Pictures of the Other Side reviews

Snowdrop

This amazing album has far exceeded my expectations. Each song is a journey,a master class in musicality. The variety of songs is awesome. My favourite track is Electric,this song stood out for me from the first time I heard the clip. The instrumentation on this track is brilliant. I love the guitar ending,so sultry and reminds me of Santana. New Kid In Town is brilliant too and Lost In You. I also love Gareth's vocals and everything about Can't Believe It's Over,which is odd as I didn't like the clip much! I can't keep still listening to Afterglow,in a good way,lol. Talking Minds is a grower,definitely on me anyway. This album screams to be heard live. The lucky people who went to Hyde Park already know this of course.

Killers not fillers. So bloody true. Thanks Gareth for this worth all the wait album. Love it. :heart:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played golf yesterday and Gareth was singing to me all the way around.

I think it was New kids in town, which I find interesting. Just shows it most be catchy.

Totally agree Hazzy, New kid in town is the most catchy song on the album in my book, pity the snippet on Myspace does not do it justice, and its therefore flagging on there a bit. I would love this to be the next single.

Just listening to it now. :frantics:

Totally agree Hazzy, New kid in town is the most catchy song on the album in my book, pity the snippet on Myspace does not do it justice, and its therefore flagging on there a bit. I would love this to be the next single.

Just listening to it now. :frantics:

No! It has to be Electric or LIY. :hyper:

The more I listen to the album - the more I hear within it. I mean all the different instruments and effects. It is such a different style from Gareth which I find refreshing.

My 14 year old says it's good too (had it on in the car) He likes the upbeat tracks like LIY, and New Kid In Town. My hope is that more people his age will hear it and like it as well.

Shellcool, that is exactly what I love too, all the instrumentation in the songs, they are brilliant. And just listen to the song with headphones, you can really hear it then. As Gareth said he find the musical side easier then the writing lyrics, he is a great musician. I love this album, its fantastic.

Just wish lots more people would get to hear it.

My favourite track is Electric,this song stood out for me from the first time I heard the clip. The instrumentation on this track is brilliant. I love the guitar ending,so sultry and reminds me of Santana. ......

I also love Gareth's vocals and everything about Can't Believe It's Over,which is odd as I didn't like the clip much! .

This album screams to be heard live.

Been enjoying the album some more and thinking about your comments Puppygates. Totally agree about the Santana effect at the end of Electric. It clicked suddenly last night when I was listening and I knew exactly what you meant.

I wasn't sure about the clip of CBIO but now think it is my favourite track of the album.

Couldn't agree more that the album needs to be heard Live.

CBIO and Electric, were instant hits with me from the clips.

So when I heard CBIO in full length hit had a great surprise near the end, which really adds to the song.

Now I know the album I feel I can review it properly. First of all a confession (of sorts) - aside from Gareth, my musical obsession is Eurovision and so immense, catchy 3 minute pop songs are what I love most in life (well nearly!) I wasn't exactly thrilled when I heard about the new "serious" direction and for me Gareth is unlikely to ever top Anyone of Us, All Cried Out and Alive but after all my fears POTOS is immense!

I think Changes was probably a mistake as the first single, given what else is on offer, but it's still great. However, tracks 2 - 5 are 4 of the best you could ever hope for. POTOS is wonderful, lyrically intriguing and was my fave live song at Hyde Park. Lost In You is a bundle of energy that demands a wider audience and then we come to 19 minutes. It's so haunting, moving and brilliant that it almost makes you want the pain of having just broken up with someone so that you can feel its power even more! It's my highlight of the album and I don't think any sceptic could deny the quality of it. New Kid In Town is also a fave and cracking, tuneful new Gareth stuff.

Can't believe it's over is exceptional live and isn't as good for me on record but still a great song. Afterglow didn't really work for me initially but now I love it. Lyrically it's great and it does have a touch of the Coldplays at the end. Angel is fantastic and it's only hearing it so often that dulls its effect. I think Electric is great fun and whilst not as instantly loveable as others really grows. Talking Minds is my only disappointment - sorry Gareth!

I feared he may get bogged down in seriousness, but he hasn't forgotten that it's the tunes that matter and POTOS is full of them. If we're being honest, most of us would love almost anything Gareth does, but this is an album that he and we can be proud of and play to our friends in an attenpt to convert them (although i may stop at track 9!)

In true Eurovision style my points are

1 Talking Minds

2 Changes

3 Can't believe it's over

4 Afterglow

5 Electric

6 Angel

7 New Kid

8 Lost In You

10 Pictures of the other

and finally 12 points go to....

