team from West Bowling, and the One In A Million award was presented by Gareth Gates to Thomas “TJ” Stokes from Canterbury.

Since starting out with seven children attending football coaching on the Canterbury Estate, One In A Million now helps more than 750 children and young people each week,.

Sessions include football, athletics, basketball, street dance and Kwik cricket.

The charity also works with the Bradford City Girls Centre of Excellence, offers arts and media courses and works with young people who are not in employment, education or training.

The inaugural charity dinner, held on Saturday, was also attended by local busineesmen and women, councillors and Sports Minister and Bradford South MP Gerry Sutcliffe.

Wayne Jacobs said: “It was a truly memorable occasion which will not only have had a positive effect on the children and all those in attendance but the lives of those who will go on to help through the work they are doing alongside One In A Million.”

It's good to see the article.

I think Gareth has received a bit of a hard time with some of the Bradford People. I do hope by him being asked to give an award and being with the local business people, it will make those who struggled with Gareth moving to London, realise how proud he is of his home town.

In my opinion, him buying his more recent Range Rover from a Bradford dealer shows his comittment to supporting Bradford. (There are plenty of Range Rover dealers in London)

Hope he had a good night at this event. Would think it one where there may be a few tissues needed.