Gareth Lights Up The City

Yorksheather

In Tonights T&A pic of Gareth at the top of the front page,Gareth Lights Up The City,Crowds flock to swith on-p.18-19

Huge pic of Gareth on page 18,report by Fiona Evans.

Crowds of people braved snow and sleet to watch Gareth Gates switch on Bradford's Christmas lights last night.

Despite freezing weather,swarms of children,teenagers and their families flocked to Centenary Square to welcome the pop sensation back to his home city.

For the fourth year in a row Gareth was given a rapturous reception by his adoring fans as he stepped on to the stage.

The pop star was given a helping hand from seven-year-old school-boy Joseph Dracup,who won a T&A competition,to pull a cracker with his pop idol to swich on the lights.

Joseseph,of Tannerbrooke Close,Clayton,said"I told all my friends at school and some of them came to see mw.I was exited".

His mum Sue,38 said: "It was brilliant.I was as excited as Joseph because I am a big Gareth fan.

This was the fourth year we were at the switch -on, but this was a dream come true.As soon as we came out of the house and saw it was snowing Joseph cheered because he thinks it's Christmas when it snows".

Some teenage fans were in raptures as the chart-topper sang yards from them and played along for a heaving crowd which spilled out into the city centre.

As the crowd tripped the light fantastic,Gareth and Joseph pulled apart a huge Christmas cracker to set the city alight.

An explosion of colour erupted around Centenary Square and throuout the city centre where fireworks illuminated the sky high above City Hall.

Children clapped in delight as their parents held them skyward to see the illuminations which stretched from Centenary Square into the city centre.

Gareth was joined by a raft of celebrities to warm up the freezing crowds and lift their spirits,including Bradford Bulls star Robbie Paul and Bradford City footballer Wayne Jacobs.

Robbie said :"It was awesome to see so many people.When I saw how terrible the weather was I wondered what it would be like but everyone was enjoying themselves with big smiles on their faces.

"We couldn't have had worse weather but maybe it was an omen for a white Christmas this year".

Pulse Breakfast team Matt and Elisa helped to take the crowd's mind off the cold and music from Gareth's sister Nichola,plus Kubrick,Phixx,24/7 and Rooster had them on their feet dancing.

Council leader Margaret Eaton said:"I couldn't beleive the weather but the fact that so many people were out there in the snow shows the great spirit of people in Bradford.The atmosphere was great and now the countdown to Christmas has started".

Children huddled under umbrellas and clung to each other to keep warm but there was nothing but praise from the crowds for the magical spectacular.

Maria Christy ,46 of Bolton Woods,took grandchildren Choe Husarz,four,and Jordan,three.She said:"It was very good.This was the first time we have been to the switch-on and I was surprised by the number of people".

Her daughter Suzanne added:"Chloe is a big Gareth Gates fan.It was fantastic.The lights were really good and the atmosphere was as good as at a Bulls'game"

Laura Walsh,17,of Swainhouse said: "It was great last year so I wanted to come back.The weather didn't put me off".

Neil Hornby,39,of Wibsey said: "I promised my kids we would come because they are big Gareth fans.We couldn't beleive the weather but it was definitely worth it.We wouldn't have missed it for anything".

P19 has a half page pic of Gareth and others on stage at the end of the show,under that is a pic of screaming fans.It say's

WHAT A CRACKER:Gareth and the stars ,along with competition winner Joseph,pull a cracker while below Gareth's fans below go ...well ! crackers! :D

Maybe Rachel will be kind enough to scan us some of the pics later when she is not busy? ;)

Despite freezing weather,swarms of children,teenagers and their families flocked to Centenary Square to welcome the pop sensation back to his home city.

For the fourth year in a row Gareth was given a rapturous reception by his adoring fans as he stepped on to the stage.

How fabulous is it to read that? Does your heart good :)

Thank you for typing all that up Heather - it's just brilliant. :) *Prays that Rachel can do the deed* :D

Karen who? :rolleyes::D

I do so hope Karen Lee from Bradford reads that and is gnashing her teeth! Lol!

well i hope so too :D

she couldnt take away the fact that Bradford loves Gareth and they think highly of him.

you know, me and Eternal and gareth's Melody were discussing the lights when we were on our way home that sincce the organizers heard the crowd screaming out for Gareth even way before the switching of lights started... while queing, they changed the program of the show. we all know who was headling the lights but that all changed when they heard the crowd chanting Gareth's name.

i think (i could be wrong) that's why Rooster was not too pleased that they didnt end the show and was having some jibes to the crowd regarding Gareth (the vocalist was imitating the crowd screaming out Gareth's name.... although i enjoyed the last 2 songs that they performed.)

it was Gareth's nigght all along... HE WAS THE BRIGHTEST STAR!

That is possible Songbird, but I also think that gareth probably sang Silent night as a bonus because they did not have Phixx for some reason, because at first the program said Gareth to sing only 2 songs, which I think would have been the first 2, but he done Silent Night lots of time, so he would have had no trouble adding that on short notice.

I can imagine a serious rock band like Rooster might be a bit :blink: at having all the crowd there for Gaz, but I don't think they were being disrespectful to Gareth - rather just making a joke out of the fact that if they mentioned his name everyone would scream.

yeah and the fact that everyone was wanting gareth to come on next chanting gareth gareth gareth haha

Thank you for typing all that up. It's a lovely report.

Pity if Rooster felt their noses were put out of joint but realistically they should have realised that Gareth would be a great success in his home town and hopefully they would have been warned about the effect he has on people.

I thought it was a shame they didn't mention Gareth's 'Bradford Song'.I wondered if the reporter watched the whole show as Phixx didn't even appear,which must have been a let down for some Phixx fans that had queued with us since 11.am and were a nice group.

As for Rooster,well I didn't blame them,when they came on stage,some Gareth fans were chanting for Gareth,which I think is rude,as fans of others were well behaved.

I liked all the bands which performed,especially the group who sang the old Beatle song(I sang all the way through with them :rolleyes: )

Well i've just got in and there's no paper on the door mat! :angry: plus i forgot to get some today while i was out working lol so have to go shopping now :rolleyes:

I'll post up the pics as soon as i can....unless somebody else does it in the mean time :)

aww thanks

i saw you there by the way!

Very nice. It looks like they were having a lot of fun.

What a shame that they didn't explain that Phixx weren't there or why. The person writing the article probably was there, but maybe assumed they'd missed them, and just copied who was there from the list of who was meant to be there.

I can understand Rooster being annoyed with fans who were chanting for Gareth during their set. It's pretty rude - but hopefully they'll not hold it against him. Even if they don't like pop they'd need to be deaf and stupid to not realises he's a great singer after his performance. :)