Les Mis - The Queens

Val4Gareth

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Obviously Gareth is very impressed. Must admit to liking to see theses two great singers together.

Does Alfie have to carry Gareth?

Mine too Sophie.

Really pleased for Gareth that he had the chance to sing with Alfie though I also love John Owen Jones as Valjean.

I would love to see Alfie try to carry Gareth - think they might have had to use the arm round the shoulder technique instead!:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NicolaJayne

It looks like Gareth was doing a spot

of DJ ing at The Les Mis leaving party last night :)

http://twitter.com/#!/MatSeadonYoung

Awesome night. Gareth Gates is a class act on the decks!

3 hours ago Favorite

Thanks Heather

I did wonder where Gareth was going last night as he arrived in a T shirt with his suit on a hanger.

and came out after in a smart Black and white shirt and black tie.

Hope everyone going to one (or both!) of the final shows tomorrow/today has a fantastic time. I was there for the two shows two weeks ago and also saw Gareth before, between and after the performances. (He must have thought I was stalking him!) It was a brilliant day and I was so pleased to see Gareth as Marius in the Queen's production. I loved the tour but had first seen Les Mis at the Queen's in 2008, so was keen to go back there. I must admit that I think the barricade is brilliant at the Queen's and I do like Marius singing 'Empty Chairs At Empty Tables' in the empty ABC Cafe. I honestly think that both productions have their own strengths and I'm glad Gareth had the chance to perform in both.

Don't forget to look out for Gareth in the early scenes when he appears as a convict, a farmworker, a factory worker, a guard and a judge (enthusiastically banging his gavel) and perhaps more - like he did in the tour.

Once again, have a great time and let the rest of us know how the shows went. There will be more tears than usual, I suspect, and from the cast too :(

Linda

Has anyone had news of how today's performances went? Gareth has been very quiet - I've seen posts by other cast members but nothing from him since this morning. The last eighteen months seem to have flown past but they have been amazing.

Linda

Just arrived home tired (but still excited) and emotional!

Had a fabulous day. Loved the show at the Queens, my first since the tour.

I wasn't sure what to expect as I soooo loved the tour but have to say I really loved the West End version too.

The barricades were so dramatic and Gareth singing at the Empty Chairs was so much more appropriate. What struck me most was the lighting. It seemed to define every aspect of the stage.

I wasn't very impressed with Jean Val Jean or Cossette. For me the best to ever play these roles are John Owen Jones and Katie Hall. I loved both the factory foreman and Enjrolas.

Then there was they guy in the black coat! (The outfit I didn't like when I saw it on Alan Tichmarsh, suddenly seemed to look very dashing on this very handsome Marius)!!

Gareth was superb and his voice tremendous. Although I didn't rate Lucie Jones there was a special tenderness between her and Gareth. I really wouldn't like to be there tonight on the last performance as he held her for the last time as I think it would have been far too emotional. It was bad enough this afternoon.

On a brighter note Gareth came out to the stage door where it was absolutely teaming with rain and where loads were waiting patiently. He appeared with his brolly and having signed and happily stood for photographs he went running off down the street. (Think there may be a few photos to follow :thumbsup: )

To sum up the afternoon, great company, great musical but now feeling quite sad :( (which I didn't think I would be).

Thanks for your report Eternal and so pleased you had a brilliant day. The barricade is pretty stunning, isn't it? I assume you had Simon Bowman playing Valjean (he hardly seems to have been around lately), it was Simon Shorten when I went and he was very good (not quite JOJ though).

As for the young gentleman in the black coat..... He was pretty good when I went too!

Gareth headed off down Shaftesbury Avenue between the shows when I was there, presumably to have something to eat. Bet it was busy at the stage door today, I remember what it was like on the last day of Joseph.

Thanks again. Now we have the summer gigs to look forward to.

Linda

No it wasn't Simon Bowman playing Jean Val Jean. I can't remember the understudy's name (but am hoping someone who is brill with names will come on tomorrow and put me right).

Having come on and posted straight away on arriving home I know there are lots I have missed but hoping the others come on and remind me.

A first for me today was seeing so many people standing at the back (upstairs in the Dress Circle). Of all the times I have been to the theate I have never seen that before.

The first understudy for JVJ is Jonathan Williams who is supposed to be good, but haven't seen him myself.

Yes that's him. He was ok but his wig didn't seem to fit his head, which I kept concentrating on more than his singing :lol:

I bet a lot of the people standing were employees at the Queen's taking a final chance of seeing this cast.

Oh didn't think of this.

Wonder how Gareth is feeling today?

There were definitely people with standing tickets for yesterday's show, as someone on twitter was talking about doing so. I also so quite a few people with standing tickets when I went to the show in Manchester last year. I don't think they are widely advertised, but most shows will sell standing spaces, if room permits, if you ask.

Yesterday was fantastic,very emotional,the atmosphere in the theatre was different from normal.There was a sign outside the theatre at lunch time when we arrived "House Full",the theatre was full as well as a double row of people standing up at the back of the circle.

I still love the tour best, but do think that the Barricade and ECAET scenes are better at Queens than the tour.I noticed a few small changes during the show,the biggest being Gareth put on Eponines hat when she died ,he wore it for the whole of the Barricade scene,it was only taken off when he was injured to cover his wound.

Gareth couldn't have had any louder applause and cheering ,after ECAET and taking his bow,was lovely to hear.

Outside the stagedoor it was chaos,pouring down with rain,Gareth came out smiling with his umberella up, had lots of pics taken with people,then said this is mad, went back in for a minute before coming out for a second time,he went back in again for a few minutes,came out did a couple more pics before running down the road.I have a few pics of Gareth at the stage door,BUT I can't find my camera at the moment.

Thanks Chris and Doris for your reports, I think you've pretty much covered everything there. I hope you find your camera Doris, the close up photo of Gareth is so good! For the first time I even felt emotional at the interval, I think just knowing it would be the last time seeing Gareth as Marius got to me, and the applause and standing ovation at the end was just amazing. You could see some of the cast looking up and taking it all in, I expect for some it will be the best audiences of their career, not too may shows (if any) still having totally full theatres after 25 years!

Thanks to the friends that I've enjoyed the last Les Mis 18 months with, we've had a wonderful time haven't we?:thumbsup:

BUT I can't find my camera at the moment.

Oh no, what a shame. Do so hope you find it.

Thanks to the friends that I've enjoyed the last Les Mis 18 month s with, we've had a wondertime haven't we?

We certainly have)wiping away another tear). Let's not see this as the end but of a new beginning.

Shall we give Derbyshire some more thought??