T&A 23/12 new account incl.(3/1)

R4RLJ

"Fluent"Gareth returns for reading

Bradford's own pop idol Gareth Gates returned to the city to fulfil an ambition.

The pop star and former pupil came back to Dixons City Technology College for its Christmas concert at the EI Shaddai International Christian Centre in Bowling Old Lane.

Gareth, who has publicly battled and overcome speech problems, had specifically requested the oppertunity to do a reading at the concert as this had always been an ambition of his whilst he was at school.

Despite his stammer, he had been scheduled tp read in 2002 but his sucess in Pop Idol meant he left the college just before the event. Before reading a short poem - The Song of Wandering Aengus by W.B. Yeats - Gareth spoke for a few minutes about his enjoyment of his time at Dixons CTC and how much he owed to the McGuire Speech Therapy Course.

Principal Sir John Lewis said "Gareth spoke easily and fluently and amazed all who had known him previously with the extent of the transformation".

Thank you for this.

How wonderful for Gareth.

There must have been more difficult/almost impossible situations for him to overcome than most of us can imagine and it is so good to hear that he is continuing to fulfill them now. This must have been very special for him.

QUOTE(R4RLJ @ Dec 23 2004, 10:23 PM)

Shall we add the poem to the thread?

yes please.

I think this is it, it's what came up on the search anyway, lol :D

The Song of Wandering Aengus

I went out to the hazel wood,

Because a fire was in my head,

And cut and peeled a hazel wand,

And hooked a berry to a thread;

And when white moths were on the wing,

And moth-like stars were flickering out,

I dropped the berry in a stream

And caught a little silver trout.

When I had laid it on the floor

I went to blow the fire a-flame,

But something rustled on the floor,

And someone called me by my name:

It had become a glimmering girl

With apple blossom in her hair

Who called me by my name and ran

And faded through the brightening air.

Though I am old with wandering

Through hollow lands and hilly lands,

I will find out where she has gone,

And kiss her lips and take her hands;

And walk among long dappled grass,

And pluck till time and times are done,

The silver apples of the moon,

The golden apples of the sun.

Thanks for letting us know about this.

This is one special guy who just gets on with his life but wants to fulfill personal ambitions. As had already been said we really are not aware of what hurdles he has had to overcome.

I would rather read about this than any No.1. record.

Well done Gareth.

That really is wonderful. I echo what eternal has said - it is fabulous that this young man is able to reach his personal goals and to spread so much joy whilst doing so. :wub:

Good for the T&A for telling us and thanks for posting. Lovely poem isn't it?

• 2 weeks later...

I just found this post on GG from a new member and I had to post it here. how lovley to get more info on the night.

Hi there - this is my first post as a new member and as an avid (older) Gareth fan living in Bradford, who along with my daughter have seen him perform live on several occasions, I simply had to respond. A friend of mine was lucky enough to attend the evening at Dixons and told me about this in great detail, the T & A didnt do Gareth justice! Apparently the whole audience was in tears at the end of his speech, it was such a triumph for him and a night she and everyone else present will never forget. I'm pleased that my local paper didnt miss the opportunity to let the public know about Gareth's achievement. It makes a welcome change from the adverse publicity of other national publications. Long may Gareth reign!