Gareth on Britannia

dorral

Guest NicolaJayne

All sounds really wonderful Doris, how special you must have felt with Gareth coming over to speak to you when he came off stage. Also sounds like Gareth has made a lot more fans, which is wonderful, really looking forward to your full report. 

Doris, your little report of Gareth's gig makes me feel all warm inside - it's lovely that others are recognising what we've seen for years. Thanks for writing a bit more about his show and I'm looking forward to your full report when you get home (but I can wait, you continue enjoying your cruise - it's cold and wet here). Please include as much detail as you can because not many of us are going to be on one of these cruises. Things like: what the venue was like; what Gareth wore; what the reaction of the audience was (sounds fantastic from what I've read so far) and of course the list of songs that you said that you have - I'm sure we'd all like to image that we were there with you soaking up the atmosphere.

It was great that you were so close to the piano and lovely that your sister enjoyed Gareth's performance too. I love it when he plays the piano at his gigs - I remember one show when I gave a little squeal when I realised that he was going to be playing. You must have felt so special when Gareth spoke to you when leaving the stage and gave you a hug at the end. Shame you couldn't get tickets to go again but you must have amazing memories anyway.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Love Linda xx

I came home early this morning,have had a fantastic holiday,it was 90* when I left Barbados yesterday evening.

After my 1st post when I said I hadn't bumped into Gareth, the following morning I went down to Breakfast Gareth and Pete were sat next to us,said hello and I  told him we had booked to see them on the Monday.When we went for Lunch later G and Pete were sat about 3 tables away.They finished their lunch before us and came over to the table to speak,we were laughing about how big the ship was and how we were all getting lost.(It turned out Pete was still getting lost on the 5th day), he came up a staircase where we were sitting and asked if we had seen G.he was trying to find the Gym,he was on the wrong side of the ship.We bumped into Gareth and Pete several times they always stopped to speak.One time I was coming out of the Buffet it was afternoon tea I had 2 cups of tea and 2 biscuits they laughed and said all them cakes etc and you've got 2 biscuits.

Gareth and Pete said everyone had been lovely to them.

I never went out of my way to look for G.when we saw them sunbathing or swimming I would never have taken a picture or asked for one when we met.

Limelight Theatre

We all had to be seated by 6-30 pm the waiters took food and drinks orders,The entertainment manager then told us how  the evening was planned.We would have a appitizer,starter and main course,the tables would be cleared, Gareth would come on and do a 15 mins set.After that dessert and coffee was served and cleared with Gareth then coming back to do another 1 hour set. Because I was so near the stage the manager was chatting to me,  each night a different person introduced him.At the end of the night he was selling Gareth CD,he was also enthusing to me how talented Gareth was,he hadn't seen a reaction like that  in the limelight club before,people up dancing,Gareth was dancing with them while he was singing.one man dancing with his wife was singing,Gareth saw him and sent him up on stage saying" I'll dance with your wife you go up there and sing"The man got carried away, near the end of the song pete wispered for him to give G the mike back.The last song was spirit in the sky he got a couple of people opposite to sing then he turned round looked at me and said " I know who I'm going to sing with now"

Half way through the set Gareth asked Pete what they were singing next,they had forgotten the list,both forgot so Gareth ran to the dressing room for it.

Song List

Piano 2 songs 

I BELIEVE I CAN FLY

YESTERDAY

Then he sang

I've got sunshine

MY Girl

Suspicious minds, after which we had dessert and coffee

2nd set Piano   tAll of me

For every Word

Dancing with My Father (that was just beautiful)

Sang His and pete's version of FAITH, VALERIE, ,ANY ONE OF US.

Piano      UNCHAINED MELODY, SWEET CHILD OF MINE,

SANG     BROWN EYED GIRL, FOOTLOOSE, SPIRIT IN TH SKY

People shouted for more so they sang MUSTANG SALLY.

Gareth kept correcting the manager when he said Gareth Gates, Gareth said "And PETE"

When we were getting back on the ship  in the Afternoon in TObago, Gareth and Pete were getting Off the ship to go home,they stopped and said they hoped we enjoyed the rest of our cruise,

I thanked Gareth for making the first week of my holiday so special he said " Awwwww Bless you" and gave me another hug.

I

Thanks for coming on so soon after arriving home from your holidays. Sounds like you have had a great time. 

How lucky are we to have someone who booked their cruise and able to bring us the details of Gareth's petformance as the entertainment. 

Loving all the details ( including getting lost on the ship) and the set list too.

The photos are lovely. Gareth looks very handsome.

Am sure I will keep revisiting your post to check it as so much you have told us.

Thankyou for sharing with us.

Thank you Doris for posting your great report , I have just really enjoyed reading that . It must have been amazing to be on the cruise  when Gareth was performing . Your photos are gorgeous . I have never been on a cruise and I'm sure I would get lost on the ship like Gareth . I'm glad you had such a lovely holiday :)

Thank you so much Doris for your report, it sounds as though you had an amazing time and I love it that Gareth and Pete  made so much effort to talk to you and Linda when they  saw you. The evening sounds fantastic and was obviously enjoyed by everyone there, I bet you nearly died when he said he was going to sing with you! The photos are great, Gareth looks gorgeous and I think it's the only time you've had you're photo taken with him so even more special. :D

Love Val xxx

Khelda it was    " THE VERY BEST OF GARETH GATES" they sold quite a lot the night I was there,Gareth signed them all.

Gareth said he and Pete had never cruised before,they were liking it. They do the show in the evening the rest of the time is there own. They can go off the ship during the day to explore the Islands.

I really enjoyed reading your detailed report Doris and could almost imagine I was there!  It sounds like you have had such a fantastic time and I was pleased to read that Gareth and Pete chatted to you during the day too.  He really does go over and above what other artists would do.  I also think there was a very good mix of songs he sang as there was something for everyone.  The photos are very good and I also too think I will be reading your report again!  

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NicolaJayne

This is the first time I have seen your full report since you got home Doris and have read it a few times, mesmerised.

Have not been on for a while as been busy with the family being half term. 

Gareth sounds  to have really won the audience over, although I am not surprised at that. I didn't know that Pete was with him. Bet Gareth is having the time of his life, combining work with a holiday, nice work if you can get it. 

You did so well remembering all the songs that he sang  and it must have been so wonderful to have been so close and can't think of anything better that sitting relaxed watching Gareth sing. You described it so well I could imagine myself being there. Also never knowing when you was going to bump in to him around the ship must have been so exciting. 

I have been on a Caribbean Cruise a few years ago for two weeks, so probably visited all the same places, and know how amazing the food is and how huge the ship is, so easy to get lost. But wasn't lucky enough to have Gareth as the entertainment. 

Gareths Mum is with him this week, bet she is loving it, shame Faye couldn't join them but she has a very good storyline in Corrie at the moment, so wouldn't be able to get time off.

I am looking forward to seeing  him at Pizza Express shortly all being well.

Nearly forgot to say your pics are lovely.

Thanks so much for your report and photos, Doris. Have read it lots of times and have been meaning to reply properly - still haven't time to do that at the moment, but so pleased that you were able to be part of Gareth's first cruise. I'm going to Pizza Express on Saturday with Chris and Yvonne and my sister-in-law and her friend, so I'm hoping that his set is much like you had on the cruise.

Thanks,

Linda xx