Green fingered Gareth! Tree planting for Foster Care Fortnight

Snowdrop

There is an article in today's T&A that raises several issues about fostering and the care system. One of the stats is that a child goes into care every 22 minutes in the UK. To mark this, they are planting 22 trees. Gareth will be planting one!

To further highlight the campaign, Mr Gates, whose parents are foster carers and have looked after about 50 children over the years, is supporting Foster Care Fortnight. He will be planting the first tree in a new Looked After Children’s Woodland in Roberts Park, Saltaire, next week – the first of 22 to mark the fact that nationally, a child comes into care every 22 minutes.

He said: “Many of the kids who came into our family didn’t have a great start in life and I know my mum and dad made a huge difference.”

Read the full article here.

I love this whole idea. I have seen a few TV folks 'planting' trees. They don't usually don the whole gardening outfit do they? It's usually just a few token spades full of earth filling in a hole. We won't see him in his gardening gear but bet he will be one of the coolest planters of trees ;)

They seem to have changed the Calendar site , you used to be able to watch the full show again. I have recorded it, but it's in my V+ box . It shows Gareth digging the soil with a spade and flattening it down with his feet . Nice full view shots , then the little interview , which is from the waist up as shown on the site .