Gareth at Pontins Prestatyn, Sunday 14th August

omg i finally got to see gareth close up ,it was superb , he was so good sang alot of rock songs but his cover of valerie and akiller song was outsatnding all the crowd was singing along , igot to meet him after and gve him amassive cuddle unfortuntaly my camera died so i didnt get aphoto but who cares because i got to meet him , if he is still in pontins tonight ill be gutted coz i only live up the road lol im still coming down from the buzz x

hi thankyou for the welcome ,i saw gareth at blackpool afew years back ,but never got to see him so close , but last night i was at the front of stage , the build up was electricfying the bluecoats kept shouting who want s to see gareth and the screams were loud , lots of cheers the wait was agonizing i was so excited and im 43 lol gareth was about 10 mins late , but he came on and the crowd went wild started of with aqueen song sorry i forgot which 1, must of sang approx 15 songs , valerie , killers song , living on aprayer, toto rosemary, sweetchild ofmine , which the crowd loved , there were others but i couldnt take it all him coz i was transfixed on gareth i was crying bit got emotional have waited almost 11years to see gareth live , he kept puting mike into the crowd so people could sing which i thought was loverly. so many people down on stage areafrom young children to teens and older people like me , gareth was so loverly and the crowd loved him . the photo signing was loverly aswell he made you feel so special ,i must admit i cuddled him so hard but he was astar he so good looking close up , ireally hope some1 else can tell you so much more ,but like i said because i never seen gareth close up before i was transfixed ,his last song was spiritinthe sky the crowd went wild at that moment xx

he sang adele song some1 like you ,awham song ,summer of 69 ,sex on fire ,sunshine

Thanks so much for your report. Your excitement really comes through in your message.

I have a picture of you thinking frantically 'I need to tell someone, :jump: I need to tell someone, :jump: who can I tell? :jump: ' and you came here. It's brilliant.

So glad you finally managed to meet Gareth.

If there are any more snippets that you think of as the day unfolds please don't hesitate to pop back and share them.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Come down' Alison, 'come down' ha! ha! Welcome to the site. Hearing your excitement actually made my own heartbeat go faster!!

Yes, he is sooooo good looking close up. And as beautiful as he is on the outside, he really is as beautiful on the inside. That's why we have all followed him so faithfully, I reckon.

Thank you so much for you're beautiful report Alison :thumbsup: i'm so pleased for you not only seeing him sing close up for the first time but also meeting him the first time too :) there is nothing like the magic of that feeling is there?

Your excitment at this experience reminds me of how I felt when I seen him perform close and met him for the first time which was a gig there was a competition for to showcase some new songs from his pictures of he other side album.

It's kind of uncanny actually that my camera died too my first time lol but at the time having the experience in my memory was equally important to me as a pic would of been :)

Thank you so much for posting Alison. You sound to have had a great night , I'm very glad for you to get up close to Gareth and having a cuddle for the first time . The song list sounds great,I like Gareth singing the rock songs and it's good to know Gareth went down well with the crowds :thumbsup:

alison, on 15 August 2011 - 01:12 PM, said:

hi thankyou for the welcome ,i saw gareth at blackpool afew years back ,but never got to see him so close , but last night i was at the front of stage , the build up was electricfying the bluecoats kept shouting who want s to see gareth and the screams were loud , lots of cheers the wait was agonizing i was so excited and im 43 lol gareth was about 10 mins late , but he came on and the crowd went wild started of with aqueen song sorry i forgot which 1, must of sang approx 15 songs , valerie , killers song , living on aprayer, toto rosemary, sweetchild ofmine , which the crowd loved , there were others but i couldnt take it all him coz i was transfixed on gareth i was crying bit got emotional have waited almost 11years to see gareth live , he kept puting mike into the crowd so people could sing which i thought was loverly. so many people down on stage areafrom young children to teens and older people like me , gareth was so loverly and the crowd loved him . the photo signing was loverly aswell he made you feel so special ,i must admit i cuddled him so hard but he was astar he so good looking close up , ireally hope some1 else can tell you so much more ,but like i said because i never seen gareth close up before i was transfixed ,his last song was spiritinthe sky the crowd went wild at that moment xx

It was lovey to read your report Alison, can really feel your excitement got a feeling you won't be coming back down for a while :jump: really happy for you :D

You asked for it, June: “I look forward to your report Linda, I want every detail Please” Well here goes, are you sitting comfortably? But then, perhaps all you want to know is GARETH ROCKS!! More details? Oh, OK then.

As Prestatyn is about an hour and a half from where I live, I was excited when I saw the gig announced. Then I couldn't find any details about it and whether it was open to non-residents. Eventually on Saturday it was mentioned in the flyer at the top of the main Pontin's site but no details. I did know that you can get day passes, so decided to go anyway.

