Tour reviews : General

Floz

What follows is a series of personal accounts and newspaper reports, originally posted on GG............

A selection from the tour reviews

GLASGOW

Gareth proved his critics wrong, with the high energy charged performance and left his fans wanting more as he strutted off stage.

BIRMINGHAM

Gareth carried the show with the utmost confidence.

The audience went wild when he performed energetic dance routines and to show he was not just a pretty face the star thrashed out a tune on an electric guitar, played two piano pieces and managed to perform an impressive drum solo.

SHEFFIELD

In a refreshing change to most of his pop peers the boy can sing and performed live throughout. He has worked hard to correct the stammer that helped rocket him to stardom and bravely spoke to his fans throughout encouraging anyone with "problems or disabilities" to overcome them.

No one can deny that Mr Gates has achieved a lot in the two and a half years since he first appeared on Pop Idol. He is the youngest British male to have a chart topping single, has won Record of the Year, written two books, collected several pop awards and now has a few million in the bank.

NEWCASTLE

How would he cut it on his own? Not too badly at all if his debut solo show at the Arena is anything to go by.

An impressive array of pyrotechnics and well choreographed dance moves followed.......Gareth's new material is largely his own work.

Breezing through his act like a seasoned professional it was obvious we were witnessing a more mature Gareth.....

MANCHESTER

His voice possesses a startling range that can take him from the bottom of the scale right up to the ear splitting highs and a versatility that soothes softly through the ballads, beats out to those blues and roars out rock

Okay, so he can write his own songs, but he can also play them too..........Gareth showed he's a very able musician, playing the guitar and keyboards with astonishing skills and the drums like a demon!

Truly an entertainer, the boy was born to perform!

...if you are as cynical and jaded as me you probably never expected him to play the guitar, drums and keyboard and sing his little lungs out for two whole hours........He danced, he sang, he rocked, and he banged on his drums!

NATIONAL NEWSPAPERS

Gareth Gates kicked off his Go Your Own Way Tour on Saturday and proved he is more than a karaoke kid. He showed us he can actually play not just the one musical instrument but two,(?) as he picked up the drums and electric guitar.

New track Go Your Own Way is a decent stab at blue eyed soul.....he plays suprisingly fantastic drums!

As the night wore on Gareth got less cute and more edgy, performing mature-sounding tracks such as Freak my Baby and Just Say Yes.

With thanks to Matilda on ggates who pulled them all together in the first place

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A selection of fan's reactions - and the set list. Originally posted by Mum's the Word on GG

First we have a general consensus that the whole tour has been a resounding success, with Gareth performing before over 50,000 excited and happy people within the space of a week. Gareth also told us in his diary that he had been working very hard rehearsing since his return from Asia and they had built a special mock-up of the set in Pinewood Studios.

A special warm welcome to all new board members who have posted just to say how much they enjoyed it.

The following shows the list of songs performed with such energy and accomplishment:

Concert Songs (Feb/March 2004)

Unchained Melody

Foolish

**Freak My Baby

Soul Affection

**Just Say Yes

**Enough Of Me (Gareth on electricguitar)

*Sentimental

Sunshine

Piano Medley:

Thats When You Know

Hard To Say I’m Sorry

Overjoyed

What My Heart Wants To Say

Suspicious Minds

Suspicious Minds (Play Off)

Drumming session

**Club Hoppin’

**Grove With Me

Grease

**All Cried Out

**Go Your Own Way

Anyone Of Us

Spirit In The Sky

Say It Isnt So

* Gates, co-written song off first album

**Gates, main song writer second album

But, the concert was much more than just a list of songs. It was a showcase for an amazing array of talent – songwriter, singer, instrumentalist (saxophone, trombone and flute will have to wait until the next concert), dancer, storyteller, magician. In short Mr Entertainer.

Gifts for Gareth

Well, there were lots of presents lavished on our boy at the ‘Meet and Greets’ including a jigsaw, flowers, chocolates, pictures, maps and charts, but this one really takes the biscuit, thanks to Pinky, Helen, Ava, Roz and Chan:

cookie.jpg

The following are a selection of soundbites and observations from people actually at the concert venues:

This account could probably speak for all venues:

Shellcoll

“What a night! I can't believe it. I'm still on a high. Can't stop talking and thinking about it. This was a different Gareth to the amazing Tour we saw last year. In control, even more confident, able to interact with the audience. He showed himself to be the multi-talented artist that we all knew he was, and as well as that, a professional musician. It wasn't just a concert either, it was a show.

On a lighter note, they've got the hairstyle perfect now. The first outfit to me was the best. Really chunky pale blue denim , casual and cuddly. The dance moves they looked so natural.

Foolish fans...you will NOT be disappointed. Vocals were spot on, with no adaptions and perfect pitch as always.

Spirit In The Sky is superb too. The dance has been adapted and looks much funkier, and there he wears the black suit.

I think for me the most astounding bit was Gareth on electric guitar in Enough Of Me, although it's a toss up between that and the drum 'scene'. Knock me down with a feather.”

Six Nights with Mr Gates

Sugarboxgirl and her mum, Gareth’s Melody, just created a new world record after spending six nights with Mr Gates, and having the time of their lives!!

But for us mere mortals, the following selection is quite any eye opener:

GLASGOW 28th February

198617 “………. I took my sister with me and she really couldn't stand him, and in Glasgow kept on moaning saying to me I would be better of going alone with out her. But when he got on the stage he gave a wicked performance, shocking her and showing her that she was so wrong. She even screamed more than me and I had to drag her away. She even boasted to her friends when we got home that he was way better than any concerts she had been too. So I am very pleased about that my posters can stay. So as you can tell, I had the time of my life.”

BIRMINGHAM 29th February

Matilda

“I was touched by all the youngsters in the Disabled section, all clutching their banners and light strobes and souvenirs, and the joy on their faces when Gareth appeared.

I was touched by the reaction of the audience when they first saw Gareth and all as one rose to their feet, and the incredible noise of the drumming of their feet and the sound of their screaming was so moving.

When he started to speak and with only small hesitations showed us how brilliantly he has worked on his speech, the lump in my throat was enormous.”

Connie Gates

“I knew he could play drums but had never seen it. Wow, I would have expected piano and guitar, but drums was an added bonus!!!!

What really made my night was seeing him perform 'Enough of me' on that gorgeous (to match its owner) Gibson Le Paul guitar. I just loved the way he stood with it. Made me go all weak at the knees!”

Sweetie Pie

“I loved the bit where he had some fluff on his face and he stopped in the middle of his song and asked where it was, and then his make up man came on and got it off and did his hair. That was funny.

Oh, and the bra that someone threw on the stage and he said I AM KEEPING THAT and slung it over his shoulder”

SHEFFIELD 2nd March

Wicked Laydeee (about the meet and greet)

“LMAO! And I'm pleased to say that I didn't cry INFRONT of him! LOL! I was shaking like a leaf! He was signing my stuff and I was talking to him fine then he looked up at me with his little puppy dog eyes and I kinda lost it! LMAO! Just stood there gazing into his eyes and he was there staring at me! Lol! How embarrassing! As soon as I got out of the door and down the corridor a bit I burst into tears! Lol! I was shaking still and I was going "I’m gonna ring my mum!" LOL! When I was having my picture taken with him, he actually put his hand on my ass & was kinda rubbing & squeezing it! *Faints!* ”

…….and this is about the concert itself

Maggiemags

“Just home - and I loved every minute of it. My friend who came with me and is not a particular fan was absolutely blown away. She couldn't get over his speech, his singing or his instrument playing - don't think she's ever seen him play.

I can't get over his voice. I often worry that we hype ourselves up on here to believe he's something more than he actually is, but no. I was captivated by every sound he made - brilliant.”

NEWCASTLE 3rd March

Mar

“I was there too, I was flying over from Holland to see Gareth and he was amazing. A taxi driver who take us from the airport to the hotel, asked us if we were going to the football game !!!! NO, we said, we are going to Gareth Gates.

He said, “What???? you are travelling so far to see Gareth singing????? Then he must be very special!”

Gareth’s show was fantastic, and he’s speaking was very good. I am so happy that we have seen Gareth. I’ll never forget it. It was GREAT.”

MANCHESTER 4th March

OldieGazet

“OMG what a brilliant show it was!!!! Gareth is a TRUE STAR, he has been born to be a STAR and be on stage!!!!!!!

The best thing is that a lot of people changed their mind about Gareth. When the concert finished I heard a lot of people saying: 'I didn't really know that he is so talented', even security was saying that!!!!”

Alijess

I am a 39 year old mum who took her daughter to see Gareth at the MEN last night, and god has he got talent, and boy can he play those drums. I am truly certain that this Tour will give Gareth the overdue recognition that he so deserves and that the critics can finally choke on their words after saying that he was just another Pop Idol flop!! “

WEMBLEY 6th March

Gee Gee

It’s amazing what you can learn in toilet queue-

“I was talking to a young girl at the end who said she had gone off him a bit recently, but after last nights show she was definitely “back on" and a huge fan again. We were all on a high and saying about how we all loved him no matter how old we were. One teenager I was talking to said that her aunt was crying and there she was in the queue crying (not a youngster either). Another older lady said WOW, I am now going home to ravage my husband. That made me laugh.”

Ripple

Hey, I think I've been converted into a Gareth fan! I went to see it last night with a friend who adores him.…..wasn't sure if I was going to like it but it was surprisingly good! I really like his new music...not so keen on he's original music...not really into the proper cheesy pop music, but he's new stuff is wicked!!!

Can I just say he is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO talented, I didn't realise he could play all those different instruments and dance so well! I knew he would sing live and I really respect artists who do that!

Laylax

Well, I've never been a huge Gareth fan, but when my friend said she had a spare ticket and would I like to go. I said yes. And I am so glad I went. It was absolutely great and I can’t believe what a lovely bloke Gareth is. He is a sweetheart. He blew me away - that’s quite strange coming from someone who loves Eminem. Well, Gareth you’ve done yourself justice, and no matter what anyone thinks of you, you are truly talented. The best bit was when he was playing on the guitar. Didn’t he look proper hot!! My friend wouldn’t stop crying, bless her.

