Official site revamp & their message boards are closing

Khelda

Taken off the Official site:

Hi all,

As you all know we are busy working on Gareth's new site. We have taken all your comments into account and are addressing as many of them as we can. Thanks for the great feedback! We hope that you are all as excited about the new site as we are.

One side effect of moving servers and changing sites is that unfortunately we are no longer able to run the message boards. These will be closing at the end of next week (Fri 2nd Sep). Moving forward we would encourage you all to send your messages via Twitter and the Facebook page. We will make sure that these are as integrated into the new site as we can. Stay tuned for more info coming soon about the new site.

Thanks a lot.

Gareth's team

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's a shame, but it seems it's becoming more and more normal for official websites to ditch the fan forum section. I presume they presume it's too much hassle, and in these days of social networking, they don't see the point. Personally, I think there is a lot to be gained from a proper forum. However, it is also fair to say that for the majority of fans, fan forums are not even on their radar.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the new site is like. The most important thing is that it is kept up to date and attention is paid to maintaining the details. At the minute, you rely on forums to find someone who has done the detective work.

It is sad, but not really a surprise.

And I hope they showcase lots of Gareth's music, old and new.

Well, they have said they will try to incorporate as many suggestions as possible and lots of people asked for Gareth's music to be put on the new site, so hopefully that will happen.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what the new site is like.

Maria, the message definitely says that the current boards will close, and after the website has moved to the new server, we've to use twitter and Facebook to interact. They mean to use them in place of the boards. I think people need to be prepared for there being no official forum. If there are any photos or reports on the existing message boards, save them now.

The good news is that after years of only having a forum, and not any of the other bits that should come with a website, we are at least going to get those bits. I just hope they are properly maintained. At least when the news section wasn't being updated, we could check the forum to see if any fans had posted.

While it is sort of sad that the official site is closing, it's new and exciting that a new site is underway.

Really, there hasn't been an official site for so long. There has only been a message boards.

It is now time that a site needs to be built with links to Gareth's music and updates of when and where he can be seen.

Does this mean this forum won't be running either? I am away from tomorrow and won't be able to save anything on here. yikes!

Sue this forum will DEFINITELY still be here so don't worry. This is run by (and paid for) by some Gareth fans :thumbsup:

Yes, it's just the official forums that are closing. We're independent of Gareth and his management, and all the work on here is done by fans. We're definitely staying open.

If anyone has any posts or reports on the OS that they'd like to keep, you can transfer them over here. I've started dedicated threads in "Chat" for reports from Gareth's time in Les Miserables, and one for general gigs. Please feel free to start a new thread for any stuff you want archiving that doesn't fit into those categories.

If might be a good idea to contact any fans you know that are less regular visitors to the OS. I'd hate to think of anyone coming online next weekend to nothing, and wondering where we've all gone! Especially as it might take a few days before the new site is fully up and running in its new form.

Guest NicolaJayne

Do they not just mean they will be no longer able to run the current message boards after next week while they are changing servers to the new site? rather than it mean they wont be a forum on the new site.

This is exactly what I thought when I read it Maria, and I do hope that is what they meant. I can't imagine a new Gareth site with no message boards or pm facility.

I think it's great that we're getting a new Official Website, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what it looks like. I do hope, like others have said that it will be updated and maintained properly.

In a way it's good the official forums are closing - there was a bad atmosphere on there and not many people on it. I managed to remember my old details for this site so I thought I'd start posting again!!

In a way it's good the official forums are closing - there was a bad atmosphere on there and not many people on it. I managed to remember my old details for this site so I thought I'd start posting again!!

Good to have you back. Hope you'll keep posting. :thumbsup: