Acoustic Gig Sunday December 18th Stratford-on-Avon

eternal

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aww glad you are going :) I don't know if you replied to my original post or edited one,I didn't say I was pleased for you in my original one and it came across as though I was jealous I hadn't been to a 45 acoustic set.

Oh yeah if it has changes its risky incase you miss your stop,how long is the journey after the last change if you know and is stratford its last stop? maybe you could just sleep on the last part,and lisen to Gareth songs for some of your journey x

Well, I've taken the plunge and am going. Think I might take your advice and take a pillow with me Maria, so I can have a sleep. Only problem with that is I have two changes and may sleep past my stop.

Brill news. :jump: So glad you have decided to go.

Forget the pillow - you are going to a gig! Just plug those earphones in with your music.

Now to get instructions how to video and upload it to computer!! :unsure:

Think your encouragement helped Maria. :thumbsup:

Guest NicolaJayne

I think you are very brave Val to go all that way on your own. Hope you have a wonderful time as I am sure you will at the acoustic gig, and tell us all about it afterwards. Even better if you can video even a little bit of it. Its often difficult though as they can be quite strict on these things.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny you should say that Snowdrop. Was just discussing this with Chris on the phone. Gareth is supposed to be doing two 45 min sets and I was just saying maybe one of them would be of Christmas songs. I'm hoping it will. Love Gareth singing Christmas songs. Really looking forward to Sunday. On a real high right now.

Well, I'm not anywhere near as good at writing reports as some others are but just a little of what was a really fantastic evening.

Met Chris and booked in to the hotel. We went to get a bite to eat and then made our way to Cox's Yard for 8.15 as the tickets said it started at 8. When we got there, there was a board saying doors opened at 8.30 so we went for a short walk around Stratford. When we got back at 8.40 there was quite a long queue to get in and when we did all the seats were taken. A very kind man went and fetched us some more and we had a brilliant view without feeling self-conscious that we were sitting on top of him. He sang 16 songs in total, 7 in each set and two encores. Came out for the second set with a pint in his hand. He made a joke about when he'd finished it he was drinking Fosters . A young lady who was stood up at the bar asked if she could get him one and he again joked that he was driving but would have a half.

There was quite a bit of chat throughout the evening making special comments when he sang one of his own songs, especially AOU which he called a `Classic'. He also said he wished the Adele song was one of his, which I think he'd said before at one time. There was such a lovely raport between him, Pete and the Keyboard player, whose name I can't remember. And my god could they play those instruments. The crowd loved it. Even a couple of young men who at the beginning were making a few snide comments, but who by the end were just as enthralled as the rest of us. Spoke to Hayley and her mum which was lovely and we also saw Sharon the lady who was at the Valentines evening in Birmingham who took the videos. She is such a hoot. Said she'd hoped there would be no-one else there so she could have him to herself. We also saw Ann and her husband and had a chat with them as they were leaving.

Being that Gareth was a half-hour late arriving so the gig went on later than expected I didn't really think he'd stay afterwards, but Gareth being the fantastic person that he is didn't leave until he'd signed pieces of paper which were all there ready for him and had pictures taken with anyone who wanted them. Had a lovely chat with him and he was so lovely as usual.

These are the songs he sang in the order in which he sang them.

His Eye Is On The Sparrow

Gravity

Sweet Child of Mine

Anyone Of Us

Someone Like You

Mr Brightside

Heaven

Sunshine

Your Sex Is On Fire

Can't Believe Its Over (where he sang the wrong words) but which he said was his favourite off his last album.

Angel On My Shoulder (which he again said he wrote for his mum)

Summer of '69

Spirit In The Sky

Livin on a Prayer

More Than Words.

I think it was the exact same set as he sang at Pizza Express, which I was quite glad about as I didn't want to spoilt my enjoyment by trying to video anything, but did take a few pictures which I'll try to get uploaded.

I joked with him about singing the wrong words and he said it was because he was tired, but you'd never have known he was. Also thanked him for His Eye Is On The Sparrow as I'd been wanting to hear him sing that in particular. Such a fantastic evening, I wish I could do it all again tonight.

Val I had been waiting, but it certainly was worth the wait. Loved your fantastic report. :thumbsup:

Sounds like a brilliant evening, and so pleased it was full up and everyone enjoyed themselves. :)

I am also pleased he is putting a couple of his own songs from his last album into the set. I love those songs.