Frankie C

“Gary, my son. who doesn't mind me telling you he is 47. He has been to hundreds of gigs by many types of bands and roadied for my son Andy when he played in a heavy metal band some years ago. He said,"I have enjoyed the concert very much and Gareth is a very talented young man who should have a long career. He must be allowed to "go his own way" and do his own thing and not be restricted by his management".

I have to say that coming from a mature man (son or no son) who knows quite a lot about music, what he said about Gareth warms my heart.

Night Crawler

I came by coach……..When we stopped at one place to pick up there were 4 elderly ladies and I said to my friend, “They are not going to see Gareth.” Lo and behold on the coach they jumped. When we got to Wembley they sat right behind us. When Gareth came out the screams from them were deafening, and all I kept hearing when they weren’t screaming was “Oh Gareth, Oh Gareth, Oh, look at him.” In the row in front was an elderly man with his son, he was bopping about all night and the look on his face was a picture. He was having the time of his life.

It wasnt just screaming kids and teenagers. There were older fans having the time of their lives as well. I forgot to say, I saw some bikers come in as well -perhaps they had heard about the drums and guitar.

Thanks to Snowdrop for this (15th March 2004)

UK TOUR AFTERMATH

Sneak had the following feature. (with a lovely pic too)

The text says:

Gareth Gates showed off his new skills as a mean mover and a sweaty rock star during his recent UK tour, he grooved raunchily on stage and showed off his guitar and drumming skills!

But it was Gareth's talking that got the loudest cheer. After months of intensive voice coaching, Gaz proved that he's put his troubled year well and truly behind him.

.........the star’s stammer seems almost cured, allowing him to perform with a new, superstar confidence. Watch out Robbie!

Of course some parts of the press weren’t quite so honest and tried to stir up trouble – even going so far as to suggest Gareth was miming his guitar, but thankfully some parts of the media refused to play ball. This included Fiona Phillips on GMTV, who made a point of saying she felt his press was unfair and it was out of order. She told of how in her capacity as columnist for The Mirror she’d received many, many emails of praise including this one in response to the previous week’s section on the importance of music in schools ….

Golden Gates

I read Fiona Phillip's comments on the importance of music in schools with interest (Daily Mirror, March 6). I took my niece to see Gareth Gates recently and was gobsmacked by his talent.

He sang live, played piano, guitar and drums. He danced, spoke to fans and you could see the look of joy on his face. I had tears in my eyes.

This resulted in a direct comment from Fiona in her weekly column in the Daily Mirror:

I've received many e-mails this week about a certain pop idol. One lady said she was "gobsmacked to witness his musical talents".

Another was "blown away by his medley on piano, guitar and wow what a drum solo he performed".

"His sheer talent and enthusiasm had the crowd raising the roof," said another who liked the show.

Surely they can't be talking about the same Gareth Gates who is performing to half-empty auditoriums according to some poisonous critics?

A lot of new members joined the GG boards after the tour and many of those have taken time to post complimentary comments. The positive feedback keeps rolling in and a few samples are quoted below:

The first was from Hooley

I went to Wembley and was totally blown away by Gareth’s amazing talent!

This was the 3rd time I’ve seen him live but it was by far the best. Totally awesome.

I was so touched by the way you could tell he was really enjoying himself and being able to talk to the audience, for him, must have been wonderful. I had tears in my eyes a few times

I’m no spring chicken either. I’m a 48 year old male and I’ve been to loads of gigs in my time but Gareth’s was one of the best!

You Rock Gareth!!

Keep it up

Paul

The following was from Bella boo boo

Last night my sister and I went to Manchester Evening News Arena to see the Pop Idol tour. The doorman was taking out tickets started to explain where our seats were. We told him that we knew where we were going as we are regulars at the arena we had been also been there last week. He asked whom we had been to see last week and we told him it was Gareth.

He then said that he was in the actual arena that night. He said that he was a bit apprehensive at first, because people had told him that Gareth was rubbish and couldn't sing, so he wondered what sort of night he was going to have. But he said that he thought Gareth was absolutely wonderful and what a talented young man he is, he was amazed by his voice and also his musical abilities he particularly liked it when he played the drums. He then finished by saying that he wished that some of these people who had said the bad things about him could have seen him live so he could prove his talents to them.

Liz/Sarah had told us how she planned to surprise her daughter with tickets for the MEN? Here is what happened ….

I gave her the envelope tied in the red ribbon with hearts stuck all over the it, and her hands started to shake. She asked me to open the envelope for her. When she saw her ticket she was so excited, and I told her I had mine and her friend’s (who is 16 years old and was not such a big Gareth fan, but she is now!). All the way to the arena Sarah talked non stop about Gareth, and how she wanted to kidnap him and bring him home with us, and the friend driving us said, but he would have to come to church with us on Sunday.

The concert - what can I say, that has not already been said, except out of this world. It was worth keeping the secret, to see the sheer excitement on Sarah’s face, and she had a night that she will remember for a long time to come. I loved every second of that concert, and Gareth has made a lot of people very happy.