I arrived at Pontin's just before 3pm and was able to get a day pass for £5 (think it would have still been £5 if I'd had a car-full). I went in to have a look around and find where he would be performing – a large room with a stage with a wooden clear area in front, tables and chairs and then a raised, tiered seating area. The blue-coat on stage at the time mentioned that Gareth would be there later. However I didn't notice any posters advertising his appearance. The place was pretty depressing to be quite honest, so I went for a drive around Prestatyn, Rhyl and ended up on a beach near Talacre, where I spent a couple of hours.

I returned to Pontin's at about 7 and had a look inside – the tables were all occupied – and there was some kids' entertainment going on. A sheet detailing the day's entertainment mentioned “worlf famous Gareth Gates”. (Spelling mistake their's not mine.) I had a wander about outside, popping in every so often, sat in the reception area until I went into the performance area at about 10 to 9. There really wasn't anywhere to sit (perhaps in the tiered area but this was a long way back), so I stood at the back of the tables.

From about 9.30 members of Gareth's band would appear on stage making sure everything was set up and then at quarter to 10 Gareth burst on stage. I started recording on my MP3 player – a truly awful recording, believe me, but at least I can just about make out the songs (list in a bit). Then I noticed people starting to fill the area just in front of the stage, so I joined them. I managed to get to a position near the centre of the stage with about 3 people in front of me. It was brilliant being so close to Gareth while he performed. I could see every bead of sweat – it was extremely hot in there – and Gareth had to keep having drinks and mopping his face.

As usual, Gareth got the crowd involved, bantered with his band members and showcased some of their talents when they performed solos. He went from one classic song to another:

1.Summer Of '69

2.Don't Stop Me Now

3.Build Me Up, Buttercup (for the oldies and he could see plenty!!)

4.Suspicious Minds

5.My Brown-Eyed Girl

6.Sunshine

7.Wake Me Up Before You Go (one from the 80s)

8.Valerie

9.Someone Like You (huge cheers after this)

10.Sweet Child Of Mine

11.Here I Go Again (I think, one by Whitesnake)

12.Livin' On A Prayer

Then........I fainted! How embarassing – this was something I thought youngsters did, not women of more mature years. At the end of Livin' On A Prayer, I did something with my mouth which made my jaw lock with a shooting pain. As I wondered whether it would stop hurting, I suddenly felt faint and before I could really think what to do, my head it the floor. Gave the people around me a bit of a shock! I know I tried to stand up but don't know whether I did or not. The next thing I knew I was lying on the floor surrounded by people, including several from Pontin's. They kept asking questions but I couldn't hear a thing. Eventually they managed to get me up and took me to the fire exit, still inside but with an outside door open and sat me on a chair. Although I was feeling awful, I could hear Gareth performing and kept thinking I was missing it.

I kept being asked whether I had a medical condition that would cause fainting (yes I have, but not one that would make me faint) or whether they needed to call an ambulance. I said that I had got really hot, I'd been standing a long time and that I was probably dehydrated. Dani, the blue-coat who was looking after me by this time, got me a bottle of water. I was then moved outside and slowly I revived. The duty-manager offered me a room for the night if I didn't feel able to drive. My opinion of Pontin's changed a bit – the staff could not have been more caring.

I was talking to Dani about Gareth and she said that she had been asked to look after him backstage. She said that he was lovely (as we know) and that he wasn't at all demanding. Some people treat them like servants apparently. I talked about his performance and she was surprised and delighted that he had brought a band and was performing live. (The Cheeky Girls did about 3 songs then mimed!) She really seemed very impressed and then said he was doing a signing session in the dining room. By this time I was much better and we heard Gareth finishing with Spirit In The Sky. I thought that my MP3 player might have picked up some hint of his other songs, but it must have got switched to pause when I fell, because there is no more after LOAP. I think I heard Your Sex Is On Fire, possibly Mr Brightside and Somebody Told Me, but there were probably a couple more.

I then went to wait for the signing – long queue, 3 people wide mainly – and that's when I realised I was missing my glasses. My jacket, camera, keys and bag had all been picked up, but as I can see generally without the glasses I hadn't noticed they had gone. They hadn't been handed in either. We waited for quite a while – Gareth must have been exhausted – and just as he came in, I felt faint again but made it to a seat in time. I was able to rejoin the queue and met Gareth again. When I told him that I had fainted, he said, “Oh, that was you!” and gave me a hug. He then signed my Manchester Les Mis programme because when I saw that I wasn't well enough to go to the stage door (couldn't walk very far). Then I had another hug and our picture was taken – lovely one of Gareth, not saying anything about me. He remembered my name when he signed!

Well, that's it. I hung around a little longer and then thought I'd better go. It was by then past midnight and Gareth was still signing. I got home OK although I did head in the wrong direction on the A55 but immediately realised my mistake. Today I feel a bit battered and bruised and my neck and top of my shoulders are quite sore – whiplash?

Gareth was brilliant and I'm just sorry that I didn't manage the whole performance.

Sorry this is so long,

Linda

Good heavens Linda, what an awful experience for you. Such a shame you missed some of the gig, but what you did hear sounds fantastic. It was good to hear all the Pontins staff were so good to you. I hope you're feeling OK now. Did you manage to get your glasses back?