19 Minutes

Great review there Nicky :)

I was thinking of coming back to this thread to post and I'd got as far as thinking I would say, 'God, I love this album!' - and I can't get past that :shocked: :mellow: :laugh:

It's in my head ALL the time; I find myself singing it endlessly and I don't play anything else. I've never had that before - not to the same degree. It's just so good and so enjoyable. There's something so different about each song - they all have something about them that draws me back. When it becomes auditory wallpaper - if I'm driving for example - I'll suddenly tune back in and think, 'Wow, this is good - what is it?' and it's 19 Minutes or maybe Can't Believe It's Over ... or any of the other tracks.

There! I managed to get past, 'God, I love this album!'. Just about :laugh:

There! I managed to get past, 'God, I love this album!'. Just about :laugh:

I'm afraid I haven't managed to get past that line yet Maggie. The only progression I've made is that I can now say I love `Afterglow' as much as I love all the rest of the tracks. This is one special album :heart:

My favourite track is Electric,this song stood out for me from the first time I heard the clip. The instrumentation on this track is brilliant. I love the guitar ending,so sultry and reminds me of Santana. ......
Been enjoying the album some more and thinking about your comments Puppygates. Totally agree about the Santana effect at the end of Electric. It clicked suddenly last night when I was listening and I knew exactly what you meant.

I keep thinking about this when I listen to the track and, whilst I know what you mean, I've always 'heard' Isley Brothers' Summer Breeze in the background. Love it. (Have I mentioned that? :tongue: :laugh:

The more I listen to the album - the more I hear within it. I mean all the different instruments and effects.

Impressive isn't it.

Shellcool, that is exactly what I love too, all the instrumentation in the songs, they are brilliant. And just listen to the song with headphones, you can really hear it then......

Headphones are a must. So much to take in.

Talking Minds is my only disappointment - sorry Gareth!

Don't give up on Talking Minds nickyt. It really is a grower. And Gareth wrote it all himself too.

I keep thinking about this when I listen to the track and, whilst I know what you mean, I've always 'heard' Isley Brothers' Summer Breeze in the background. Love it. (Have I mentioned that? :tongue: :laugh:

Will have to listen again with my Isley Bros ears on this time.

I think Talking minds and Afterglow are growers, was not keen on either of them at first, but am warming to them slowly. But I still love Electric, Lost in you, New kid in town, AOMS and Changes best, not to forget Cant believe its over. lol Oh yes and 19 min I love too. :frantics:

Love reading all these snippets of reviews and the reasons why.

Now Talking minds was an instant hit with me, from just the words.

Reminds me to shut mine up lol.

I think this is a brilliant album, I love the music in all the songs, love the instrumentation.

At the moment I have some favourates (which might change over time lol)......

I agree Khelda, especially about changing favourites. When I first heard the album (in snippets) I felt disappointed, but having heard it in full a few times now I think Gareth can be proud. He's certainly matured musically and this album deserves to be heard. It's well balanced and right up to date, with something for everyone I think. My favourites seem to change on each listening, so that now I feel that they are all favourites - I don't feel inclined to skip any, which is a testament to the quality of the album. Gareth's voice is beautiful and never more so than on Can't Believe It's Over. At first I couldn't take to Afterglow, but it's starting to grow on me, as has Talking Minds. If there is to be another single release from the album I think it should be upbeat and catchy - Lost In You stands out for me in this respect. When I saw that there were only ten tracks on the album I felt a little cheated, but I have to say that quality is more important than quantity and there are certainly no 'fillers' here. It's been a long time, but well worth the wait. Thanks Gareth.

My favourites seem to change on each listening, so that now I feel that they are all favourites - I don't feel inclined to skip any, which is a testament to the quality of the album...........

I agree. It's one of those abums I feel is best heard in its entirety as a whole 'work' (of art) I feel bad if I skip a track, as I have to sometimes when my son is in the car and wants to hear Lost in You. :heart: It passes smoothly from one track to another like pages in a good book.

When I saw that there were only ten tracks on the album I felt a little cheated, but I have to say that quality is more important than quantity and there are certainly no 'fillers' here. It's been a long time, but well worth the wait. Thanks Gareth.

Gareth did say in some interview that he knew he had been slated for having too many songs on his former albums, and therefore this time he thought I give 10 tracks, but no fillers. And I have to say that in previous albums I have skipped various songs most time, but on Potos I skip none, love them all. And I cant get enough of it, keep having it on repeat. :D

I really think Lost in you might be the best next single, seeing that quite a few non fans seam to like it.