Les Mis - The Queens

Val4Gareth

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went to Queens today with lots of reservations. After enjoying the tour so much and reading such negative posts about some of the cast I wasn't expecting to enjoy it. And after half an hour I'd made my mind up that I wouldn't be going again, Gareth or no Gareth. However I soon changed my mind. The first scene wasn't on a boat, but showed the convicts digging. I can't really see the point of the revolve and didn't think it improved the show at all. I'm sure it probable makes some of the cast feel a bit sick too as it moves quite quickly. The scenes with the students I thought was must better probably because of the positioning on stage. I also thought Gareth seemed to sing more lines. Either that or you could hear him better. I loved his black costume, It seemed to make him look not so slim and suited his colouring. He also looked amazingly handsome in it. There was an understudy on for Cosette but I can't remember what her name was. She had a lovely voice, very similar to Katie's, but her hair was brown rather than blonde. A Heart Full Of Love was beautiful. Now for Simon Bowman as Valjean. I must say I was very surprised at all the criticism I'd read about him. I actually thought he was very good, especially his acting, The voice may not have been quite as good as JOJ, but it certainly wasn't bad.

There seemed to be a lot more interaction between Gareth and Eponine which led to them appearing to have a much friendlier relationship. That I thought explained the emotion portrayed for Eponine's death. The Barricade was huge just as Gareth had said it was. I really liked that it turned around and you could see the scene where Gavroche died. It was much more real somehow. You also could see Enjolras lying dead on top of the red flag on the back of the barricade. The bit where Valjean carried Marius into the sewers was done through a trap in the floor of the stage, which I thought looked much more realistic, However I didn't think the sewers scene or Javert's suicide scene came across anywhere near as well without the effects they used on the tour. There were a few other things I didn't think worked as well, but some parts I actually thought were better. Gareth was fantastic and you'd never have known that he'd not been in the cast as long as the rest of them. He's converted to all the differences without any problems it seems to me, The setting for Empty Chairs was done with Gareth sat at a table in the cafe. It must have been very different for Gareth, but you'd never have known it.

We didn't have a lot of time after the show as I had to get back for my train, but we decided to wait a little while to see if Gareth came out. We saw virtually every other member of the cast and even John Owen Jones who must have been to watch the show. Just as we were about to give up Gareth appeared, dressed in his leather jacket and a pair of sprayed on jeans, looked drop dead gorgeous as usual. He signed our programs and had pictures taken with several other people who were there waiting for him. Doris took some pictures of him which I expect she'll post up later. I told him I enjoyed the show and asked him how he was. He said Missy was getting quite big and indicated with his hand up to his knees and also said she was chattering away all the time. He still had some of the make up in his hair but still looked fantastic. He then went tearing off down the road and we went to get our trains.

Can't remember anything else at the moment. I didn't expect to enjoy the show as much as I did, with the exception of Gareth of course, but I think I enjoyed it just as much as the tour production.

Oh wow that's a detailed report. Had looked forward to hearing how it all went.

Interesting to read all about the different changes to the production and one thing I didn't realise is Gareth wearing a different colour costume.

It's quite good to read your thoughts on Simon Bowman too because he has come across quite a bit of criticsm. Fancy John Owen Jones being there? Well done him.

Having to dash off now but thanks for all the snippetts. Glad you all had a good time.

Thanks Val for your very interesting report from Les Mis at the Queen's . I have been looking forward to news of the London show. Im glad that you enjoyed the show, I had been worried that it wouldn't be as good as the tour , so glad to hear Gareth has fitted in well and the show sounds great :thumbsup:

I don't think it was quite as good as the Tour Heather, but I think that was down to the fact the Tour was the production I saw first and that set the standards for me The thing I disliked most was how dark everything was. There was very little colour in the whole show. In the opening scene I didn't notice Gareth as a convict at all. It wasn't until Doris said she'd seen him at the back that i knew he was there and I think that was because it was so dark.

Just one little point for anyone booking. We only managed to get tickets quite near the back of the Dress Circle and I had to crouch down in my seat a couple of times because the scenery was very high and where we were we lost the top part behind the hangover a few times. Will definitely not be booking that far back in future.

Also forgot to say in my report how good Rebecca Seale was as Fantine. Much preferred her voice to Madaleine's.

Thanks Val for your report,I have very mixed feelings about the show,thought the first 1/2hour was very dark and dreary.I liked Simon Bowman as Valjean,his voice wasn't as good as JOJ, but I thought he blended into the story more.Seeing him in the role made me realise that JOJ sometimes over-reacted the role to make sure you knew he was the star, whereas Simon knew he was part of a show.

The Ensemble weren't as good as the tour,voices,interaction and acting(no passion).In the student and Barricade scene 'Grantaire'was non existant.

Liked Fantine better than Madaleine,loved Sam Barks,Cossette was played by understudy A.J.Callaghan, her voice was lovely,dark hair and black dress not for me though.Killian as Enjolas,he was fantastic.Norm Lewis was OK in the role of Javert,he seemed a lovely and friendly man at the stage door.

GARETH was great,I thought he had the best and strongest voice of the cast,(biased :grin: not me)never would have thought it was only his 3rd show at Queens.I liked Empty chairs,the wedding scene.I still think I liked Gareth in Blue rather than Black when he first makes an appearance.

At the stage door, as usual Gareth was last out,he was pleased to see us he chatted away whilst signing programmes.He told us about Missy and when someone said I bet Missy loves her Daddy,he blushed,beamed a smile and said "Yes She sure does" :wub:

queens.jpg

queens2.jpg

Lovely to hear those extra snippetts and lovely, of course, to see such great photos :thumbsup:

Hope a couple of days in, having seen this original production you may be clearer in your mind if your prefer it or not to the tour?

(Not sure if I am stressed and can't sleep, or up with the lark) :ph34r: