Gareth In The T & A (Wed Nov 18th)

Yorksheather

I have just been talking to Anne Gates,who has arrived in Bradford from Devon and bought the T&A.She tells me Gareth is mentioned in an article,with a pic of him at This Years Bradfords Bravest Awards.

Pop star Gareth Gates has spoken of his former school friend Chantelle Bleau ,as her memorial fund prepares to host a national conference.

Chantelle Bleau from Little Horton Bradford died of a heart attack in 1997,after inhaling gas from a lighter refill.

The 16 year old was a class mate of Gareth's at Dixon City Of Technology College.On Friday a conference highlighting the danger of inhaling toxic substances will be hosted at The HanoverHotel ,Bradford,by The Chantelle Bleau Memorial Fund,and the charity Solve It.

Gareth said,"Chantelle was bright,bubbly and full of fun and her death came as an emotional shock to all her school friends.I have fond memories of her,but keep thinking what an appalling waste of a young life it was,when she died,

I'm full of admiration for Chantelle's family setting up this charity,and for all the staff and volunteers who gave so much dedication, and time to making people aware how serious the problem is"

Anne says the line up for the lights are mentioned in the T&A,mentioning Gareth again

Love Heather

Thank you, it makes for interesting reading. I don't know about the current figures, but solvent abuse used to be the most common form of substance abuste leading to death in teenagers to die. More so than the drugs so often heralded as bad - such as heroin. It is also sadly the case that about 50% of those who die due to solvent abuse do so the first time they try it (properly - I don't think sniffing the tippex counts). It's very sad, and can take kids who would not be considered likely to get into trouble and wouldn't touch conventional drugs, but are simply curious.

I don't think Chantelle could have actually been in any of Gareth's classes if she was 16 when she died, but it's possible he knew her through extra curricular activities, such as choir. It's great he can provide a media friendly focus for their work.

Thanks Heather and Ann.

I had a neighbours daughter that did that as well, but she didn't die but it effected her memory, so her life was finished for her academically. I used to see her just walking the streets.

Guest GarethsHotChick
Excellent. Don't you hope that a certain letter writer is reading it also.

I AGREE Floz, It will maybe teach her not to make assumptions about Gareth and not to be so nasty about him. Thank You Heather and Ann for letting us know about it.

I've just finished reading it in the paper. It's a full page, half of it with lights information and the bottom half about Chantelle :)

The other night there was a article about Bradford's Bravest awards and asking for people to be nominated for next years :)

Hehe so cant waittt :D

THANX FOR SCANNING THAT!

me and kate will go buy the paper 2moz.

Wow thanks for that write up R4lJ.

If I shouldnt bump into you tomorrow I wonder if it is possible to get a copy of the newspaper after the turning on of the lights (i.e. the write up) for me please and I will PM you my detail etc.

Songbird of Gaz- I hope you are all ready to go.

I have just been attending to last minute details like bleaching my top lip. (Just in case I get a glance my way).

Am so looking forward to going.

How great is that article? sometimes i despair of the papers, one day printing utter tripe like that Brenda's letter then today filling pages with how wonderful Gareth is - I always thought journalists were a breed apart now I know they are for sure, wonder if the amount of emails they received yesterday re: B's stupid letter led them to print another great article or if again they put in B's reply to gain a response from fans. Perhaps they are trying to gauge how many fans will be there. Who knows!

Only one more sleep!!! Soooo excited! :)

To everyone who is lucky enough to be going - have a wonderful time, wrap up warm and keep your fingers toes and eyes crossed that he doesn't go anywhere near that bloody trampoline between now and then ;):D

FULL report required from you all! :D

Editing to say: Where are my manners??? :rolleyes: Thanks to all involved in bringing us all this news :)

You all better wrap up real warm, gloves, scarfes, hats, and such, apparently very cold weather (maybe snow ) has been forecast.

Sharon did say that there might be snow tom ... dear me... i hope i dont freeze before he comes out... nevertheless i know that when he shows up on that stage tom i will be thawed right away :D