Legally Blonde - Tour from July 17th - CONFIRMED

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NicolaJayne

Thank you for the video Heather not watched it all, but it looks fun.

Says Warner ends up without a Diploma, no girlfriend and no job projects sounds just the opposite of Gareth, and a complete change yet again for him.

Floz and anyone else who has seen the show, how much is Warner in it for? as not sure if its a small part or not.

Not sure I can remember clearly, but I don't think its a huge part. Its all about the girls really.

the first time I saw the show I wasn't really looking forward to it as I went to keep my daughter company but I was pleased it was quite good. I spoke to Manchester before booking to ask about Gareth they said cast to be confirmed but I booked anyway as it is the touring show and Gareth must be in it fingers crossed

I think Loserville sounds just as young as Eternally Blonde , but from what I've heard I think I'll prefer Loserville music .

I think I feel the same Heather. Wasn't too keen on the music I heard on that video. Still I'm sure it will sound better with Gareth singing it and Jennifer Ellison has a better voice than the girl singing in that production. Have you any idea which production that was from?

I think I feel the same Heather. Wasn't too keen on the music I heard on that video. Still I'm sure it will sound better with Gareth singing it and Jennifer Ellison has a better voice than the girl singing in that production. Have you any idea which production that was from?

No Val sorry , I just found it on youtube when looking to see what the music is like .

Hello! I've been signed up here for years but only come on occasionally to check out the goings on but I don't pass up a chance to comment on the goings on of Musical Land. The cast in the above video is the original Broadway cast, that was from a televised special on MTV a few years ago. Warner is basically the "sleazy and bit stupid but altogether good looking ex boyfriend". He's not a HUGE role but it was originated in the West End by Duncan James from Blue so I can see why they would have chosen Gareth (Ray Quinn on the other hand...). I think in terms of acting, it's quite similar to what Eddie's going to be like in Loserville.

(I know some of you follow me on the ol' Twitter so it's @hebbyhardheart. Hi!)

Hi Heather. Good to have you with us at last. Thanks for giving us a bit of an insight into Legally Blonde and where the video clip was from. Two badies in a row for Gareth then, that should see off his good boy image for him. :lol::thumbsup:

I hope you're going to stick around and join in our rather basic discussions on Musical Theatre. :thumbsup:

Thanks Heather, it's good to have your insight. :D

I wouldn't have thought of Legally Blonde as being particularly "young". It is set against the backdrop of the main characters going to uni, and it isn't meant to be taken very seriously, but I don't think there is anything to put off older theatre fans from enjoying it. Obviously, none of us have seen Loserville yet, but it's set in a high school! So I would say that is more likely to be for a younger audience - but so was the film Grease, and I think we've all enjoyed that long after leaving school! :lol:

Thanks folks :)

I don't believe in age ranges for musicals, i think it all just comes down to what you like. It's a very fun, lighthearted musical. It's VERY pink. It's already done its Scottish run so unless it comes back I won't get to see it again but I'd be interested to see Gareth in that role. Jennifer Ellison I can take or leave.

Welcome Heather. "Very Pink" is sounding good. Thanks.

Sometimes I pop on the theatre websites and some of the folks seem like they take a notebook with them to a show and jot down every different note played or scenery placed on a different spot!! Blimey I go to the theatre to be entertained and to come out singing the songs and feeling uplifted.

This looks like my sort of show!!

Think Gareth will make a good Warner too, judging by the clip Yorksheather has uploaded. Thanks for the insight into the show.

The reviews are brill. See here http://www.legallyblondethemusical.co.uk/tour/news-reviews/press-reviews/

and

'Legally Blonde simply blows other musicals out of the water. Sensational'

The Sun

'Perfection'

The Independent

'Smart, sassy, spectacular.'

The Daily Telegraph

'Hysterically funny'

The Mail on Sunday

It's exciting isn't it?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Romantic Comedy, Musical Fun and Gareth. What more could you want

http://www.banburygu...l-fun-1-4055967

Published on Friday 13 July 2012 13:52

INTERNATIONAL award-winning hit Legally Blonde The Musical is coming to the New Theatre, Oxford.

The all-singing all-dancing romantic comedy is appearing in Oxford from July 17-21 and is looking to be a huge hit with Gareth Gates and Jennifer Ellison the latest celebrities to sign up to star in the show.

Legally Blonde The Musical has received huge critical acclaim and has won seven major awards including the coveted Best Musical 2011 at the Olivier Awards.

The Daily Telegraph has described the musical as being “Right up there alongside Mamma Mia and Hairspray” and it is set to continue this success in Oxford this month.

The musical tells the story of pretty but dumb Elle Woods, who when dumped by her boyfriend Warner decides to follow him to Harvard Law School and win him back. With some help from her new-found friends Paulette, Emmet and her pet chihuahua Bruiser, she learns that it is so much better to be smart.

