Les Mis - The Queens

Val4Gareth

We had another lovely day at Les Mis yesterday. Can't really add anything else about the show except to say seeing it at Queens for a second time, confirmed to me that I enjoyed the Tour version better. Having said that I do think the end of the Barricade scene was more gripping being able to see the bodies at the back of the revolve. Also still prefer Empty Chairs with Gareth sat at a table. His voice once again seemed to be better than ever. Lucie Jones was off again and there was also an understudy for JVJ, who I didn't like as much as Simon Bowman.

I can sympathize with the lady who missed the end through fainting. It was extremely hot in the theatre. Don't know if it was the air-conditioning or just that it was a very hot day and they weren't prepared for it.

We saw Gareth afterwards and he was lovely as usual. Said there was a party going on for Missy, which he was missing and also that the new music when we get it will be really good. Couldn't get any more than that out of him, but he was grinning like a Cheshire cat when he said it.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was the air conditioning Val. Killian tweeted to say it wasn't working and therefore very hot in the theatre.

I'm pleased you had another good show. I get the impression Lucie has been off a lot. I know some of it will be booked holiday, but it seems more than most. If I'm honest, I thought she was struggling when I saw her, and having heard that she originally auditioned for Eponine, I wonder if a high soprano role is too vocally challenging. It's much less sympathetic to a tired voice than an alto part, and she was thrown in with very little experience.

That's intersting that you thought the Simon Bowman understudy wasn't as good. You get the impression from some that every other male singer in London could do a better job. Although I also get the impression (from twitter) that yesterday's understudy had very short notice. I'm not sure if that makes much of a difference, lol, but I also think he must be the second understudy as the main one is on regularly. One thing I didn't mention last time was that Simon didn't go up for the one on his big 24601, which left the audience a bit confused as to whether or not he'd finished and they should be clapping the big money note that didn't happen.

That's so exciting what Gareth said about his new music. I won't say too much in here, as it's the wrong thread, but it sounds as if new is definitely new. Shame he missed out on the party. I'm sure he'll make up for it another day. :thumbsup:

I think they may have used two different people for JOJ yesterday as I saw Simon Shorten say he was going to be on for the evening show, but that wasn't the one we had in the afternoon. I can't remember his name, but perhaps VarR will remember. She's pretty good at remembering names.

One thing I didn't meantion. Yesterday was the first time in all the times I've seen the show both Tour and Queens, that there was applause after Eponine's death scene. Was quite surprised, although I've often wondered why its not applauded, as for me its one of the best scenes in the whole show.

I saw it applauded in Manchester, and I think one of the times I saw it in Edinburgh but I think it all depends on the mood of the audience. It's a very touching scene, and if people are savouring the moment, they may not wish the intrusion of clapping. In many ways it's a compliment to be so involved in the moment to "forget" to politely clap. It's different when it's a big number with a big finish, or a song with a very obvious end point. A Little Fall of Rain ends with a death, and moves into how Marius and everyone else reacts.

I know with classical concerts, if and when to clap is something of a hot potato. Purists don't think you should clap until the VERY END, and only then after a good few seconds silence. Some think it's OK to clap at the end of each movement, but again, with the requisite silence, and perhaps not if it's a very reflective piece as it will spoil the flow into the next section.

Personally, I like the peace when it's a reflective piece such as "A Little Fall of Rain", as enthusiastic applause intrudes on the moment, but at the same time it's nice to see/hear the appreciation. Unfortunately, I can't have it both ways!!!

What I don't like is when the applause comes in too soon, even on the big numbers. If you think someone is good, at least let the person finish singing before you drown them out.

As a comparison, Javert's death didn't get a clap when I went to Queen's. Visually, it's a bit of a non-event compared to the tour, but I thought Norm Lewis sang it beautifully, if a bit more meekly than Earl Carpenter. Manchester again clapped very enthusiastically at that the first time I went there, but on time I actually found it a bit crass. Earl had sung it beautifully, and it is visually spectacular, but you'd think people were watching a fire-work display - such was their reaction. They were so quick to ooh and aah that they seemed to forget that one of the principal characters had just sung a very emotional song and killed himself. Actualy, it was more the timing - they were far too quick with the cheering and I was surprised Earl was able to keep in character. On the other hand, I'm sure the effects people were thrilled! :D

So in conclusion, I don't relate clapping to how good or bad a scene is, or even how much the audience appreciates it. Clapping death feels a bit wrong, even when it's pretend.

I went to see the show again yesterday afternoon,although I the enjoyed the show and the company,I don't think it's as good as the tour.

I forgot my camera so decided to use my mobile,the pics are not very clear but I'll post them anyway.

Image0023.jpg

Image0022.jpg

Image0024.jpg

The last picture is Gareth talking to Val about his new music.

Thanks for posting up your pictures Doris. I love this one. Makes me feel like I'm still there chatting to him. You can see the pride in his face when talking about his music can't you.

