Val4Gareth

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

This is an interesting read in the Birmingham Mail , the article is also in the Coventry Telegraph :thumbsup:

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/theatre/gareth-gates-heads-to-the-midlands-for-boogie-379621

• Gareth Gates heads to the midlands for Boogie Nights The Musical In Concert 21 Dec 2012 12:05

Gareth Gates will have no shortage of friendly faces in the audience when he takes to the stage at Symphony Hall alongside the Osmonds next year.

PM2641597@.jpgGareth Gates

His father is originally from Birmingham and he still has lots of relatives who live in the area.

“I have got five aunties who live in Birmingham and lots of cousins. They are all really looking forward to coming to see the show, seeing me and the old heartthrobs.”

Those“old heartthrobs” originally recorded some of the hits that are being featured in Boogie Nights The 70s Musical in Concert, which is packed with classics from back in the day.

Jimmy Osmond, who starred in the stage version in 2004, will be joined by his brothers Merrill and Jay. X Factor contestants Chico and Andy Abraham will also be performing, along with former EastEnder Louise Lytton and Shane Ritchie Jnr, who takes over the role first played by his father.

As well as some disco numbers, Gareth will also be tackling Donny Osmond’s Puppy Love – in front of his brothers.

“I am thrilled about that,” he says. “I grew up listening to these songs. My mum loved the Osmonds.”

Normally when he visits Birmingham, Gareth tries to take time to meet up with his relatives.

“I spent a lot of my summer holidays there. My dad lived there up until he was about 21, then he moved to Bradford and met my mum.

“I still spend a fair bit of time in Birmingham, at various family events, birthdays or anniversaries.

“My dad is also a big Blues fan so we will try and watch Birmingham at some point. I support Leeds, although I am from Bradford. It is just they were always the better team when I was younger.

PM2645678@.jpgBoogie Nights The Musical In Concert

“They are in the Championship so every time Leeds play Birmingham we try to get to the game.”

He enjoyed a long stay in the city when he was appearing as Marius in Les Misérables at the Hippodrome.

Sadly, he didn’t get the chance to audition for the role in the film set to be released in January and starring Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe.

“I think they knew years ago who they wanted for each role,’’ says Gareth, regretfully. “But the girl who is playing Eponine, Samantha Barks, was my Eponine in the West End. She is a great singer and wonderful actress.

“The rest of the stars are known names from film, so for Samantha to get a part like Eponine was just incredible.”

Gareth has been focusing a lot on theatre lately, performing in shows such as Joseph and the Technicolour Dreamcoat, Legally Blonde and Loserville. However, he is looking at going back into the studio with his band.

“I haven’t thought about music all that much right up until recently when I formed my band and we are now writing my new album. There are no dates for when I am releasing it or what style it will be. We have only just started.”

As a 17-year-old Gareth, now 28, was at the forefront of the creation of pop stars through talent competitions when he was on Pop Idol.

Though he came second to Will Young, he carved out a successful singing career himself.

In spite of the viewing figures for X Factor, the successor to Pop Idol, appearing to be in a downward spiral, Gareth still believes there is life left in the format.

“This series was a bit tired if I am honest. James (Arthur) was the only artist who brought something fresh every week.

“But I think shows like this are great platforms for people to be seen and be noticed as performers. It worked for me and Will and it still works. Look at One Direction. They were a product of the X Factor and are now storming the States.”

* Boogie Nights The Musical In Concert will be at Civic Hall, Wolverhampton, on February 7 and 8, and at Symphony Hall, Birmingham, on February 9.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to know you are now booked for Bournemouth Khelda and Emily. Not long to wait now. :thumbsup:

Here Gareth talks of being an Eighth Welsh :unsure:http://www.dailypost.co.uk/leisure/entertainment-news/2013/01/04/gareth-gates-performs-in-boogie-nights-at-venue-cymru-55578-32545066/

and here he talks of his links with Birmingham (..... and his dad being a Blues fan BOOOOHHH)!!

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/theatre/gareth-gates-heads-to-the-midlands-for-boogie-379621

Another good article about the show and Gareth. :)

Pop Idol's Gareth Gates talks Boogie Nights

January 07, 2013

GARETH GATES, who is to play the role of Dean in Boogie Nights – The 70s Musical, coming to Guildford’s G Live soon, was beaten only by Will Young in Pop Idol.

While Young has gone on to have a stratospheric career as a solo pop artist, Gates' work has been more diverse. After an initial string of chart hits, he moved into musical theatre.

“Looking back to Pop Idol, that whole experience was incredible – going from not many people knowing me to everyone knowing my name. Of course it meant no more privacy,” said Gates, who recently separated from his wife Suzanne, the mother of his three-year-old daughter Missy.

“So I’m pleased I was only 17 at the time. It was all fun and I took it in my stride. It opened doors and I sold millions of records which was great and now I’m acting, which I never thought I would be able to do with my speech. I had to really work hard.”

He seems ambivalent about X Factor-style TV talent shows now though.

“It’s certainly tough and as a contestant you have to be strong. I was fortunate to have a supportive family and friends and was always OK.

"In terms of these shows, I do think it’s a great platform. The critics knock it but it is still working, with winners like One Direction.

"But I watched a few episodes of the latest X Factor and it did seem a little tired in places. I was pleased James Arthur won. He was the only one who was fresh and brought something new to the show.”

Being able to control his stammer enough to act has been a personal victory for Gates, who has starred in West End musicals such as Joseph, Les Miserables, Loserville and Legally Blonde.

He still faces a daily struggle with his speech although a technique called the McGuire Programme improves it dramatically as long as he practices its methods regularly. He has also qualified as an instructor in the programme.

But it was music that first liberated him from his stammer, Gates saying: “I wasn’t able to speak as a child so when I discovered I could sing at the age of eight it was an epiphany and from then life became all about music.

"I’ve certainly not closed any doors on being a pop artist. In fact I’m writing a new album which I hope will be out next year.

"I’d love to return to recording and I will. I think my career will be a mixture of both acting and making music.

"I do corporate and charity gigs with by band and when I’m on stage with them I’m at my happiest.”

Boogie Nights is being promoted as the 'concert' version of the original West End show. According to Gates, while the current show still has some linking dialogue, it’s predominantly a pop concert of 70s disco music.

It will team him up with 70s legends The Osmonds as well as Louisa Lytton, Andy Abraham, Chico and Shane Richie Junior.

Gates was not even born when the hits he sings in the show had their heyday, but said they were numbers everyone knows.

“One of my personal favourites is If You Leave Me Now and I’m thrilled that I’ll be singing Puppy Love with The Osmonds as backing singers. They did an arena tour recently and obviously still have a massive fan base. If you like music from that era it is the perfect night out.”

Boogie Nights – The 70s Musical in Concert is on at G Live on Sunday, February 3 at 7.30pm. For tickets visit www.GLive.co.uk, call 0844 7701 797 or book at the ticketing desk in the main foyer.

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/entertainment/music/s/2126650_pop_idols_gareth_gates_talks_boogie_nights

That's a very good article.

Shame the comparison between Will and Gareth still. Don't suppose it will ever be any different.

Like this bit:

"I’d love to return to recording and I will. I think my career will be a mixture of both acting and making music.

I think this is how it will be for Gareth.

He is lucky. Lots would be so grateful to be in his position.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest NicolaJayne

It was a really lovely interview and nice to hear Gareth speaking about Booge Nights,not long to wait now. I think this is going to be a real feel good toe tapping show.

Forgot to say thank you Val for putting it on here, but saw it first on Facebook when one of my friends shared it.