Les Mis - The Queens

Val4Gareth

Yes, Linda, I seem to remember that Gareth was offered Marius either at Queens or on tour, and chose the tour as it was a "new" staging.

He has done the right thing, as I'm sure more people have seen him playing the role on tour, than would have seen him in the West End. Plus, he has now "proved" himself over the past year and Cam Mac is obviously in no doubt that he is perfect for the role.

It is very exciting that Gareth is going to become a big West End star. He has the "name" of course, and can now back it up with a solid reputation as a stage performer. It is also his second West End role, having already done Joseph, and I'm sure he will be offered many roles in the future (in fact, he may well be in so much demand that he might have to turn some down!)

I know that Gareth has voiced an ambition to return to pop at some stage, but I would like to see him continue in musical theatre for some time to come, I feel he is wasted on pop music. It would be lovely to buy his records of course, but I feel that he prefers being on stage in front of an audience than being closeted away in a recording studio. He loves performing and has such "stage presence" (in fact he has the "X Factor" that Simon Cowell continues to look for!)

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, Linda, I seem to remember that Gareth was offered Marius either at Queens or on tour, and chose the tour as it was a "new" staging.

He has done the right thing, as I'm sure more people have seen him playing the role on tour, than would have seen him in the West End. Plus, he has now "proved" himself over the past year and Cam Mac is obviously in no doubt that he is perfect for the role.

It is very exciting that Gareth is going to become a big West End star. He has the "name" of course, and can now back it up with a solid reputation as a stage performer. It is also his second West End role, having already done Joseph, and I'm sure he will be offered many roles in the future (in fact, he may well be in so much demand that he might have to turn some down!)

I know that Gareth has voiced an ambition to return to pop at some stage, but I would like to see him continue in musical theatre for some time to come, I feel he is wasted on pop music. It would be lovely to buy his records of course, but I feel that he prefers being on stage in front of an audience than being closeted away in a recording studio. He loves performing and has such "stage presence" (in fact he has the "X Factor" that Simon Cowell continues to look for!)

I completely agree with what you say here. I really hope that Gareth continues to work in musical theatre and gets offered lots more roles. I'm sure he loves performing this way and it gives us lots more opportunities to see him on stage. Gareth has done this exactly right - choosing the tour means he was seen by loads of people, got the recognition he deserves and was part of the process of developing the role of Marius in the touring production, but now he also gets the chance to play the part in the original production.

While I desperately want to be able to buy his recordings, I would be completely satisfied if he recorded and released some of the musical theatre songs that he has sung in various places recently (with possibly a few original tracks thrown in for good measure). If his musical theatre career continues to grow and develop, he will not need to earn his living as a recording artist, so chart position will be less important.

Whatever he does I shall continue to support him in every way I can.

Linda

While I desperately want to be able to buy his recordings, I would be completely satisfied if he recorded and released some of the musical theatre songs that he has sung in various places recently (with possibly a few original tracks thrown in for good measure). If his musical theatre career continues to grow and develop, he will not need to earn his living as a recording artist, so chart position will be less important.

Whatever he does I shall continue to support him in every way I can.

I totally agree with this too. I think apart from loving the live performances, he also loves being part of a group. Working with people, having fun with them. Being a pop star is quite a lonely place sometimes.

Very good. I get the impression from tweets from other cast members that today was the first proper day of rehearsals. Perhaps yesterday he was in for a costume fitting and general organisational bits.

It looks like Gareth is enjoying the new challenges:

Gareth_Gates Just finished rehearsals. Really good day. The revolve is quite something! And the Barricade to huge!

about 1 hour ago via Twitter for iPhone

And Jon Robyn's response - remembering he previously played Marius at Queens.

JRobyns @Gareth_Gates Innit. Enjoy the westend's best climbing frame and watch out for those revolve moments I mentioned! Fresh, kid.

29 minutes ago via Snaptu.com in reply to Gareth_Gates

I'm loving reading the excitement of the cast as being excited about Gareth joining them as he is. :thumbsup:

I must say I agree with you here Gareth GGFan. For the present I think Gareth should concentrate on musical theatre. He is earning his stripes, so to speak and gaining enormous credability. If eventually we have an album and a tour alongside, it would be a bonus but I would hate him to move away from musical theatre to concentrate on that.

There was a little snippett of interesting news in today's Daily Mail from Baz, regarding the West End Performance:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1318728/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-Grown-Daniel-casts-chilling-spell.html

Tenor Alfie Boe is in the middle of discussions with Cameron Mackintosh about playing the lead role of Jean Valjean in Les Miserables in the West End next year.

Boe played Valjean at the 25th anniversary concert of the show, which was created by Alain Boublil, Claude-Michel Schonberg and Herbert Kretzmer, at the O2 last Sunday.

I've seen it more times than it's sensible to admit in public, and even having heard Colm Wilkinson (the original Valjean) and, recently, John Owen Jones (both sublime), I was not expecting any revelations.

Besides which, I loathe the O2, not to mention all the hassle of travelling to and from the so-called Greenwich peninsula. And it was raining.

Alfie Boe, left, was 'electrifying' when he sang Bring Him Home from Les Miserables

But my mood was lifted the moment Boe sang. He was electrifying. When he performed Bring Him Home, it was as if he was God's anointed vocalist.

Later, Boe told me he was stunned when the song stopped the show and he received the kind of standing ovation I think I've witnessed just once or twice in my life.

The tenor acknowledged he would welcome a season at the Queen's Theatre playing Valjean. 'It's something that might well happen,' he told me.

Mackintosh added: 'Alfie comes from an opera world, but he's not a pop tenor - he's a great, strapping, manly operatic tenor. It's lovely to hear the score re-invented by a truly great artist.

'Of course, I would love to have him perform in the show. Watch this space!'

Whilst I know these discussions can take months to actually happen, it would be nice just once to hear Gareth alongside this great. We can but hope.

I'm going to Queens on Wednesday with a few others. Looking forward to seeing how different the WE production is.

That's great to hear - I was wondering if any of "our lot" would be heading there so soon after Gareth finished at The Barbican. What will be interesting is whether or not Gareth changes his own portrayal of Marius when he plays him within a different production. It might be quite good fun for him to try a whole new take on it, especially working with the different interpretations of his new cast. I wonder if this is something that might change over time with the new cast.

I'll probably wait until next year before I see the show again, but I want him to tell us when his holidays are first. He seems oblivious to the fact that we want to see him in the part! :whistle:

I'm dead jealous that you are going on Wednesday (I know, you are thinking, "well you had your chance")LOL. I can't wait to hear what you think about not just Gareth but the show too.

I saw it years ago and of course it has faded from my memory, whilst the tour production is embedded in it.

Having seen Gareth play opposite a Cosette who, I didn't think matched up to the standard of Katie Hall, I worry that I won't enjoy the performance as much (when I eventually see it). I then wonder about anyone living up the standard of John Owen Jones too?

It will be really, really interesting to hear how you find it.

I know sometimes when a new person joins a new 'firm' it can raise the standards as their new enthusiam is infectious. I hope this is the case with Gareth joining this new production.

I'll probably wait until next year before I see the show again, but I want him to tell us when his holidays are first. He seems oblivious to the fact that we want to see him in the part!

If Gareth hasn't planned any of next years holidays yet, he may be a bit reluctant to ask his boss for time off, when he is only just starting a new job :whistle:

Are you hoping to wait at the stage door to meet Gareth?

Has anyone established where it is?

Stage door at the Queen's is round the back. If you walk down the side of the theatre, then turn left, the stage door is almost immediately on your left. (After the matinee show at the Barbican on 30th September, I went back to Euston via Queen's Theatre to remind myself where it is and see where Gareth will be performing next.)

From what I have been reading elsewhere, Simon Bowman is not highly rated as JVJ and has a lot of time off (he was very ill earlier in the year). The understudies for the role seem to get better reviews. Lucie Jones is considered by many to be too 'poppy'. Don't think either of these will be as good as JOJ and Katie.

How exciting that Gareth starts today. Looking forward to reading some reports.

Linda

Stage door at the Queen's is round the back. If you walk down the side of the theatre, then turn left, the stage door is almost immediately on your left.

Thanks for that. No more walking up the road trying to make it look as though you are looking for a restaurant, when you just happen to stumble on the stage door :whistle:

I have been reading a couple of the theatre sites and have read the same about Simon Bowman and Lucie Jones. Let's hope we are presently surprised. Trouble is, in my opinion, we have been spoiled with John Owen Jones, well in fact, the whole cast.

Lucky Cris getting front stall seats. I wonder if the restricted view means you have to look up a little?

I'm not sure if anyone has been to the Queens.

Val am popping your twitter quote in here too, re Gareth going to the Queens.

On my way to the Queens Theatre for my opening night in Les Mis. I think I'm ready!!

I think you posted at 1.38pm. My first thought was Blimey Gareth's not late :o

Only joking.

Not sure if anyone else is feeling a bit nervous tonight?

Edits to say: The Daily Mail have their offer of Dine for £5 once again. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/prmts/article-1318818/Dine-restaurants-little-5-person.html Could be useful if any participating restaurants near to the theatre.

Lucky Cris getting front stall seats. I wonder if the restricted view means you have to look up a little?

I'm not sure if anyone has been to the Queens.

My first visit to see Les Mis was at Queen's in 2008. We sat in stalls row D and had a great view of the stage, however I suspect that you would have to look up a bit from the front row and there may be parts of the stage that would be difficult to see. However I'm sure that Cris will have a great time.

I think you posted at 1.38pm. My first thought was Blimey Gareth's not late :o

Only joking.

One of the cast members tweeted to say that they were doing a dress rehearsal with Gareth, so that must have been why he went in so early.

I'm excitedly awaiting news of how tonight's show went.

Linda

Couple of tweets from Jeff Nicholson

Congrats to @Gareth_Gates on a great first night. Go team les Mis!!! about 7 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone
@MsLeaSalonga did great. Me? Fine. On train home after drinky poos. And 7 mins ago I turned 29!!! Xx you well? about 7 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone in reply to MsLeaSalonga

:thumbsup:

And a post on WOS

On a bright note G Gates had his debut @ the Queens & his performance was steady, he seemed a bit nervous & unassured @ times but he got though it. Strange after now seeing the tour production a few times you really start to feel that this production needs freshening up in some way. What clearly is evident is the mutted sound & audio vocals. Almost like the theatre needs an advanced modern sound system to brighten it up & release the sound from the pit where it is shoe horned in, someone should tell CamMac every successful business requires reinvestment.

Thanks Val. That last bit from the person on WOS doesn't look that flattering until you read the original post whereby they've just laid into the terrible performance of the actor playing Valjean. :whistle:

I expect Gareth was a bit anxious that he'd go on at the wrong side of the stage, lol. I imagine it will take a few performances to bed into the different way of doing things.

This Facebook page seems to be the one for general Les Miserables discussion including the show at Queens Theatre.