Image0024.jpg

I think the first one was when he was walking towards us saying `Hi Guys'. Typical! :lol::wub:

Thanks for posting your report Val from your visit yesterday to Les Mis at Queens . I enjoy reading the reports as I don't think I will be going to the show in London, but loved the tour . I'm looking forward to hearing Gareth's new music and thanks Doris for the lovely smiley pics of Gareth :wub:

Thank you for your report Val, I agree about the revolving Barracades found that very moving, hoping to get down again before Gareth finishes. Glad you had a lovely time and saw Gareth.

the new music when we get it will be really good. Couldn't get any more than that out of him, but he was grinning like a Cheshire cat when he said it.
:wub: CAN'T WAIT!

Thanks for telling us :)

Thank you for all the wonderful reports Snowdrop, Val and Doris and the bits and pieces brought over by everyone really enjoyed reading them only catching up now. Think he suits blue rather well thanks for pictures gorgeous and rather excited about the new music comment.

Anya_Jane Anya Jane McRae

@Gareth_Gates you were absolutely AMAZING in Les mis tonight! You blew me away with your singing.. X

RyanHunterUK Ryan Hunter

@Gareth_Gates babes, Stella performance... 1 in a million... Long live Marius! I've got a heart full of love 4 you, you're my world! x

9 hours ago

I think they may have used two different people for JOJ yesterday as I saw Simon Shorten say he was going to be on for the evening show, but that wasn't the one we had in the afternoon. I can't remember his name, but perhaps VarR will remember. She's pretty good at remembering names.

One thing I didn't meantion. Yesterday was the first time in all the times I've seen the show both Tour and Queens, that there was applause after Eponine's death scene. Was quite surprised, although I've often wondered why its not applauded, as for me its one of the best scenes in the whole show.

You're right Val, Simon Shorten did the evening show. Jonathan Williams played Valjean for our show and I actually like him as he plays the role as a very sympathetic rather than an angry man. However, I think maybe he wasn't well on Wednesday as his voice wasn't as strong as when I saw him last week, and last week he carried Gareth in various ways through the sewers whereas on Wednesday he just half carried him with Gareth arms round his shoulder and walking the whole scene.

I too noticed the applause after 'Little Fall of Rain' and didn't actually like it as I think it interrupted the whole atmosphere of grief from Marius and the students! Also I was really annoyed (though none of the others heard it) that the 3 people behind me thought they had come to a comedy!! Ok to laugh at the Thenardiers but they laughed at so many inappropriate things, oohed and aahed at every fight and sign of violence and even said 'oh no' when Gavroche was shot! One of them was french and seemed to need a lot of explaining to as to what was happening! I spoke to the lady sitting next to me, at the interval, I think she was Japanese, and she was as annoyed by them as I was and said what can we do about them. - 'we should turn round and tell them in England we don't talk in the theatre'!

In the end we just turned round and shushed them but it made no difference!

I didn't think the understudy for Cossette had a strong enough voice, but neither has Lucie Jones and the lady next to me said she thought they should reverse the actors and have Sam Barks playing Cossette and the one playing Cosette as Eponine, I think she's right as Sam Barks is far too pretty for Eponine and has a lovely voice - wonder why the casting people didn't think the same?

Still I will always enjoy the show just because I love the music so much!

Thanks for the photos Doris, Gareth looked as lovely as always and seemed to be very happy.:thumbsup:

Love Val xxx

Just loved reading all the new reports and 'stage door' photos. All looking and sounding really good.

I have enjoyed reading different people's thoughts and comparisons between the tour and the West End too. Seems the Tour is winning at the moment with parts of the West End version better in parts.

It's so good to read of reports back when they have met Gareth at the stage door too. Those little extras are a huge bonus.

The new music is sounding exciting too. So good that he will be able to get his own music heard while still playing a big part in musical theatre too.

He didn't happen to say what his next theatre part will be did he :ph34r:

Thanks to everyone.

Thank you for all your reports back from Les Mis at the Queens, and unsure whether I'll get to see it, it's great to read everyone's reports. Does anyone know the date Gareth is due to finish at the queens?

Gareth's last day in Les Mis is on Saturday 18th June Katie.(I'm going to the Matinee) :thumbsup:

It looks as if Gareth is off today as Matt has posted this on twitter.

MatSeadonYoung Matthew Seadon-Young

Mariusing today folks. Dust off those vocal chords!

That's a shame for anyone going to see Gareth. I don't suppose we know if he planned to take the day off, or if he's just not well. It appears that quite a few people have been off sick this week, so that's quite likely, but Gareth isn't good at telling us his planned holidays, and he's long overdue one of them too.

Gareth was poorly yesterday

Wonder what the Cardiff trip is for.

I am guessing Gareth has gone to this party.

Tweet from earlier in the week.

Dave_White82 Dave White

@Gareth_Gates happy birthday to Missy, so we are seeing you on Sunday for the Mackers party, can't wait dude

6 Apr Favorite Retweet Reply ยป

Rhdian Marc just tweeted.

RhidianMarc Rhidian Marc

This weekend I will be in Cardiff watching the #WWRYTour and celebrating a friends birthday. Should be a merry old time