Thank you for typing all that up for us. I'm so glad you enjoyed what you did see and I'm glad you got home safely after such an experience. :hug:

Thank you so much for your detailed report, so sorry to hear you fainted and missed some of Gareth's performance, I hope you are ok now. Thank you also for the list of songs Gareth sang, so many, looks like the Maidstone & Dartford gig combined. I am glad you got to see Gareth afterwards and got home safely too, hope you are soon feeling better.

Guest NicolaJayne

Thank you Linda for your full report on seeing Gareth.

I feel so sorry for you fainting,and can imagine how you must have felt when you came round.

Its one way of getting Gareth to notice you (only joking)

Nice that it got you a cuddle though. :)

Hi Linda, did you get your bag and keys back? I do hope so and I hope you are feeling ok again. What a thing to happen right infront of Gareth, but you got a nice hug from him. :thumbsup:

Thanks for your detailed report, it must have been a great evening. (apart from being not well ofcourse).

Thought I'd decide to post on here rather than official for a change :)

Well I first decided to go cos its about 15 mins away from where my boyfriend lives and then my mum had the day off so both my parents got there.

We arrived at around 3.15, and then my mum got a seat inside at the front at around 5 to which everyone else joined her, I then happened to stand up and go check that Gareth was on in there and to my surprise Gareth was at the door just going out, so me and my mum quickly went out and he was in a rush cos he wasn't meant to be outside but had time to give us a hug and a quick picture, we were happy as this was half 6 and we were going to go outside to wait for him so instead had some drinks.

He was late coming on (typical Gareth haha) but he was absolutely amazing, he sang lots of covers which was good, although I did want a few more of his own but I suppose its more to suit the crowd of people knowing the songs whereas I wanted POTS songs. The set list was:

1) Summer of 69

2) Don't stop me now

3) Build me up buttercup

4) Suspicious Minds

5) Brown Eyed Girl

6) Sunshine

7) Wake me up before you go go

8) Valerie

9) Someone Like you (don't like adele but Gareths version was beautiful)

10) Sweet Child O Mine

11) Here we go again

12) Livin on a prayer

13) Mr Brightside

14) Rosanna

15) Sex on fire (one of mine and my boyfriends fave songs when we met so that was awesome to hear)

16) Somebody Told Me

17) Spirit in the sky (he got the crowd to sing and when he came to mine he got me to sing the chorus haha)

Well like I said it was brilliant, Gareth was sooooo great on stage with the crowd, he even impressed my boyfriend with his voice and the rock songs so that was a bonus, my mum loved it as usual.

Afterwards we waited to see him again so I could have a picture with Gareth, my mum and boyfriend, he apologized for not being able to talk for long when we saw him earlier and also told us he'd had a fair few drinks haha.

Such a brilliant day, I do have photos and videos.

Hi Nat. Lovely to see you posting again. Thanks for your lovely report and the full song-list. How did your boyfriend take you singing with Gareth on stage? Did he mind? Gareth probably recognized you from all the other times you've seen him.

Sounds like you had a brilliant day. Look forward to seeing your pics and your videos if you have the time to put them up.

Hope all is going well with you.

Thanks for all your concerns. Despite the incident I wouldn't have missed the day - it was brilliant seeing Gareth so close and of course the lovely hugs :hug::blush:

Meant to say that Mike Choi was acting as Gareth's manager this weekend, so was standing by during the signing and even took some photos for some people. Just after my photo, Pete (the guitarist) crept up behind Gareth and probably got included in the picture being taken. He and Gareth hugged and appeared to thank each other for the weekend. I'm sure Gareth made a great impression on so many people who saw him yesterday - he was a world away from the other entertainment that evening. It's great that Gareth is doing so many varied events (although I'm sure some of the press would go to town on him appearing at Pontin's, if it had been more widely publicised). He is managing to give a very wide range of people the opportunity to see him. There was a young girl in front of me who was very nervous and shy when she got to Gareth. She shied away from a hug, so he grabbed her and gave her a kiss - it was lovely, as it was when earlier he had picked up a little girl (about Missy's age) and gave her a hug.

It was only my glasses that I lost and, no, they haven't been found. It's a shame as they were a new pair that I'd only had a few months, still never mind. I'm fine, except for a stiff neck. I'm not sure how much Gareth actually witnessed but he must have known something had happened and I suspect that Dani would have said something to him. Indeed what a way to get noticed :excl:

Linda

Thank you so much for your lovely reports Linda and Nat :)

I'm sorry to hear you was unwell Linda and fainted :hug: must of been so scary finding you didn't have your bag etc,hope you got them back safe and sound.

Its lovely to hear your boyfriend loved Gareths performance Nat :D sounds like such an aazing night him siging all them songs :)

Hi Nat. It must have been you, your Mum and boyfriend that were just in front of me in the signing queue. It was your Mum that kept my place for me when I felt faint again. Thank her for me. Also thanks for the full song list, at least I know what I missed now.

Linda