The show is directed by Jerry Mitchell who has won both the Tony Award and the Olivier Award for previous musicals.

It has an all-star cast including Faye Brooks, star of Grease in the West End, who plays Elle; and Iwan Lewis as Emmett. Lewis has also starred in the West End in Fame and Passion at The Donmare Warehouse.

Pop star Gareth Gates and actress Jennifer Ellison will join the cast as characters Warner and Paulette.

There is another rather nice article here too http://www.oxfordmai...210.Legal_High/ Whilst it is nothing new the interviewer seems to be sympathetic and just nice :thumbsup:

GARETH GATES: "I’m a firm believer in going for it whole-heartedly and throwing yourself in..." Gareth Gates has conquered all his demons. And considering he’s always been thrown in at the deep end, Katherine MacAlister can only respect the man who’s had to grow up so publicly. She speaks to him on the eve of his opening night in Legally Blonde The Musical at Oxford’s New Theatre. There’s a pause when you ask Gareth Gates a question, a pause and a breath before you get your answer, as if he’s in Australia and there’s a time delay. But when he does speak, he’s as warm and articulate as you’d imagine, and it takes me a while to realise it’s because he’s dealing with his stutter. Now a speech therapist, alongside being a pop star and musical theatre lead, there’s a lot going on in this Yorkshire lad’s life and he’s taking it all in his stride. But anyone who saw his first heart-breaking Pop Idol audition, when he sung like an angel but couldn’t even say his name, will know how far he’s come. Currently starring in his latest musical Loserville, while rehearsing hard for Legally Blonde, Gareth’s never been one to take things easy. “Things are very hectic at the moment, so it’s quite full on, and there was a nasty moment in rehearsals when I called out the wrong character’s name,” he laughs. “But although it’s quite daunting, it’s really exciting as well. And to be honest all you have to do is get out there, say your lines and sing.” And yet, while he has always been able to sing, his speech is obviously still a problem, so how does he deal with his stutter on stage? “I only stutter when I’m Gareth Gates, not when I’m Warner (in Legally Blonde) or Eddie (in Loserville). And once you get into the flow of it, the lines come quite easily. I just have to work a bit harder at rehearsals. And it means I now have a certain level of confidence and it has opened up many more doors for some really great roles,” he smiles. “But I’m not cured, I just take measures to control it. But I still go through ups and downs and my speech crumbled on a TV show the other day and that’s a hard thing to swallow,” he admits. It must also be a relief to share the stage, I point out, having watched his home filmed documentary Whatever Happened To Gareth Gates? about life after Pop Idol, where he lost out to Will Young, left, depicting him as a rather lost and lonely character. “Absolutely, being part of a cast and not being on your own is a lovely thing. But acting is about listening and responding as well and has a whole new set of challenges and things to learn. And as usual I’ve had to learn them on the job,” he grins. But isn’t that always his way? Pop Idol comes along, one audition and suddenly he’s a platinum albumed pop star who then disappears again as quickly as he arrived. “I know, I always learn the hard way, but I’m a firm believer in going for it whole-heartedly and throwing yourself in,” he says. “So doing the show was my training and my apprenticeship.” The fact that he’s also a classically trained musician seems to go largely unreported however. Gates achieved Grade 8 in piano, classical guitar and singing and had gained a place at the Royal Northern College of Music in Manchester before the finals of Pop Idol. “No one’s very interested in that bit, but I wouldn’t have got these roles without it,” he acknowledges. “And ever since I was a child I’ve loved musicals and I did Joseph at school so it was great to then get the opportunity to do it in the West End and then do Les Miserables.” So is there a big difference between performing as an artist and an actor? “It’s more challenging to perform in front of a theatre crowd but if you already have a stage presence then that’s it. “But theatre is much more nerve-wracking because you have to say your lines and play someone else and the portrayal has to be right, so there’s more to think about than just how to deliver a song,” he explains. Things on the home front seem much calmer as well, Gareth now being married with a three-year-old daughter. “I was ready for a break,” he says, “I had been on the road for four years and it was quite intense, because it (his fame) wasn’t just in the UK, it was in Asia and Europe and South Africa and I was away for months at a time, and although it was the best time of my life, it was good to come home and have a bit of normalness. “So my wife and daughter come on tour with me wherever possible and I get home as often as I can.” As for the musical, Gareth says Legally Blonde is true to the film but successful because of the music. “Plus it’s very, very funny, touching and high energy,” he adds. “And my co-star Jennifer Ellison, pictured left, brings a lot to the part.” As for coming to Oxford, he says: “It’s a beautiful place. I am really looking forward to spending the whole week there. And I’m really enjoying musical theatre, so I’m going to keep at it. That’s not to say being a recording artist is a closed door, it’s not, but for now I’m doing this, and so far so good.” Amen.