Cameron Mackintosh Radio 2

I was out , but I have just listened on BBC i player . The interview is very long, it starts of mainly promoting the Les Mis 02 concert , which Cameron says he promised when they did the 10 year anniversary show at The Albert Hall ( I remember that on the Video of the show )

1 hour . 16 mins on the i player , Jonathon Ross asks about pop stars transferring to Musicals . Cameron said that not many pop stars are comfortable with it, but look at Les Mis , Gareth Gates is doing a brilliant job as Marius , Jonathon Ross says and he's a very talented young man, and has the looks . Cameron said Gareth wants to do it, it's no good for pop stars to want to use musicals as a vehicle for themselves . Johnathan Ross has never see Les Mis, but he is going to see it at The Barbican with his daughter :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00ssn7n

Thanks for letting us know about this and for the link Heather. It's great to hear these things about Gareth, and good to know Jonathon and his daughter will be going to the show at the Barbican. I wonder if he'll be there at the same time as me!

If so, I'll be sure to tell him that he's right - Gareth is a very talented young man, although I think it will be painfully obvious for all to see (and hear).

I'm sorry I missed this interview because I find Cameron Mackintosh really interesting to listen to. I love his voice too. Thanks for letting us know what was said Heather

He has done a fair bit of promoting Les Mis so well done to him.

I wonder what Jonathon Ross will think to Les Mis (and of course his daughter who was, of course, a Gareth Fan)? Is Jonathon still continuing with his radio show after his TV show finishes, does anyone know?

• 1 month later...

Thanks for that link.

I love Cameron Mackintosh. Isn't he an interesting guy? I love Steve Wright too so really enjoyed this brief interview.

Doesn't Cameron speak with such pride when talking of Gareth? He genuinely means "Wonderful Gareth Gates".

Just love it. :thumbsup:

It was lovley the way he slipped it in about Gareth being wonderful, and totally unprompted when talking about the tour, listing him in with JOJ and Earl Carpenter, but I did think it funny that JOJ and Earl were just named as part of the fantastic cast, and not given any superlatives of their own. They clearly deserve them, but perhaps CM thinks some people still need persuading about Gareth. I just hope it's not the sort of thing that causes resentment amongst the Les Mis hard-core, but they'd probably be too busy fuming about what he said about Susan Boyle. :ph34r:

An interview for the casual fans me thinks! :whistle: